View Poll Results: Would you like to see RIM release a WiFi only BlackBerry device?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would expand and support the product line well!

7 16.28%
  • Maybe, it sounds like a good idea but not sure it is viable

8 18.60%
  • No, RIM should just focus on its traditional business

28 65.12%
    Let's try this again

Last summer, I had suggested RIM release a "Blackpod" -- essentially, a BlackBerry iPod. It would be similar to the iPod, but run BBM and all things BlackBerry that we all love! A WiFi BlackBerry (without a data plan)! I thought it would be great for students and younger folks whose parents can't afford expensive data plans. It would also help generate a lot of interest in apps from developers.

Fast forward to today. The Apple iPod 8 GB retails for $199, and so does the PlayBook 16 GB, which is now seeing a resurgence since PlayBook 2.0 was released. Well, imagine, if we had PlayBook 2.1 with BBM! Kids would be eating up the PlayBook even more! Already, in my son's classes, there are 6 students with BlackBerry PlayBooks using it at school! If the PlayBook was a bit smaller (i.e., 4-inch or so) and still the same price as an iPod but running BBM, it will sell very, very well.

Don't misunderstand, I like the 7-inch size of the PlayBook. It's perfect! I just think a smaller and less expensive one is also needed for students to fit in their pockets! It could also sell at $179, when the PlayBook goes back to its regular price of $299.

Today, iPods now support iMessage, which is a rudimentary BBM look-a-like. Apple is going after the student market hard, but instead I hear that RIM is perhaps going larger with the PlayBook, 10-inches according to some rumors. I hope those rumors are false! I personally don't think RIM should try to compete with the iPad at this point in time, so going up in size would mean a more expensive retail price, which puts it around the price tag of the iPad.

I loved the one trial RIM was doing in some elementary schools. I think this is one huge potential market for RIM, and they should exploit it fully! A BlackPod would open up many new doors and opportunities for RIM.

Now, imagine rocking BBM and BBM Music on the "BlackPod" Cool!
    dweb101, bluetroll and Gouk like this.
    03-12-12 12:48 PM
    Hey, i think thats a great idea!! I thought of something similar myself. I think they should do it, but first they need to get BB10 phones out.
    Joe257 likes this.
    03-12-12 01:03 PM
    Who would buy it? Apple owns that market. iPods are a technology on its way out. So RIM should get into a segment owned by Apple which would be dead in a few years time. Not a good idea.
    Joe257 likes this.
    03-12-12 01:09 PM
    The OP is the reason some companies sue other ones...lol

BlackPod? Smh..
    03-12-12 01:20 PM
    I would never buy a pod anything.

Now, a BlackBook might be a better name.....
    Joe257 likes this.
    03-12-12 01:23 PM
    I would never buy a pod anything.

Now, a BlackBook might be a better name.....
    ooh! thats a good one!

Blackbook sounds so professional and sleek

I mean the Playbook is small and black like one, but I guess RIM thought it would be too obvious lol
    03-12-12 01:56 PM
    Why do you say iPods on their way out? Folks still need a device that's small (fits in your pocket) and doesn't require a data plan. Many people don't want data plans since WiFi hotspots are at homes, schools, malls, hotels, airports, caf�s...

I just used BlackPod. I don't like the name either.
    03-12-12 01:57 PM
    No need for one, I have all the music I need on my phone Micro SD card.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-12-12 01:58 PM
    Why do you say iPods on their way out? Folks still need a device that's small (fits in your pocket) and doesn't require a data plan. Many people don't want data plans since WiFi hotspots are at homes, schools, malls, hotels, airports, caf�s...

I think mp3 players in general are a dying breed. Many people only wanna carry one device (like their phone).

Personally, I like having a separate device to carry 80gb of music everywhere I go

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shemaree09; 03-12-12 at 02:22 PM.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-12-12 01:59 PM
    If RIM wants more apps in App World, it needs more devices that are targeted at different markets. No one is going to give a 10 year old a BlackBerry with a $40, $50 or $60 data plan. It's even overkill for a 12 year old.
    03-12-12 02:00 PM
    If RIM wants more apps in App World, it needs more devices that are targeted at different markets. No one is going to give a 10 year old a BlackBerry with a $40, $50 or $60 data plan. It's even overkill for a 12 year old.
    i think they have.

there so many lower-end Blackberry's like the Curves and Pearls.

many carriers are also providing cheaper "social" data plans on lower end Blackberry's too.
    03-12-12 02:05 PM

Get yourself an Android phone and don't put a SIM in it. Carry all the music you need. Superior interface and wifi with a multitude of chat options.

Why get an iPod like device.
    03-12-12 02:16 PM
    When you have a smartphone nowadays cheap or expensive a pod won't work out anymore sooner or later.
    03-12-12 02:21 PM
    So the WiFi PlayBook was a bad idea? It is so well designed for apps that I much prefer installing and using apps on my PlayBook rather than my BlackBerry. I just wish there was a smaller one kids could take with them that does BBM like a true BlackBerry. I know other parents who have said the same thing.

I suppose for most of us on CrackBerry, we are paid professionals. We have no problems paying even $100/month for a plan. Pre-teens are different... and so are parents of pre-teens.
    03-12-12 02:33 PM
    So the WiFi PlayBook was a bad idea? It is so well designed for apps that I much prefer installing and using apps on my PlayBook rather than my BlackBerry. I just wish there was a smaller one kids could take with them that does BBM like a true BlackBerry. I know other parents who have said the same thing.

I suppose for most of us on CrackBerry, we are paid professionals. We have no problems paying even $100/month for a plan. Pre-teens are different... and so are parents of pre-teens.
    There are already smaller tabs in the market. The PB is great for music. Why would I buy a "pod" of any company. And there are smaller devices like Samsung Note. Just don't activate the cellular features on it, and you have your wifi only Internet device.

Admit it, you are defending an indefensible opinion.
    03-12-12 02:37 PM
    Let's try this again

Last summer, I had suggested RIM release a "Blackpod" -- essentially, a BlackBerry iPod. It would be similar to the iPod, but run BBM and all things BlackBerry that we all love! A WiFi BlackBerry (without a data plan)! I thought it would be great for students and younger folks whose parents can't afford expensive data plans. It would also help generate a lot of interest in apps from developers.

Fast forward to today. The Apple iPod 8 GB retails for $199, and so does the PlayBook 16 GB, which is now seeing a resurgence since PlayBook 2.0 was released. Well, imagine, if we had PlayBook 2.1 with BBM! Kids would be eating up the PlayBook even more! Already, in my son's classes, there are 6 students with BlackBerry PlayBooks using it at school! If the PlayBook was a bit smaller (i.e., 4-inch or so) and still the same price as an iPod but running BBM, it will sell very, very well.

Don't misunderstand, I like the 7-inch size of the PlayBook. It's perfect! I just think a smaller and less expensive one is also needed for students to fit in their pockets! It could also sell at $179, when the PlayBook goes back to its regular price of $299.

Today, iPods now support iMessage, which is a rudimentary BBM look-a-like. Apple is going after the student market hard, but instead I hear that RIM is perhaps going larger with the PlayBook, 10-inches according to some rumors. I hope those rumors are false! I personally don't think RIM should try to compete with the iPad at this point in time, so going up in size would mean a more expensive retail price, which puts it around the price tag of the iPad.

I loved the one trial RIM was doing in some elementary schools. I think this is one huge potential market for RIM, and they should exploit it fully! A BlackPod would open up many new doors and opportunities for RIM.

Now, imagine rocking BBM and BBM Music on the "BlackPod" Cool!

I'd buy one, primarily for the music aspect of it though. maybe make an easy to use blackberry like itunes. then make it easily syncable, and easy to use on your pc also.
    Joe257 likes this.
    03-12-12 03:33 PM
    I'd buy one, primarily for the music aspect of it though. maybe make an easy to use blackberry like itunes. then make it easily syncable, and easy to use on your pc also.
    BlackBerry can sync to iTunes. It can also play iTunes music wirelessly.
    03-12-12 03:51 PM
    I'm in, put it on my wrist and get it voice commands, I'll buy a few.
    03-12-12 10:32 PM
    I agree RIM needs to make a low cost consumer device.

I really think RIM should Bring Back the Blackberry Pearl, and Offer it in 2 models, Wifi only and 3G like the PlayBook soon will be,

The Wifi Only can bridge to another BB device for wireless access anywhere, the Pearl Wifi would be a low cost MP3 player device with BB10 OS and offer the advantages of a BB in a small low cost form factor, BBM would be accessible through Wifi and BBM Music would be Free for 1 year.
    Joe257 likes this.
    03-12-12 10:39 PM
    Hey, i think thats a great idea!! I thought of something similar myself. I think they should do it, but first they need to get BB10 phones out.
    I'm with you on that one. BB10 phones are needed now.
    03-19-12 08:43 AM
    All my music I need is on my Blackberry - plus more.

I imagine RIM has enough to do atm let alone make a Blackpod. If they were to make one it would dilute their efforts else where and they are already pretty slow at unveiling then eventually revealing things.

We'd all have ZZ Top beards if we had to wait any longer.

*must stress not the females here
    03-19-12 08:53 AM
    No need for one, I have all the music I need on my phone Micro SD card.
    The idea is to provide the younger generation (kids) access to BBM and WiFi. It will spawn apps and other uses for BlackBerry devices. Currently, BlackBerrys require data plans (except the PlayBook), but the PlayBook is large and can't fit into a kid's pocket. Kids want a small device that does BBM. That's what I'm suggesting with this.
    03-19-12 10:49 AM
    Bad idea. Already tried by a company in much better position than RIM to push something like this (Microsoft). I don't see RIM really doing better than the ZuneHD and their media ecosystem is virtually non-existent at this moment compared to Apple, Microsoft, or even Google.

They need to concentrate on their phones, which should be able to perform the same basic PMP functions at the end of the day.
    03-19-12 01:10 PM
    Why name anything Blackberry with 'pod' anyway? RIM needs to keep it's own identity! And should be proud of it!
    03-19-12 01:21 PM
    I have another idea: make the BBOS customizable so you can configure what the "phone" button does.

Currently, you click the leftmost hardware button, it takes you to the phone GUI.

Suppose I want to configure my BlackBerry to be mostly a music player that's also a phone, rather than a phone that's also a music player?

What if I could change the behaviour of the "green" button on the left to go to the media player rather than to the phone, and when I want to make a call, I long-press the menu button and choose the "phone" app from the popup menu?

The point being, just like with an iPhone / iPod comparison, the guts and OS is essentially the same, it's just the "default" behaviour that differs. So, if I want to run turn my iPhone into an iPod, what do I do? I remove the "phone" icon from the tray and put the "iPod" icon in its place, and voila, now it's mostly a music player, not a telephone.

So, giving users control over what the hard buttons do would give us the ability to make our BlackBerry "phones" into music players with phones and general-purpose PDA functionality.

A different SKU isn't necessary, just a configuration option "be a phone", "be a media device", "be a pda"... all the functionality is available in all three "use cases", but different features are foregrounded or more easily available.
    03-19-12 01:24 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD