EDIT: aha, swear filter is a bit tight around here isn't it!? The title is merely id**t, nothing worse than that

I bought my BB Bold 9700 in January off eBay, from a phone dealer.
    All was fine, but for money reasons, I've only just gotten round to adding data to my plan. So I'm trying to sort out email tonight and I think I'm a bit screwed?

a) I can't seem to change the email from the previous owners. When I go to Advanced > Default Services and try to type in my own hotmail address, it just highlights the current one and won't let me edit it? Clicking the drop down menu just makes it 'select' but then it won't delete, won't let me type in a new one (or any kind of character at all)...just won't let me do anything but save and go back.
    When I go to Setup Wizard > Email Setup it just says that the setup has already been completed and doesn't give me any other options at all.

b) I obviously don't have a PIN. Orange are about as unhelpful as it gets and I've gotten absolutely nowhere with them. I can't contact the previous owner as I bought the handset though a dealer. From what I can glean, this PIN is apparently rather important when setting up email and 3G? I'm still not 100% on understanding what it is/does though.

Will wiping the phone of all data fix problem a) and how on earth do I fix problem b)?!
    Have I wasted 300 on a phone I can't even use for email?
    In a month or so I'll be relying on my BB heavily for email which is why I'm trying to sort this now.
    I'm bricking it, I love my BB, I don't want to have to sell it on!
    06-05-10 03:23 PM
    a) That is not how you add /alter email accounts. You need to use the Personal
    Email Setup icon, which I suspect will not work in your case.

b) The PIN along with the IMEI are what identifies your phone to the network and
    allows you to set up your account. Problem is, it can only be in use for only ONE
    account at a time.

From the sound of things the previous owner never released the PIN and IMEI
    from his / her account, making it impossible for you to set up your own.

My only suggestion, barring contacting that person, is to take the phone, along
    with proof of purchase to a carrier store and see if they can deactivate the
    old account and assist you in setting up your own.

Good luck
    06-05-10 03:35 PM
    What do you think would qualify as proof of postage? I don't have access to the eBay account I used to buy my BB anymore, so I can't print off the invoice or payment screen or anything similar.

I wiped my phone and now under Setup > Email Setup it only gives an option to setup a BES account.
    I'm admitting defeat tonight!
    I'm going to an Orange store tomorrow, but I have a feeling they won't do anything, especially as according to them I still have an (awful, terrible, useless) LG Arena.
    06-05-10 05:52 PM
    What do you think would qualify as proof of postage? I don't have access to the eBay account I used to buy my BB anymore, so I can't print off the invoice or payment screen or anything similar.

I wiped my phone and now under Setup > Email Setup it only gives an option to setup a BES account.
    I'm admitting defeat tonight!
    I'm going to an Orange store tomorrow, but I have a feeling they won't do anything, especially as according to them I still have an (awful, terrible, useless) LG Arena.
    You're probably going to have to show some kind of proof that you are the owner of the handset you purchased, some sort of reciept of the sale is what I would take. The issue is that the PIN number is still registered as if the previous owner of the device is still the owner of said device. The previous owner should have called his carrier, and had the PIN released, so that it could be activated by another user.

The PIN number is the number that identifies your device on the BlackBerry network, alot like your phone number identifies your phone on your carrier's network. The PIN number is essential to using the BB, from basic data transmission for apps, to e-mail delivery, you have to have the PIN registered to you thru your carrier. Each BB has it's own individual PIN, which you can find under the options menu, heading status.

I would do what AG suggested, I would take the handset to your carrier, along with some sort of proof of purchase (I've never purchased anything off of ebay, but I can't imagine that they don't e-mail you some sort of purchase confirmation or something like that, why don't you have access to the ebay account any longer?), and see if there is anything that they can do for you. I would also attempt to contact the dealer that you purchased the handset from to see if there is anything they can do. I'm not very optimistic about this, I can't imagine that you're carrier will be able to get the IMEI and PIN released from another account without that account holders authorization... You may be screwed.
    06-05-10 06:06 PM
    Do you have a bb data plan? If so, go to orange uk bis website and try to create an account using the device pin and imei. Both the pin and imei can be found on the box (if you have it) or on the device, go to menu - options - status.

If you are able to create an account, you can add all email addresses and then send service books to the device. The 'send service books' option can be found under the 'help' section of your bis account.

Atlast, register the device on the network, by going to, menu - options - advanced options - host routing table - menu - register now

Hope this helps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 06:13 PM
    If you have access to your email account that is associated with eBay, ON YOUR PC, you should have a copy of the transaction email there. Print that off as proof of purchase.
    06-06-10 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD