View Poll Results: Would you like to see RIM release a WiFi only BlackBerry device?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would expand and support the product line well!

7 16.28%
  • Maybe, it sounds like a good idea but not sure it is viable

8 18.60%
  • No, RIM should just focus on its traditional business

28 65.12%
03-22-12 09:04 AM
38 12
tools
    The idea is to provide the younger generation (kids) access to BBM and WiFi. It will spawn apps and other uses for BlackBerry devices. Currently, BlackBerrys require data plans (except the PlayBook), but the PlayBook is large and can't fit into a kid's pocket. Kids want a small device that does BBM. That's what I'm suggesting with this.
    Younger gens already have access to BBM and WiFi, that is what the Social Plans are for. RIM could have come out with a device specifically for the target OR they can mention to the some of the carriers that younger people are interested in BB, they just don't need the 'full' experience.

I can remember less than three years ago, carrier reps telling some of my friends that BBs needed to be unlocked twice (For those who may be confused: Carrier and BIS/BES)

It would be much simpler for RIM to license BBM to some crappy device than to create another low end device just for BBM.
    03-20-12 02:59 AM
    It would be much simpler for RIM to license BBM to some crappy device than to create another low end device just for BBM.
    And that "ease" takes into account the implications of another hardware vendor creating PIN's another hardware vendor accessing the NOC, and all costs associated with managing and maintaining 2 PIN databases vs 1?
    03-20-12 06:58 AM
    The PlayBook is in the same price range as the iPod touch. How much are they gonna sell a Blackpod for? $50? $100? Either way doesn't sound too profitable.

Entering the iPod market to take on Apple head on has been a disaster for every company. Investors especially wouldn't want this move to happen.
    03-21-12 08:30 AM
    although not a bad idea in theory, its not going in the direction that is needed. things need to be simpler, easier, smaller, yada, yada, yada. as in, reduce the need or want for duplicate or redundant devices.

you know what rim needs to do? design the BB10 device with the thinking that this will be the customer's first, or more importantly, ONLY device. for everything. period.

yes the playbook can be a great add on, you may also already have an ipod, etc., but pretend this won't be the case for the consumer who picks this up.

imagine taking a BB phone, a playbook, a samsung note, and an ipod, and getting them drunk enough to have an orgy. that love child might just be the best selling product in no time. take the ease of communication, security, etc from the BB phone (and yes, maybe even the keyboard in slider form), the platform and UI/gestures of the playbook, the larger approach of the note (but maybe not quite as much), and the media simplicity of the ipod, add salt and pepper to taste, and let simmer. besides the larger screen and more complex software you would get in a large tab or notebook/desktop, tell me what more would you need?

also, its just the approach im talking about here, so the options can vary. in terms of media and storage like the ipod, just create a good player and just up the memory internally as well as making sure theres support for the largest mem card available externally, and storage space is now no longer a reason for having or even considering another seperate device. like ive heard a lot of you say here, you love media on the playbook. now imagine filling a 128G card and slipping it in there.....
    03-21-12 10:53 AM
    I'd like a samsung note running bb10. ultimate. Poll that!
    03-21-12 11:15 AM
    As long as they throw in BBM AND wifi calling.
    Yes, it could work.
    What price point would make it profitable though?
    03-21-12 02:45 PM
    It sounds like an interesting idea but, like others, I have to wonder if the market segment is indeed dying out. The failure of the Zune HD to gain traction would give me pause if I were in RIM management...
    03-21-12 03:22 PM
    BlackBerry can sync to iTunes. It can also play iTunes music wirelessly.
    yea i have mine synced up, but I would like to have a Blackberry version. I mean nothin against iTunes, it's good, but I think loading up a BB music player on my pc would be sweet, maybe have access to buy songs from iTunes and other sources?
    03-21-12 08:02 PM
    As long as Roxio has nothing to do with any BTunes or whatever they decide to call it. I still have nightmares about Roxio media player....LoL

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 08:05 PM
    I have another idea: make the BBOS customizable so you can configure what the "phone" button does.

Currently, you click the leftmost hardware button, it takes you to the phone GUI.

Suppose I want to configure my BlackBerry to be mostly a music player that's also a phone, rather than a phone that's also a music player?

What if I could change the behaviour of the "green" button on the left to go to the media player rather than to the phone, and when I want to make a call, I long-press the menu button and choose the "phone" app from the popup menu?

The point being, just like with an iPhone / iPod comparison, the guts and OS is essentially the same, it's just the "default" behaviour that differs. So, if I want to run turn my iPhone into an iPod, what do I do? I remove the "phone" icon from the tray and put the "iPod" icon in its place, and voila, now it's mostly a music player, not a telephone.

So, giving users control over what the hard buttons do would give us the ability to make our BlackBerry "phones" into music players with phones and general-purpose PDA functionality.

A different SKU isn't necessary, just a configuration option "be a phone", "be a media device", "be a pda"... all the functionality is available in all three "use cases", but different features are foregrounded or more easily available.
    this is a kinda interesting idea
    03-21-12 08:07 PM
    I have been thinking about a WIFI blackberry this very week for another reason. I work at a hospital where we use $500 motorola voice pagers. Basically they are 15 yrs old expensive clunkers. To page me, you must call switchboard and have one of the receptionist send me a voice message telling me a local number to call. Usually it goes off in the middle of a treatment session and I miss it. Then I have to call switchboard to get the number again. And even if I call the local right away, half the time it doesn't work.

I have suggested that the dept go blackberry so that we can all COMMUNICATE, however the cost of cell plans is a major barrier. I have often thought how great it would be to have WIFI and WIFI blackberries. My first wish came true last week, we got wifi throughout the hospital, now my playbook comes with me everywhere.

I think that they should be like the two curve models, one all touch and the other a touchscreen top with a keyboard (like the bold).
    03-21-12 11:13 PM
    Low end 3g phone will do just fine IMHO. RIM should improve it's music player, maybe equalizer would be nice.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-22-12 05:44 AM
    When I saw this thread, I was reminded of this:

HP shareholders question why company isn't more like Apple

Good luck with that.
    03-22-12 09:04 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD