Hello Everyone,

This is an open question for feedback. I've been thinking a bit about what COULD possibly change the current "conventional wisdom" in the mobile world today, given everything that's going on with the Priv.

Sidebar for Background:
    Separate from all of this, I was thinking what would I ideally want in terms of mobile computing, and My personal answer (no limitations) was that I would have a "watch" or some sort of wearable thing in my wrist (maybe larger like my Sci-Fi/Adventure heroes of old) that provide me with notifications and core communication functions, as well as daily utility functions (like a clock, alarm, calendar, etc). However, that doesn't provide me with a lot of media access, so I want a larger screen.
    My eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen is something I'd like, but I don't want to haul around a large Tablet, so something with a 6" to 7" screen size. Something I COULD squeeze into a cargo pocket, but easily into a jacket.
    See my thought is that If I have the vital stuff on my wrist, then I don't have to fret if I can't carry the larger screen 100% of the time (taking out the garbage or mowing the lawn, whatever).

So, back to the question I'd like to ask people their opinion on. At one point apparently people were carrying their BlackBerry for business, and their iPhone (or maybe ipod touch) or Android for...well, non-business. This became something people didn't want to do (understandably), and people wanted to have their single (non-Blackberry) device be usable for their work needs, which has security issues, etc.

Blackberry milked that as long as it could, but seems to have lost there for the most part, with a few exceptions.

So the question is: Can people be convinced to go back to that IF the right form-factor were invented/arranged? People don't want to carry two phones, but people seem open to carrying a Smart-Phone AND having a Smart-watch.

The top-of-my-head thought (so please treat it as such) is a combination of a VERY effective and efficient Watch/wearable that is secure as can be (may not even allow for any downloadable apps at all--100% "feature" based), but which still interfaces with the larger Phone or Tablet--of other platforms (iOS, Windows Phone, Windows 10, Android).

I am not a programmer, so I can't speak to exactly how this would be accomplished, but something similar to the Playbook and Bold series interface OR the BlackBerry Blend interface (which I guess is pretty much already in existence...). So, basically a very refined version of that, with a form-factor that people like.

You can use the Display device to "view" the wearable and to essentially type back to it, via an App loaded on the "display" unit. The Display could run whatever apps, games, media that ISN'T part of the Wearable unit.

So, that's the question. Is there a "two-device" solution that could meet the needs of consumers? Is there a best of both world solution that actually is MORE than the sum of its parts?

I already arrived at this as something I'd love to try--assuming all the right features could be "found."

KAM
    09-28-15 03:17 PM
    I, personally, prefer having 2 mobile devices... One for work, one for personal... I like the separation and never have been bothered by carrying 2 devices... Daily driver on my person, secondary device somewhere near (usually in purse or bag somewhere... )

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 03:27 PM
    I, personally, prefer having 2 mobile devices... One for work, one for personal... I like the separation and never have been bothered by carrying 2 devices... Daily driver on my person, secondary device somewhere near (usually in purse or bag somewhere... )

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, ok, so that situation that seems to have become less common suited you just fine.
    Did you have significant preference difference between the two? Did you use a BlackBerry for Work and something else for personal?

KAM
    09-28-15 03:31 PM
    Hmm, ok, so that situation that seems to have become less common suited you just fine.
    Did you have significant preference difference between the two? Did you use a BlackBerry for Work and something else for personal?

KAM
    I alternate what goes live on my secondary line... Daily driver has always been a BlackBerry... My secondary line I get experimental with on occasion and have had Droids, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry on it... Currently running a Classic as my daily driver and my 9900 on the secondary, but as soon as the WFC OS drops on T-Mobile, I plan to retire my 9900... Not sure where I'll go from there just yet... Nothing has piqued my interest lately... We'll see...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 04:11 PM
    A solution like that proposed by Neptune might be what you are looking for:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ossibilities#/

Not yet on the market, not yet tested. I really like the concept and am curious to see if it works.

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    09-28-15 06:51 PM

Not yet on the market, not yet tested. I really like the concept and am curious to see if it works.

Hello,

Wow, very close to what I envisioned. A bit more extensive however. Android powered, but not a surprise I suppose. Not sure I would want to be an early adopter but very interesting.

Thanks for pointing that out.

KAM
    09-28-15 07:09 PM

An interesting concept, indeed... Although I still envision myself rolling two devices deep even with that... Maybe I naturally crave symmetry...

Thanks for sharing!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-15 07:23 PM
    Hello,

To bring this back around to Blackberry. Here's what I'm wondering.

Could a TRULY secure BlackBerry device (envisioned by me as a wearable) that focuses on Communication and productivity--the things BlackBerry was known for work well along side whatever other device people prefer (Small Tablet, Phablet, iPhone, etc).

The only interface between the two is that of a "dumb terminal" sort of like Blend works today. So, if you want to have a larger screen to look at, or use the input (keyboard) from that device, you can.

I think one feature that would be needed on the Wearable device would be a VERY slick, and highly functioning message input capability. A tiny keyboard could work, IF the word prediction on it was excellent.
    What I envision is someone being able to quickly send responses in a very intuitive way. Not sure what would work best, but it would also have to have voice recognition.

Anyway, I was wondering if BlackBerry might carve out some of that territory by linking it back to the 2-Device/work security end of things. Or not--it wouldn't be required, but it might be the device that Corporations provide their employees, that DOESN'T interfere with the device they normally choose to use.

Anyone have an opinion?

KAM
    09-29-15 09:15 AM