...You're not a Blackberry user, are you?
    You know I am, but even though it can cause mental anguish and sometimes even physical pain, there are certain times when I have to ignore the vibration until the right time.

My will power is stronger than that rat pushing the lever, although probably not by much.

A few nights ago, I realized I had left my BB in my office. As I was walking back, I probably tried to grab my BB 3 times to call my wife and let her know I was running late, because I had forgotten my BB...
    01-11-12 06:44 PM
    So there's your choice. Hand over a phone (for what, I have no clue), or be suspended.

How long will they hold on to your property? Will they pay the cell bill of the unused phone? Will it be in a secure area? Will your phone be accessed (unlocked)? If so, why?
    01-11-12 06:44 PM
    They will take the phone for a week. They won't pay anything. It will be in the principal's office. Finally, who knows what they want to do with it.
    01-11-12 06:59 PM
    I took notes on my iPad and computer my senior year of high school and got straight As and am now at one of the best schools in the nation. Sure I would browse the internet and facebook sometimes, but only when I knew material being taught or there was a break. And now in college I use my laptop for most of my notes and am doing just fine...

Its not the computer/phone/tablet, its the student. And if you just take away a phone, it doens't mean they are going to learn or pay attention any more or less than if they had it.

My high school is even considering giving every kid a new iPad every year for textbook use and note use (price would just be added to the tuition...).

But, to the OP, I really like the posts that branta made, they are very sound arguments. BUT, do you go to a private school? IF you do, they may have the right to take the phone away, but I'm sure if you give them an old one that's powered off, with no SIM, they cannot ask for you to turn it on, that is invasion of privacy.

I would like to see how this turns out, please keep us updated.
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-11-12 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Content Edit, quoted post was deleted
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-11-12 07:19 PM
    I took notes on my iPad and computer my senior year of high school and got straight As and am now at one of the best schools in the nation. Sure I would browse the internet and facebook sometimes, but only when I knew material being taught or there was a break. And now in college I use my laptop for most of my notes and am doing just fine...

Its not the computer/phone/tablet, its the student. And if you just take away a phone, it doens't mean they are going to learn or pay attention any more or less than if they had it.

My high school is even considering giving every kid a new iPad every year for textbook use and note use (price would just be added to the tuition...).

But, to the OP, I really like the posts that branta made, they are very sound arguments. BUT, do you go to a private school? IF you do, they may have the right to take the phone away, but I'm sure if you give them an old one that's powered off, with no SIM, they cannot ask for you to turn it on, that is invasion of privacy.

I would like to see how this turns out, please keep us updated.
    So you want a cookie because you may or may not have acted responsibly while facebooking in school?

Bottom line: Put the stupid cell phone down or leave it at home. Your important social life can wait.
    01-11-12 07:24 PM
    So you want a cookie because you may or may not have acted responsibly while facebooking in school?

Bottom line: Put the stupid cell phone down or leave it at home. Your important social life can wait.
    Guess we just disagree... But for the OP, he was responding to an email, and who knows what was going on in the classroom, if it was important and he missed it, he will do poorly when tested, if it wasn't important it will be fine. Again, it really depends on the student, its not entirely about the phone.

And no thanks on the cookie, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and excel with or without a phone or computer in use, because apparently it hasn't mattered for me... I'm usually more involved when I can look things up and interact with the material I'm being lectured on.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-11-12 07:28 PM
    man, I've been out of school for long eh
    when did school have the right to take away phones?
    is this high school?
    01-11-12 07:30 PM
    Guess we just disagree... But for the OP, he was responding to an email, and who knows what was going on in the classroom, if it was important and he missed it, he will do poorly when tested, if it wasn't important it will be fine. Again, it really depends on the student, its not entirely about the phone.
    I dont know the last time I didnt see a kid walking down the street texting. Give me a good reason why 12 year olds need phones and Ill stfu.

Teenager Falls Down Manhole While Texting and Walking

Welcome to your generation kid.
    01-11-12 07:33 PM
    I dont know the last time I didnt see a kid walking down the street texting. Give me a good reason why 12 year olds need phones and Ill stfu.

Wow, that really seals the argument. Just look at this 40-something yr old kid:

Are you going to get the hose and chase us off of your lawn?
    01-11-12 07:42 PM

Well, I'm 18, so I do take it a bit offensively when you call me a kid. I'm not saying that I walk aimlessly while texting or text and drive, because I don't. Plus, this OP, if in high school, is definitely not 12 (unless he is incredibly bright for his age, in which case we probably wouldn't be having this conversation).

There are definitely emergency reasons as to why young kids need phones. In middle school you are away more, at friends houses, seeing movies in public places, etc etc. Sure, maybe a dumb-phone would do the trick and that's what the majority of 12 year olds get I assume (maybe with an iPod touch for gaming). The world definitely is changing, and I agree it isn't always for the better. I can't stand when I'm at dinner with younger kids and all they do is play on their phones the whole time (even when there are others there that are their same age). Sure I'll check my phone once or twice during dinner or while waiting in line for something, but I'm not obnoxious about it.

Plus, what is all this technology at our fingertips for if we shouldn't use it and have our kids use it? No offense, but rules put on young adults should be no different from those placed on adults in this case. People use their phones at work, and I'm sure some offices have policies against it, but I highly doubt people with Blackberry devices and iPhones/Androids whatever use their phones to send emails every once in a while, both for business and pleasure when at work.

And back to the OP, we are talking about a school related email, something relevant to his education and part of the reason he is going to school in the first place. Sure he could have waited until after class, but he didn't and we shouldn't be here to scold the OP, but to help him through his problem, because I personally thing a school being able to confiscate your cell phone for a first time offense for a week, especially when relating to something scholastic, is ridiculous.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    01-11-12 07:49 PM
    If i leave the sim and battery in and set up a password, can they somehow find out its not usable (i was thinking maybe with emergency calls)?
    The ziploc idea sounds like a good plan. Might do that
    911 works from all cell phones, with or without active plan. Even on pay as you go phones that are out of minutes.
    But, yes it does need a charged battery and a sim card
    Last edited by CDM76; 01-11-12 at 07:56 PM.
    01-11-12 07:51 PM
    Go to Staples and take the oldest phone you can find in the recycle bin and give that to the teacher
    01-11-12 07:59 PM
    This thread is going downhill fast.
    01-11-12 08:43 PM
    Hi everyone,

I got caught using my friend's phone in school recently. The school now wants either my phone or his. Out of respect to my friend, I decided I will give my phone.

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9780 on Rogers. I DON'T intend on giving the school my actual phone. My idea is to give them an old Curve 8520 on Rogers and put in an old Rogers sim card. Here's my question: if I put a security password on the phone, is there anyway the school can know that the phone isn't actually usable (since it's an old sim card)?

If yes, do you guys have any other ideas? I have to give it in tomorrow.

Thanks!
    I would not give it to them at all, it is yours!!!!!! They have no right!
    01-11-12 08:56 PM
    I will admit that this post definitely owned the OP... and hits on some of my points (even if we may not agree on others). But the fact that it is the student, not the device that is the major factor seems to be clear.

This is why, in response to the original problem the OP stated, I still don't feel as though it should be right for the school to take away the device, especially when he was responding to a school email which wrongly reported that he had failed a test and because it was not only a first offense (seemingly), but also the only evidence used was the 'sent from Blackberry' signature and the school is trying to get the phone now, after the fact and after the initial incident (which the OP was NOT caught for).
    I agree that the device should not have been confiscated for a first offence - that was a bit harsh. But two wrongs don't make a right - just because the school made a mistake about a failed test doesn't give the student the right to use their phone and break school rules. Although the student wasn't actually caught red-handed, "sent from my BlackBerry" is enough evidence for me. But that's just my opinion....

So today, boys and girls, we learned two valuable lessons. #1 Follow the rules. #2 Change your email signature in your BIS settings. Seeing as how the OP is a tech savvy student, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Class dismissed.
    01-11-12 09:09 PM
    Buy an 8820 and give that to them
    01-11-12 09:10 PM
    This thread is going downhill fast.
    We got this CBB!

Folks,

It appears TWO Mods cleaned up this thread! Myself and another Mod have deleted several rude, and or argumentative posts. I have decided not to issue any infractions, BUT I can not speak for the other Mod. HOWEVER I am going to issue a general warning/reminder, that CB is a help forum, NOT a troll and insult forum! Got the message!

01-11-12 09:14 PM
    Well, being a teacher, I can tell you what the rules are in my state. Studens may possess a wireless telecommunications device (this is the way it's worded) on school premises. However, they are not supposed to have it on during the instructional hours. Students in violation of this can have their devices confiscated. This is in the student parent handbook. The parents and students sign a slip saying they have read the book and agree to the rules. And it would be uncommon for other states to not have it stated this way.

So, yes, if a student has their cell phone out and they are using it, then it can be taken away. It's not because they want to rifle through it, it's because the student is breaking the contract. A lot of teachers don't take teh cell phones away and some teachers take every students phone away.

With most students now carrying cell phones, cell phone theft became common, cheating through the use of cell phones wasn't uncommon, etc. Yes, I know, not every student does but it was/has become/and still is a problem. The easiest way to deal with these issues is to say don't bring phones. However, that's not really feasible. So the next best thing for school districts to implement is not to use them during school hours.

What my school typically does is if they take a phone, the student can come get it at teh end of the day. If it gets taken away a second time, the parents have to come and get it.

The simple answer is to take the sim out, bag it up, turn it in. Apologize and ask when you can have it back. I'm willing to bet if you apologize (even if you're not sorry) for breaking the rules, it'll go a long way in getting it back.

Actually, I'd prob run this one past your parents and ask them for advice on which phone to turn in. Sometimes life is tough when you're a minor.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-11-12 at 10:11 PM.
    01-11-12 10:08 PM
    Like I think was said. But with a twist. Purchase a sim, 10.00, activate and install. Password protect the phone. Kill the battery and hand in.

No chance they will charge it or if they do ask for the password. Breaking too many laws.
    01-11-12 10:17 PM
    Like I think was said. But with a twist. Purchase a sim, 10.00, activate and install. Password protect the phone. Kill the battery and hand in.

No chance they will charge it or if they do ask for the password. Breaking too many laws.
    This is way too much work. And he has to turn it in tomorrow. The simple solution is he turns in his older BB. There's a chance the school will call his parents, so he should give his mom and dad a heads up.

Problem solved.
    01-11-12 10:24 PM
    I would fire up the old phone, set a password on it and then pull out the SIM and the battery. Put the phone and the battery in a ziploc and seal it with tape, write your name on it. If you are pressed, tell them your parent took the SIM out because they do not want someone abusing or tampering with the phone. There's no reason they should need to power up the phone if it is being held for punishment.

At least that's what I would probably do.

I just confirmed with my daughter, her school takes em too.

I passed this information along to her. And reminded her if the school requested the pwd to them its 'nonaya business'. along with if the tape is breached they will be hearing from a laywer.
    01-11-12 11:03 PM
    I too find it odd that it wasn't siezed at the time the offense occured. What would happen if you set them up with an old bb with a password set to a low limit of like 3. If your teacher or principal wipes it trying to get in, are they violating civil rights or privacy laws? They are confiscating it as punishment and not for an investigation right?
    01-12-12 12:48 AM
    I too find it odd that it wasn't siezed at the time the offense occured. What would happen if you set them up with an old bb with a password set to a low limit of like 3. If your teacher or principal wipes it trying to get in, are they violating civil rights or privacy laws? They are confiscating it as punishment and not for an investigation right?
    OP stated that they only caught him because when he emailed a teacher, the 'Sent from my Blackberry etc etc" signature was on the email and the teacher received the email time-stamped during school hours. So, I guess that gives them enough evidence to ask for the phone, even though the OP wasn't actually caught with it in person.
    01-12-12 01:24 AM
    Here's an idea that may help you in the future:

Don't use your phone or a friends phone in school.

Sure, this isn't going to do you much good now, but it will prevent this kind of problem from happening in the first place.
    Reminds me of the scene in Sherlock Holmes, when Lestrade says "That's not Blackwood!"
    01-12-12 01:33 AM

You gonna hire a $500 dollar an hour lawyer to sue the school for the time you had to spend re-loading your OS?

I think everyone is going a little too far with this.

If it were me, I would refuse to give them anything and if that is a problem then I would tell them to take it up with my parents.

Or

Put a password on it, take the battery and sim out and give it to them After they have indicated exactly when it will be returned. If they want to keep it for an extended period of time than I would go back to option one.

Here is a video that deals with situations like this and after seeing it I think it may make you wanna stand your ground since proper discipline is being removed from classrooms.

You didn't even use the damn thing in class. Fight against unreasonable stuff like this so people understand that violating your personal space and belongings will always be more trouble than its worth.

The only way to loose your power is to allow other people to take/steal it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...9GhipPDE&gl=US

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-12-12 at 01:41 AM.
    01-12-12 01:39 AM
159 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD