What do you use to secure your screen lenses in place? I've discovered tonight that Loctite may not be the best option. :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 01:42 AM
    Shouldn't need "securing"?!
    08-29-08 03:13 AM
    I'm assuming you are refering to a lens cover replacement and not a skin. If you bought a replacement lens cover, it should have come with double sided tape cut in the outline of the lens and already fitted on the underside of the lens for you.

Some sellers don't send it to you like that, and then you need to find a way to buy the tape made for the lens.

Oops...EDIT that. I didn't see at the time that you have a Curve. My post above was applicable if you have a Pearl. Not sure how the Curve's lens is normally secured.

Last edited by dknyberry; 08-29-08 at 10:02 AM.
    08-29-08 07:33 AM
    OMG....say you didn't.
    You used Loctite!?

Dm
    08-29-08 07:58 AM
    Hate to necropost, but I still haven't gotten a satisfactory answer to this question. I ordered a couple of lenses, and they didn't come with adhesive. Superglue and Loctite are right out (they etch, discolor and warp the lens.) I was thinking maybe some JB Weld (sparingly?) Obviously double-sided tape won't do, nor will regular glue. I figure rubber cement is also a non-option. I haven't been to a hobby store yet (going tonight or tomorrow) so I'll see if I can find some plastic cement. But I was just wondering what the CB community does when lenses ship sans adhesive?
    09-22-08 05:39 PM
    necropost!! funny word.
    09-22-08 07:30 PM
    Hate to necropost, but I still haven't gotten a satisfactory answer to this question. I ordered a couple of lenses, and they didn't come with adhesive. Superglue and Loctite are right out (they etch, discolor and warp the lens.) I was thinking maybe some JB Weld (sparingly?) Obviously double-sided tape won't do, nor will regular glue. I figure rubber cement is also a non-option. I haven't been to a hobby store yet (going tonight or tomorrow) so I'll see if I can find some plastic cement. But I was just wondering what the CB community does when lenses ship sans adhesive?
    isaacleese: What did you end up using? I've run into the same situation - replacement lens did not arrive with adhesive.
    01-06-09 08:36 PM
    Zagg InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protector for Select Blackberry Smartphones (3-Pack)
    Model: BLKBRY3PK
    SKU: 8916685
    Availability: Available at most stores
    Price: $20.99

thats what i use and i love it its made to fit your bb screen comes with 3 protecters 1 for pearl 1 for a curve and 1 for a 8800 it sticks right on i love it and its the best got it a best buy

This has nothing to do with the thread topic.

To the OP, I would imagine you should be looking for something with low tack, non-volatile curing, so no solvent based adhesives that will attack/warp the plastic material.

EDIT: Removed suggestion of plumber's putty as being non-drying. On second thought, after a while I do believe it would dry out and start to get flaky, not something you would want to have falling on the insides of your phone.
    Last edited by dvdfan2k; 01-07-09 at 01:25 AM.
    01-06-09 11:05 PM
    Don't use superglue. It's too strong and if you need to pry the lens off ever again, you will probably have to crack the screen to get it off (like I did). A strong adhesive works well. I think I used 3M Super Adhesive (waterproof).
    01-06-09 11:12 PM
    My lens came with 3m adhesive tape. Just chenged it out last night. Man was I scared. Old lens broke into multiple parts as I removed it but new one fit snug and seems to be tight and good as new so far. I ordered from ebay for like $9.95. was delivered from Hong Kong. Guy on You tube said to use Elmer's Crazy glue. I like the 3m tape adhesive though. was pre-cut.
    01-07-09 09:46 AM
    Don't use superglue. It's too strong and if you need to pry the lens off ever again, you will probably have to crack the screen to get it off (like I did). A strong adhesive works well. I think I used 3M Super Adhesive (waterproof).
    Was the super adhesive in gel form?
    01-24-09 11:21 AM
    for the curve why just not change the full faceplate? I'm talking about the 83XX...

Changing the faceplate is easier than changing the lens only and will cost 3-4$ more... and you have the option to order cool colors from SW-Box.com with the matching battery cover. For disassembly tutorial look on youtube.

Your phone will be unic
    04-04-10 09:35 PM
    Hello,
    I have a question.

All replacement lcds come without that "glue" between lcd and lens???

I just replaced mine and it looks different than the original one, its impossible to see from the sides or top.
    I think that glue makes the difference.
    06-26-10 05:51 PM
    Double sided adhesive 3M tape that I bought at Lowes worked perfectly

06-26-10 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD