Because my BB (Curve 8530) is no longer associated with a mobile network, I'm unable (if my new understanding is correct) to use Blackberry Internet Service or anything that depends on it. However, I can still use my BB for web browsing, e-mail (via Logicmail or similar programs) etc. through WiFi.

I'm curious, though: is my BB more vulnerable to security risks due to the lack of BIS coverage? I still don't know much about virus protection on smartphones -- when I was using the BB as a phone, I was always told that it was relatively secure, but I don't know how much of the security functions were handled by BIS. Will I be taking a risk if I start using my BB more often for browsing or e-mail?

Thanks
    10-18-12 12:02 PM
    Now it all depends on how secure your WiFi network is. If you're using a public, unsecured network, your data transmissions could be vulnerable. However, if you're at home, sitting behind a decently strong password protected network, you're less vulnerable.

Just like with computers, you want to make sure to use the https:// protocol as much as possible.
    10-18-12 12:10 PM