Hey guys my friend almost lost his blackberry the other day but was able to find it luckily, he put a lock on his phone but he set it to 30mins..so my question is what if someone finds his phone within that half hour and does a security wipe...does bb10 prompts for a device password? before wiping the device, cause all I see is type "blackberry" and delete files..ive never done a security wipe so pardon me for my ignorance hehe..wouldnt blackberry protect be useless if the device is wiped neway? sorry if this question has been asked here many times thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 10:30 AM
    The culprit would be able to wipe it unfortunately.

? Z10
    11-08-14 10:40 AM
    wow cant believe blackberry could overlook this flaw

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 02:30 PM
    wow cant believe blackberry could overlook this flaw

Posted via CB10
    Flaw...It up to the end user to take control. How about setting the auto lock to a minute or two instead of 30min.
    11-08-14 02:43 PM
    There is an assumption that the information on the device is more important than the device. If the device is unlocked, the information is exposed, so what does it matter that it can be wiped without entering the password. I would hope someone with bad intentions would wipe it immediately and not have the information on the device.

And besides, if the device is locked, the finder simply has to enter the wrong password so many times to wipe the device, no password needed. And besides that, I would not count on Protect actually being that useful in recovering a lost or stolen device. May happen, but I wouldn't count on it.
    11-08-14 02:46 PM
    thanks for the informative responses...that sux blackberry phones can still be used by thieves just by wiping the device..

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:07 PM
    thanks for the informative responses...that sux blackberry phones can still be used by thieves just by wiping the device..

Posted via CB10
    >30 minute password
    >they overlooked this flaw

Lol

Report it to the carrier so they block the IMEI and it becomes a WiFi only device.
    stevobbm likes this.
    11-08-14 04:12 PM
    yea lol!!! I didnt know that u can report it to the carrier and use as a wifi device only...thanks jerk

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:39 PM
    yea lol!!! I didnt know that u can report it to the carrier and use as a wifi device only...thanks jerk

Posted via CB10
    Now now.

? Z10
    11-08-14 05:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple products are still of a high value as a used device. BlackBerry not so much.

If things starts to change and BlackBerry becomes "a wanted device" BlackBerry might implement similar functionality as Apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 05:06 PM
    You have that backward. A stolen iPhone can be jailbroken and used. A stolen BlackBerry cannot be rooted and can easily be de-activated, blacklisted from any network in the world.
    Originalloverman likes this.
    11-08-14 09:23 PM
    Blocking a device internationally can be done for any device. It's just a matter of registering the device EMEI in a database and *most* carriers will not allow the device to operate on their network.

A few carriers (Eastern Europe and Africa I've been told) does not block though.

In my country the theft of iOS devices fell 35% after Apple introduced iOS 7.

Even though rooting may give you the opportunity to change the EMEI on your device 99%+ of all users don't even know it's possible.

Apple added an extra layer on top of EMEI blocking. The feature simply works by iOS demanding to connect to it loud to check if the device serial number (?*) is connected to any Apple ID. If so you have to enter the credentials for that account.

Apple was pushed big time by police and insurance companies in the US to implement the functionality and when iOS 7 was out, the police even advocated to upgrade by handing out flyers in public places. Apples way is transparent. If a pin code is protecting the device it is unusable for most people.

BlackBerry 10 will probably be rooted someday. I doubt BlackBerry developers and software architects are perfect human beings.

* I have no knowledge of what ID us checked. I could as well be the EMEI.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 02:32 AM