Please, I need some help. I have a 9550, Storm 2.

I cannot search for any networks, even when there are known WiFi networks available (regardless of whether I'm at work, home or some other location with known WiFi). WiFi connections previously saved work fine and connect without problem.

On the Setup WiFi screen, it reads "Set Up {0} Connection" at the top and the button reads "{0} Options." I'm certain it is this "{0}" thing that is causing the problem. What is it supposed to read? Is there some configuration file that is corrupted and "{0}" is representing a Null entry? Attached is a screen shot of the WiFi setup screen.

Then after selecting Scan for Networks, it reads "Searching for available {0} networks..." it searches for a while (i.e., the dots on the router icon blink in succession) then it stops (i.e., one dot on the router icon stays lit) and if I tap the screen I get no list of available WiFi networks (it says "Available {0} Networks").

Please rest assured that I have already tried every conceivable combination of turning WiFi on and off and rebooting and even did a full wipe and reload of the BlackBerry software.

Can anyone please help???
    Last edited by davidlavin; 06-10-10 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Correct some spelling mestakes
    06-10-10 12:52 PM
    are you running a hybrid?
    06-10-10 01:10 PM
    Nope. Straight 5.0.0.676 from Verizon.
    06-10-10 01:35 PM
    676 from VZ? Is that correct?
    06-10-10 01:41 PM
    Have you tried rebooting your router?
    06-10-10 02:19 PM
    Bring it into VZ and have them swap the phone.
    06-10-10 02:30 PM
    Put a new hybrid or OS on it - the wlan files from what you are running are not compatible and are causing the { 0 } issue

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-10-10 02:47 PM
    Put a new hybrid or OS on it - the wlan files from what you are running are not compatible and are causing the { 0 } issue

bingo, i had the same problem with a hybrid i tried running a few weeks ago (don't worry lyricidal, it wasn't one of yours lol).
    06-10-10 04:45 PM

It's something else causing difficulties; I've had that with yours and Ooak's hybrids and had no trouble connecting because of it. I did have some WiFi troubles with one of Ooak's but it was just that version (whichever was right before .676). I believe it's the .607 base that makes it appear as the {O} wasn't present until I started using it, but I've also been using the leaked .607 as a base, not the official.

Verizon's latest official OS for the Storm2 9550 is 5.0.0.607; either that was a typo or you have a hybrid...

Please, I need some help. I have a 9550, Storm 2.

I cannot search for any networks, even when there are known WiFi networks available (regardless of whether I'm at work, home or some other location with known WiFi). WiFi connections previously saved work fine and connect without problem.

On the Setup WiFi screen, it reads "Set Up {0} Connection" at the top and the button reads "{0} Options." I'm certain it is this "{0}" thing that is causing the problem. What is it supposed to read? Is there some configuration file that is corrupted and "{0}" is representing a Null entry? Attached is a screen shot of the WiFi setup screen.

Then after selecting Scan for Networks, it reads "Searching for available {0} networks..." it searches for a while (i.e., the dots on the router icon blink in succession) then it stops (i.e., one dot on the router icon stays lit) and if I tap the screen I get no list of available WiFi networks (it says "Available {0} Networks").

Please rest assured that I have already tried every conceivable combination of turning WiFi on and off and rebooting and even did a full wipe and reload of the BlackBerry software.

Can anyone please help???
    As far as the {O} character goes, I have it popping up in many of the WiFi setup screens, I don't think it's the problem. I'm curious, is the WiFi network(s) SSID hidden when you scan? If so, can you manually connect? If you can't, then I second Lyricidal's suggestion to try a hybrid (assuming you aren't already running one), and possibly trying a different base such as .517.
    06-10-10 08:36 PM
    Verizon's latest official OS for the Storm2 9550 is 5.0.0.607; either that was a typo or you have a hybrid...
    No typo. Its 5.0.0.676 according to my Device Information screen. Downloaded it directly from the Verizon website.

I'm curious, is the WiFi network(s) SSID hidden when you scan?
    I've tried to scan for networks in numerous different locations where there are known open WiFi networks available (Starbucks, McDonalds, a friend's home, etc.)... Nothing shows up.

Frankly, I'm leary of using any of the Hybrids.
    06-11-10 12:44 PM
    No typo. Its 5.0.0.676 according to my Device Information screen. Downloaded it directly from the Verizon website.

I've tried to scan for networks in numerous different locations where there are known open WiFi networks available (Starbucks, McDonalds, a friend's home, etc.)... Nothing shows up.

LOL! There IS no "676" from verizon, dude. It's 607.
    06-11-10 12:51 PM

Interesting; can you copy/paste the name of the install file you downloaded? I can't believe VZW slipped in a new OS without anyone noticing :O
    06-11-10 12:54 PM

676 was NOT downloaded from the VZ site. This is either an OS from a different vendor, or a hybrid of another OS. This may be the problem.
    06-11-10 12:54 PM
    Ahhh, yes, this is definately the problem. The file I downloaded yesterday is named "9550AMEA_PBr51.0.0_rel1020_PL4.2.0.275_A5.0.0.607 .exe" but when I look at my device information it shows .676.

I think this all may have been caused by my trying a hybrid a while back and I'm now all out of whack. I did do a wipe before installing this OS. Any ideas on how I can clean up this mess?
    06-11-10 01:06 PM
    ===== QUOTE davidlavin ====

===== /QUOTE ====

676 was NOT downloaded from the VZ site. This is either an OS from a different vendor, or a hybrid of another OS. This may be the problem.
    That's what I was trying to get at in my earlier post - it has to be the hybrid you are on as it is a .cod file incompatibility issue

06-11-10 01:06 PM
    Interesting; can you copy/paste the name of the install file you downloaded? I can't believe VZW slipped in a new OS without anyone noticing :O
    that's for sure. not with all our prying eyes!
    06-11-10 01:07 PM
    it is a .cod file incompatibility issue
    Any suggestions on how to fix and go back to a clean OS?
    06-11-10 01:08 PM
    Ahhh, yes, this is definately the problem. The file I downloaded yesterday is named "9550AMEA_PBr51.0.0_rel1020_PL4.2.0.275_A5.0.0.607 .exe" but when I look at my device information it shows .676.

I think this all may have been caused by my trying a hybrid a while back and I'm now all out of whack. I did do a wipe before installing this OS. Any ideas on how I can clean up this mess?
    That's what I thought lol
    Just uninstall the OS from Control Panel on your PC, restart, then go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader and empty anything you see there, if that's still there after uninstalling. Then reinstall .607 and restart if you want, backup your device, wipe with your program of choice (I prefer BBMCP lately) and install with app loader (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\App Loader\ - Loader.exe)
    Assuming you know some of this as you got a hybrid on in the first place
    Last edited by genomos; 06-11-10 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I is too close to O, I need a Dvorak layout on my S2
    06-11-10 01:16 PM
    Assuming you know some of this as you got a hybrid on in the first place
    Well, sort of . But I really don't understand much of what you just written. What is there to "uninstall OS" in the Control Panel? There's nothing there even remotely BlackBerry related.

And yes, I've been searching for detailed instructions, with no luck. Can you point me to a posting that will give step-by-step detailed instructions? Is there a sticky?
    06-11-10 01:28 PM
    Well, sort of . But I really don't understand much of what you just written. What is there to "uninstall OS" in the Control Panel? There's nothing there even remotely BlackBerry related.

And yes, I've been searching for detailed instructions, with no luck. Can you point me to a posting that will give step-by-step detailed instructions? Is there a sticky?
    What OS are you running on your PC? Windows XP/Vista/7, and 32 or 64bit?
    Windows XP: Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> BlackBerry Software 5.0 for Blackberry 9550
    Windows Vista/Windows 7: Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program -> BlackBerry Software 5.0 for Blackberry 9550
    After you find it, click either change/remove/uninstall (depending on what you're running), then restart
    Next, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader\ where you'll see a folder named 9550AMEA_v5.0.0.607_P4.2.0.275 - right click and delete (this automatically uses admin rights in Vista/Win7).
    Once you have that deleted, find the .607 installer and re-install it, do a restart if you want afterwards (recommended but not essential).
    Once you're set, go ahead and try these instructions - Hydroz_23 was kind enough to do a walkthrough with screenshots, this should get you up and running, and this should help with any WiFi issues if you have trouble after install. Best I can do for now; hope it helps!
    06-11-10 03:08 PM
    Dude! YES! YES! YES! (I sound like Meg Ryan from "When Harry Met Sally").

Thank you so much (and everyone else) for all the help!
    06-13-10 01:13 PM
    Dude! YES! YES! YES! (I sound like Meg Ryan from "When Harry Met Sally").

Thank you so much (and everyone else) for all the help!
    Outstanding!
    06-13-10 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD