I have a Curve 8330 which is on my company's BES for Outlook/Email integration. I also have my personal email set up on the Curve via Verizon's pop email connector (whatever you call it.)

I have just become a Realtor, and will be doing that part-time. I don't want to carry two devices. I'm looking for advice on what my options are for maintaining my BES connectivity for job-1, and setting up a separate contacts/calendar/tasks/etc. for job-2 which does not have a BES.

If at all possible, I want to keep my Realty contacts/calendar/tasks/etc. out of my other job's Outlook.
    07-29-09 09:12 AM
    What is your company's policy about moonlighting a second job with regard to your office computers? Personally I would take this as big no-no. Some companies are strict and some are not.

Are you going to be making phone calls on this phone too? If so, you really need to get a second phone to separate your two jobs.
    07-29-09 11:45 AM
    What is your company's policy about moonlighting a second job with regard to your office computers? Personally I would take this as big no-no. Some companies are strict and some are not.

Are you going to be making phone calls on this phone too? If so, you really need to get a second phone to separate your two jobs.
    My companys' policy is that company assets are to be used for company purposes. But, since the phone is my own asset, I can do whatever I want with it. I am pleased that they allow personal BBs to access the BES.

Personally, I wish for the simpler days when every time I leave the house I didn't need to strap a phone, laptop, camera, and other devices to my person. But since these devices are pretty much mandatory today, I lug them around. However, that doesn't mean I want to lug around 2 phones!
    07-29-09 12:01 PM
    I dont think there is any way to keep your contacts, calendar, etc. seperated. Also keep in mind that even though the phone is yours, they can still see everything you do, every email you send, texts, etc. Do you want someone else reading the emails from your second job?
    07-29-09 12:30 PM
    It May Payoff Organizationally To Have Two Seperate Phones.
    07-29-09 12:33 PM
    I have a Curve 8330 which is on my company's BES for Outlook/Email integration. I also have my personal email set up on the Curve via Verizon's pop email connector (whatever you call it.)

I have just become a Realtor, and will be doing that part-time. I don't want to carry two devices. I'm looking for advice on what my options are for maintaining my BES connectivity for job-1, and setting up a separate contacts/calendar/tasks/etc. for job-2 which does not have a BES.

If at all possible, I want to keep my Realty contacts/calendar/tasks/etc. out of my other job's Outlook.
    I think you can set up a Google account and have just that information sync with a google calendar. So when you enter information into your BB calendar choose the correct email (gmail account), you can also choose a different color for it on your BB calendar. Then when you sync with Google...only the gmail info will sync with it. I would think that having two phones would defeat the purpose of having a BB at all.
    07-29-09 12:42 PM
    And to add to the google calendar, maybe the gmail app can work for the email. I'm not sure if google tasks are mobile yet.

Ok just checked, google tasks is available for the bb.
    Last edited by rockigirl; 07-29-09 at 12:54 PM.
    07-29-09 12:48 PM
    I dont think there is any way to keep your contacts, calendar, etc. seperated. Also keep in mind that even though the phone is yours, they can still see everything you do, every email you send, texts, etc. Do you want someone else reading the emails from your second job?
    Well, I'm part of the IT team that manages our BES, so I'm not terribly worried about "big brother" reading my email. Also, how can the BES have access to email that is not sent through the BES?

A second phone is just one more thing to pay for, lose, break, and carry around. Not ideal.

Hmmm, Google? Any links? I've not heard of BB/Google integration before.
    07-29-09 12:56 PM
    Well, I'm part of the IT team that manages our BES, so I'm not terribly worried about "big brother" reading my email. Also, how can the BES have access to email that is not sent through the BES?

A second phone is just one more thing to pay for, lose, break, and carry around. Not ideal.

Hmmm, Google? Any links? I've not heard of BB/Google integration before.
    Check out this link
    Google Mobile
    07-29-09 01:01 PM
    Ok, the contact list is easy, just go to your address book, Menu>Filter, and create another contact list, add the contacts you want to that list. I'll get back on some of the other stuff.

Your Calendar has the ability to separate into multiple Calendars. I have Native and two others linked to my 2-mail addresses. I could synchronize them with Yahoo or Google, but do not do this. You can go to Calendar>Menu>All Calendars, and you can have them separate or conjoined, your choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-29-09 at 01:09 PM.
    07-29-09 01:02 PM
    Also, how can the BES have access to email that is not sent through the BES?
    From what I have been told by my IT dept, they can see everything on my BB. I can't say how true that is but many people have said that you should not expect any privacy when you're hooked up to the BES. I have heard that the BES policy could be setup so that all data gets passed through the BES, even WiFi. I remember a post where someone showed that while browsing the internet over WiFi, everything was still being passed through the BES server.

For Gmail go to gmail.com on the BB and at the top you'll see a link that says 'Get faster Gmail'. This link will download the gmail app for the phone. Not sure on the calendar as I don't use it.
    07-29-09 01:09 PM
    Also, your tasks list has the ability to add categories and filters, also. So your BB is going to be able to handle all of the required functions as requested. You can have a task board for each category, and filter or combine them, however you want.

Be advised, regarding the Calendar, each calendar can be color-coded, and if you combine them, the individual entries will be color-coded on the calendar pages.

07-29-09 01:17 PM
    Here is the link to Google Sync if you decide to link via Google.

Google Mobile

And an article that may be helpful about the process.

How to Sync Google Calendar with Outlook and Smartphones Automatically

Last edited by BergerKing; 07-29-09 at 01:23 PM.
    07-29-09 01:20 PM
    While you can use categories for tasks and contacts, you will still have the problem of them being placed on the BES server which is something to be avoided.

Google calendar is a good option for the calendar portion.

As a side note, the cost for your phone would be a tax write off for your realtor business.
    07-29-09 02:53 PM
    In addition to reiterating the concerns about security, privacy, and company policy regarding BES accounts I'd also like to suggest looking into Google Voice. This can help get you a second phone number for your business so you don't co-mingle with your day job as much.
    07-29-09 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD