Hacker Breaks GSM Mobile Phone Code

A German computer scientist has cracked the encryption algorithm that secures 80% of the world's mobile phones, but it's far from a practical attack.
    By Antone Gonsalves
    InformationWeek
    December 29, 2009 02:30 PM

A German computer scientist working with a team of experts has broken the code used to secure about 80% of the world's mobile phones. But the group responsible for protecting GSM communications said Tuesday the feat is a "long way from being a practical attack."

Researcher Karsten Nohl, a former graduate student at the University of Virginia, revealed his decryption methods this week at the Chaos Communication Conference in Berlin, the largest hackers conference in Europe. Nohl and a team of two dozen other experts worked for five months to crack the security algorithm that protects Global System for Mobile communications.

Hacker Breaks GSM Mobile Phone Code -- Mobile Phone Security -- InformationWeek
    Anybody know which blackberry phones this crack affects and which ones it doesn't?

Mark
    12-30-09 10:09 AM
    They cracked the 64 (bit) code not the 128 (bit) code. some carriers have switched to the 128 some have not.... chance of you getting attacked 1 in 2.3 million. The file is 2TB of information... then they have to apply that coding to your call.... eh it's not worth getting worked up about... but in all honesty i stated a spoof thread on it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:13 AM
    I was wondering what all the talk about this was about
    12-30-09 10:15 AM
    All this will do (which is a good thing) is push more carriers into implementing 128 bit crypto on their GSM signals.
    12-30-09 11:05 AM
    I think most Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel phones fall into the other 20%.
    12-30-09 11:11 AM
    Sprint and Verizon are CDMA so the are not affected what so ever.
    This is the 3rd thread on an article that was first published over a year ago... Is news so slow people are digging this up?

12-30-09 11:14 AM
    The only blackberries that could possibly be affected are gsm ones. AT&T and tmobile and the like, so all phones including BBs on their networks would be affected. Even then....it's not likely to happen to you or anyone your know. The only ones not affected are cdma carriers and they likely will remain as such given the nature of cdma calls vs gsm calls.

It would be much more lucrative to point a giant listening dish thing at you lol.

Last edited by strunke; 12-30-09 at 11:19 AM.
    12-30-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD