i have heard (or read) of people in the forums preferring to store files on their external media cards rather than on their internal device memory. I was wondering if people wanted to share their use cases and any general thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages to each approach.

for me, I'm still rocking the 2 gb card that came with my bb 9700 in my 9810 (which did not come with a complimentary sd card, but i DID get a refurb phone). but the 9810 has 8..more like 6.2 gigs of free internal memory. would it be more wise to use up sd card memory first and then the phone's internal memory for storage, or vice versa?

tia
    01-06-12 01:22 PM
    I would say you ALWAYS want to store your personal data, songs, photos, documents, etc. on external media SD. If your phone decides to go belly up or the OS becomes corrupt you still have all your stuff safe. No matter where you choose to store it, ALWAYS back up. Did I say ALWAYS too many times?
    mmason31 likes this.
    01-06-12 01:25 PM
    I would say you ALWAYS want to store your personal data, songs, photos, documents, etc. on external media SD...Did I say ALWAYS too many times?
    haha, no, of course you didn't. thanks for the input.

i'm leaning toward keeping music on the internal memory, as I don't need to worry about losing that, since it's all on my computer. for pictures, though, I think I will stick with the sd card
    01-06-12 02:22 PM
    I always kept everything on the SD card. My Tour had such little internal memory already, if I stored anything on there, it would start to lag. Plus I had 40+ apps on the Tour. If I stored media internally, that would mean less app space.
    01-06-12 04:21 PM
    I store mp3's and other non-important files on the card and I store "top secret" files on the internal memory. I backup what's on the internal memory about once a week to another location just incase the phone suffers an irreversible death.

I also configured the phone to store camera pictures on internal memory because there may be times where I would take pictures of things (or people) that I wouldn't want someone to see, lol.

My reasoning for doing this is this...If I ever lose my phone, the person who finds it will only have access to what's on the card; music. I can rest easy knowing that I can wipe what's on the phone remotely using BlackBerry Protect, OR the person will eventually wipe the phone themselves after 10 failed attempts at guessing the password.

Yes, you can set your phone up to encrypt what's on the card but there are ways around encryption. I look at it this way. If someone has your memory card in their posession, they have all the time in the world to work on breaking into the data that's located on it.

I'm @nal about my data, but i'm a Database Administrator, it's the nature of my work
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 01-06-12 at 06:41 PM.
    Media Warrior likes this.
    01-06-12 06:38 PM
    I usually reserve the internal memory for direct storage from the camera, etc.. I am not sure, but it makes sense that it might perform better. I have a 32gb sd card in the Torch 9810, and am storing all my music on the card. It works pretty much flawlessly. I have not added enough of my collection to need to think about taking up some of the internal memory..
    01-07-12 02:51 AM
    I found this post after opening a new thread so forgive the duplicate post.
    I've offered advice to many CB users here and also asked for a lot over the years but I"m lost on this one!
    I'm not sure where to begin but here goes. I've never been one for syncing a lot of music to my phone but since I hate iPods and have the 9810 (previously 9800) and a computer folder with about 7500 songs, about a year ago, I moved several of the music song folders over to the device's folder: Device\user\music\music sync (I believe) and then used the "drag and drop" method to move the music I wanted from my pc to the device.
    Bingo, it worked fine on both devices for the last two years. Then--I decided to rip some songs from a new Bob Dylan CD to an mp3 format-store in folder on pc--move to device folder, and thought everything would be fine. Not knowing exactly what I was doing I admit, I hit "Media Sync" for the first time ever and it started syncing from windows media and God knows where else and i ended up with 2 and 3 copies of each song. (btw, I looked on the removable media card disk and there was no music on it but the phone kept saying the music was on the media card??)
    So, thinking I understood BB like I do Windows (which I do) I went into the device folder and deleted all the music--left the files that were required to run it, and wiped all the rest. Then went to the back up folder in my pc and deleted what it looked like was there as well. Then---drug the music I wanted on the phone back over to the device music sync folder from pc and let it sync! Once again the media sync came on when I didn't want it to--(still don't know how to stop it from syncing each time I plug in DM) and now the music is back on but I now have 3 and 4 copies of each song in each folder and I don't know what to do. My downloaded music went from 300 songs to 490 songs meaning 190 of them are dups.
    So any help in this area is so appreciated.
    My Questions are: How do I get rid of the dup songs and make sure they don't reappear and how do I keep DM from doing a media sync every time I plug the phone in. And, lastly, when do I do a media sync having never used it before? Thank you so much!
    Jack
    PS: just in process of moving the music that is on internal memory to media card to see if that helps. I deleted the 180-190 duplicate songs but am afraid of syncing it anymore and of course I have to do that even if i delete all the songs.

I just realized that I have and am now storing the songs under BB/Music/Media Sync. Should they be stored in just music? What is the correct folder as I always use the music icon to start the music. Please any thoughts or help is appreciated! Afraid to sync again -LOL
    Last edited by go1ndr; 02-02-12 at 09:02 PM.
    02-02-12 08:58 PM
    I like to store everything and anything I can on the card. When we shoot photos with the camera or take vids they will always initially be stored on the device memory first, by design. From there we have to copy and paste or move the ones we want to keep to folders on the media card. It is different from files and attachments we download which can be saved "directly" to folders on the card. Why use our precious memory up on media when a 32 gig card will easily handle it all. I have never used media sync in the 4 years and 3 blackberry's I have owned. Don't use the DM, just open your media card as a seperate drive, then drag and drop. I have nearly 4 gigs and counting on my card and they never dup! Hope this helps someone out there. Have fun!
    02-02-12 10:11 PM

about a year ago, I moved several of the music song folders over to the device's folder: Device\user\music\music sync (I believe) and then used the "drag and drop" method to move the music I wanted from my pc to the device.
    Bingo, it worked fine on both devices for the last two years. Then--I decided to rip some songs from a new Bob Dylan CD to an mp3 format-store in folder on pc--move to device folder, and thought everything would be fine. Not knowing exactly what I was doing I admit, I hit "Media Sync" for the first time ever and it started syncing from windows media and God knows where else and i ended up with 2 and 3 copies of each song. (btw, I looked on the removable media card disk and there was no music on it but the phone kept saying the music was on the media card??)
    your post is a bit wordy and convoluted.
    Media sync has a folder it puts songs you are syncing with your PC-everything in there gets sync'd with your PC.
    depending on the rule you set, files are copied to the PC and deleted from the device when you sync. so if you copied songs manually to your device, moved them to the sync folder and do a sync, all those songs are treated as new files and a copy sent to your PC for preservation the first time.

if you set your sync to replace the songs on your device with a new set, the files on ur device gets deleted but the copy on ur PC doesnt
    02-03-12 03:29 AM
    Anyone know how to set folder location for data (be it music or photos) on bb10?

Here's my issue - like most sensible people, I've always kept everything on the sd card, inc ringtones & wallpapers, so swapping was a breeze. But my new Q10 has twice the memory of my sd card. What 16Gb internal memory is intended for, I can't imagine.

Problem is I can't SELECT which is used, either for direct transfer via usb cable or by downloading.

Anyone have a clue? Help PLS?
    06-21-13 09:57 PM
    I store data on cards and in the cloud and keep the device freed up for apps and games and what have you.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 10:45 PM
    Media on the 16GB card, which gives you more internal memory for downloading Apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 04:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD