I've scoured the internet and cannot believe there is no clearly written explanation as to what CLASS of sdhc memory cards each BB device can use. I cannot believe RIM would not include this info in the manual, as it is clearly the 1st or 2nd question you're faced with when upgrading the memory for you device - and the price differences can be huge.

I own a BB Bold 9650. I didn't want to stick this thread in the 9650 category alone, and didn't want to put it in the nearly cases-only accessories category.

We need a definitive answer as to what Class of sdhc memory the BB devices themselves can fully utilize. No one wants to spend triple the $$$ for a Class 6 or 10 card that will have zero difference in functionality inside their BB device. What are the actual read/write speeds each BB device can actually utilize (obviously, I personally care about the Bold)???

Personally, I also do not care as much about read/write speeds to and from my PC. I think everyone understands there may be an impact there, but since I'm probably just going to load it up with music/media and other files I won't be transferring around too often I'm not very concerned with transfer speeds to and from the PC.

What no one wants to do is purchase a lower class card that causes their device to freeze or have long delays during actual operations that access the memory card, or pay a lot more money for a class that can't be utilized. I don't want video quality to suffer, or find there's some odd 15 second delay between music tracks or anything like that (if it's a tenth of a second vs a twelfth, who cares...) Basically:
    BB functionality - Important
    PC functionality - Not important

That said, where are the answers? I feel like there should be a complete list somewhere of all BB devices and what Class of memory will benefit them or show no performance improvements. The best answer I saw was in a post from 2 years ago, which stated without any supporting info that Class 2 met all of the internal spec limits of a BB itself, but that was 2 years ago and the concern was really just one device.

Really, I just want to say shame on RIM for not putting such an obvious spec into the user manual or for that matter not providing it anywhere. It should be a clear answer that takes a few seconds to look up in your manual, and here I am having performed searches over multiple nights this week and still found no conclusive answer to a question that must have a factual answer. I'm not an EE, don't have the specs, and shouldn't have to spend so much time on an upgrade they clearly expect many users will perform (as they proudly state up to 32GB).

Thanks everyone. It's boggling my mind that this info is not provided.

If anyone here knows someone at RIM, feel free to pass it along.
    Last edited by klepter; 07-17-10 at 02:38 PM.
    07-17-10 02:33 PM
    Call your carrier. I think the differentiation is determined by first, which OS your bb is using then second, how much Ram your model has in order to access the card. I would think you could install at least a 32gig card. And you are right about the info being so vague. As far as classifications go it's really vague. I got lucky when I put the 8gig one in mine before the first time I even turned it on. But I stuck with the OEM brand of Sandisk. Unfortunately I have seen many posts from people who were not as fortunate. Head to radio shack and pickup the biggest Sandisk micro sdhc you can find and before you pay for it make sure you can bring it back for store credit or exchange. I have heard stories of failure from people who bought fakes online. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 03:20 PM
    This question specifically pertains to the classifications "Class 2", "Class 4", "Class 6", etc. The documentation does provide the maximum storage size, which in the case of the 9650 is 32GB. That is known.

These classes are the read/write speeds of the memory card itself, and are generally:
    Class 4: 4MB/s
    Class 6: 6MB/s
    ...and so on.

A Class 10 card will cost many times what a Class 2 card cost, for the same storage size (GB).

I agree there should be one chart showing maximum size as well as appropriate Class types for every device, but I'm specifically asking about Class here since that is the info I cannot find.

The comment is appreciated, but unfortuately did not address the question. This is similar to the other threads I've found around the internet where someone will ask a question about Class and only gets responses from a few people regarding storage size, not Class. Please provide information relevant to the Class of the card, of which the common classifications for sale are Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 or Class 10. Thank you.
    07-17-10 04:38 PM
    BlackBerry is optimized to utilize Class 2 speeds. It can use the faster cards, but can only up/download information onto the media card as designed. The Class 4 and beyond comes into play when direct-loading the cards from a computer, where faster data transfer is available.

07-17-10 05:10 PM
    Thank you BergerKing, but how do you know this? I have read this comment (though in only 1 or maybe 2 online posts phrased exactly the same way - so we may have seen the same thing), as well as comments from those who say it does make a difference, and there is never any supporting information either way. Others have written that the newer BBs do take advantage of the higher speed cards, but again, with nothing to support this claim.

Right now it's one person's word against another's. It's hard to believe anything without a little more detail, such as a RIM statement, chip info, etc etc etc.
    07-17-10 08:59 PM
    Consider this, both the Tour and Bold 9650 shipped with 2GB class 2 micro sd cards. That indicates to me that that class card is compatible with the device. It also tells me that that is what RIM recommends because if they were to publish anything else such as a recommendation that you use a class 4 or 6 card they would be at least seen at "cheap" (and probably worse) by only shipping units with a class 2 card.
    07-18-10 11:45 AM
    jstoltz,
    That is probably the strongest argument out there, just wish RIM had confirmed. You would think that RIM wouldn't ship with a card that actually diminishes performance, but stranger things have happened when companies are pinching pennies.

Does anyone have experience to share regarding either or both classes? The one other comment/report I've read which is still a concern was from user/s who reported that a Class 2 card was taking a really long time to "initialize" whenever it was accessed, and there was a delay between media files that was not present when they moved to a higher class (can't remember if 4 or 6). That could have been an issue with the individual card or perhaps a really cheap off-brand, but who knows.

Can anyone confirm that they are using a 16GB or 32GB Class 2 MicroSDHC card and there are no such issues accessing files? For example, no large delays accessing the card and no video issues during playback at the full native resolution of the Bold. Thanks so much everyone.
    07-18-10 12:33 PM
    Consider this, both the Tour and Bold 9650 shipped with 2GB class 2 micro sd cards. That indicates to me that that class card is compatible with the device. It also tells me that that is what RIM recommends because if they were to publish anything else such as a recommendation that you use a class 4 or 6 card they would be at least seen at "cheap" (and probably worse) by only shipping units with a class 2 card.
    I get the logic, but unfortunately that's not necessarily how RIM or any other smartphone producer thinks. It doesn't bother RIM that they ship you a 1 or 2GB micro-SD card when you can use up to a 32GB micro-SDHC card. Or that they ship a leather case with their "flagship" Bold devices, but then release a higher-model leather case with a brushed metal BB logo.

So just because they include a class 2 card does not mean that they aren't compatible as an upgrade.

07-18-10 01:44 PM
    It also tells me that that is what RIM recommends because if they were to publish anything else such as a recommendation that you use a class 4 or 6 card they would be at least seen at "cheap" (and probably worse) by only shipping units with a class 2 card.
    How? RIM does not make or sell memory cards. Nor do they have to include one.
    They are giving them away for free so no matter what the class of the card the
    end user gets a benefit at no cost. Anyone dissatisfied with the class or
    capacity of the no cost card is free to go out and buy a better one.
    07-18-10 02:54 PM
    I switched my included 2GB microsd for a 4GB micro sdhc class6, and the difference is AMAZING. I do understand the Blackberry is designed for a class2, but just loading my media files in the 4GB took less than 10 minutes vs 1 hour when I did on the 2GB card. Also, I've noticed that taking pictures and saving the files on the media card is way faster, same when you finish recording a video it takes nothing to finish it.
    I do recommend a faster SD, maybe not a class10, but a class 4 over a class 2 will well worth the extra money...
    07-19-10 12:49 AM
    I have a 8GB microSDHC. It's a Class 4 made by a company called Dane-Elec. I picked it up from TigerDirect.ca for under $20 Cdn, including SD and miniSD adapters.

I can't comment on the speed right now. I have something causing a slowdown and RAM loss. Trying to pin down which app is the culprit�

07-19-10 03:55 AM
    I can't comment on the speed right now. I have something causing a slowdown and RAM loss. Trying to pin down which app is the culprit�

Consider the possibility that the card is contributing to your performance drag. Try putting your old card back in and see if it makes a difference.
    07-19-10 08:29 AM
    How? RIM does not make or sell memory cards. Nor do they have to include one.
    They are giving them away for free so no matter what the class of the card the
    end user gets a benefit at no cost. Anyone dissatisfied with the class or
    capacity of the no cost card is free to go out and buy a better one.
    My point was they do provide a card so it must meet the needs of the device. To recommend a specific class and provide a lower class would be cheap, but RIM does not do that. My guess is that is because a class 2 meets the needs of the device. If RIM did recommend a class 4 card they would be better served by not providing the card.
    07-19-10 01:22 PM
    Consider the possibility that the card is contributing to your performance drag. Try putting your old card back in and see if it makes a difference.
    While possible, it is not probable as I've now had this larger card for 6 months.
    Still might worth trying out�

07-19-10 06:05 PM
    My first reply

I took a little speed test on my BB.
    I have 2 SD card class 6 and 2

The test is to compare the card reader inside my Curve to the card reader on my MacBook Pro.

Note:
    This test is only to find out how fast the Curve can write/read form a SD card.

Some facts:
    BlackBerry Curve 8520 (OS v5.0.0.681)
    Encryption is off.
    Mass Storage Mode: enabled (BB as a card reader)
    Connected true USB to Mac.
    Both card is newly formatted on the Curve, contains only BlackBerry folder.
    No picture, move�etc.
    PC: MacBook Pro v5,3 (OS X 10.6.4)
    App for speed test: Xbench v1.3
    ----------------------------
    SD cards:
    Transcend 8Gb Micro SDHC Class 6
    Kingston 16Gb Micro SDHC Class 2
    Kingstone MicroSD adapter
    ----------------------------

Results:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    BlackBerry Curve (Mass Storage Mode)
    Card: Transcend 8Gb Micro SDHC Class 6

Results
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.6.4
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookPro5,3
    Drive Type RIM BlackBerry SD
    Disk Test
    Sequential
    Uncached Write 11.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 9.96 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 3.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 13.72 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random
    Uncached Write 0.02 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 0.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 3.62 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 13.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    BlackBerry Curve (Mass Storage Mode)
    Card: Kingston 16Gb Micro SDHC Class 2

Results
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.6.4
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookPro5,3
    Drive Type RIM BlackBerry SD
    Disk Test
    Sequential
    Uncached Write 6.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 6.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 3.14 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 15.63 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random
    Uncached Write 0.49 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 14.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    MacBook Pro: APPLE SD Card Reader
    Card: Transcend 8Gb Micro SDHC Class 6

Results
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.6.4
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookPro5,3
    Drive Type APPLE SD Card Reader
    Disk Test
    Sequential
    Uncached Write 9.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 9.07 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 4.63 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 15.14 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random
    Uncached Write 0.97 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 4.13 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 15.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    MacBook Pro: APPLE SD Card Reader
    Card: Kingston 16Gb Micro SDHC Class 2

Results
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.6.4
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookPro5,3
    Drive Type APPLE SD Card Reader
    Disk Test
    Sequential
    Uncached Write 6.14 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 5.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 3.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 18.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random
    Uncached Write 0.51 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 3.20 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 18.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    08-04-10 11:09 AM
    This was the only thread I could find after much internet search about performance of various classes of SD cards in blackberry devices.

I wanted to know whether class 6 is necessary in blackberry curve 9300, or class 4 will do fine. Class 4 seems cheap enough and is easily available on eBay in India, compared to less choice in class 6.

A few forums suggested class 6 for video recording etc. But no one could say if 320X240 video of blackberry needs class 6. So my take is that class 6 sdhc is required for camcorders etc recording in higher definition.

Another point mentioned by some is that class 6 will be better for transferring data at higher speed between computer and card. That is not major concern for me. Reasonable speed of data within blackberry is the main issue for me.

From test results of class 2 and class 6 in previous post, there is no great performance difference between class 2 and class 6, so it doesn't seem that class 4 will be any problem in 9300.

So I will not spend extra on class 6 for now.
    02-15-11 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD