Try wiping it down with doggie doo doo, then hand it in.
    01-13-12 01:26 PM
    It would be a cold day in before they would get my phone!
    01-13-12 02:53 PM
    No, they should have students who obey the rules and don't try to worm their way out of situations that are unpleasant. Apparently the OP and most everyone on this thread think it's okay to skirt doing the right thing and get by with being dishonest.

A Big X2 !!

This thread just screams of what is wrong with today's society.

As I said before. Man up and grow a pair of balls! Man Alive.
    01-13-12 03:07 PM
    But some rules are meant to be challenged. Just look at history. Sure, if the OP was asked to hand his phone over for the day, I wouldn't be so adamant about him refusing. But in this case the consequence seems unequal to the offense.

Yes, rules are rules, but what is society if we can't challenge those rules as citizens? Oh right, tyranny? If a school, public or private, tried to take away my personal phone for a week because of a first time, non-disturbing offense I would definitely challenge that rule. Its like the blind leading the blind... A teacher who is probably out to get this kid for no reason (trying to take his phone with 2nd hand evidence and no initial confiscation) and some members here who are telling the OP to roll over and let the school do whatever they please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-12 03:51 PM
    But some rules are meant to be challenged. Just look at history. Sure, if the OP was asked to hand his phone over for the day, I wouldn't be so adamant about him refusing. But in this case the consequence seems unequal to the offense.

Yes, rules are rules, but what is society if we can't challenge those rules as citizens? Oh right, tyranny? If a school, public or private, tried to take away my personal phone for a week because of a first time, non-disturbing offense I would definitely challenge that rule. Its like the blind leading the blind... A teacher who is probably out to get this kid for no reason (trying to take his phone with 2nd hand evidence and no initial confiscation) and some members here who are telling the OP to roll over and let the school do whatever they please.

I dare you to challenge a cop next time he tries to write you a ticket for speeding. Make sure he posts a picture to his Twitter account of you in the backseat of his squad car. The consequence for speeding is a ticket. The consequence for refusing a ticket is jail. In the OP's case, the consequence for using a cell phone at school is having the phone taken away.

As for the teacher who is out to get the kid...It's a crying shame there is no LMAO emoticon on this site. I'd fill an entire page up. The teacher isn't out to get this kid anymore than Obama himself will knock on my door and sucker punch me because I can't afford healthcare insurance. The teacher has morals and is upholding the rules of the school. You're telling the OP to stand up for his rights. As George Carlin said, "You have no rights. You have owners."
    01-13-12 04:21 PM
    Figured I might as well chime in too. In my county (Berkeley County, WV), teachers used to have the "power" to take devices. However, starting this year, that power was revoked and they were simply told to write referrals(write-ups). I believe they should not even be allowed to do that. If a student wants to pay attention and learn, then they will, don't force it.

As for what to do about those who can have them taken, take the suspension. Then show up the following day with a parent/guardian and have a meeting (unscheduled) with your administrators.

As for what started the issue, teachers use email frequently in my area. Typically before or after they'd see the student for the day/week, but on occasion, even while the student is present. And a prompt response is morally obligated.
    01-13-12 04:24 PM
    Sure, if you are blatantly speeding you will get a ticket. But if you are given a ticket and a cop gives you a ticket and then hits you when you don't resist you can file a lawsuit and win as long as you have the evidence.

Its unfair punishment. Plus, teachers aren't cops and they aren't the 'law'. They have rules to abide by as well, and those rules can be challenged.

There were times when getting an abortion was illegal and you would go to jail for attempting one; now after challenging the system abortions are legal in most cases.

I just feel like the punishment is unfit for the offense.

And I agree with what powerhoghp said. The school shouldn't have the right to take away your device. If people don't get rights, then why should schools?

01-13-12 05:21 PM
    Figured I might as well chime in too. In my county (Berkeley County, WV), teachers used to have the "power" to take devices. However, starting this year, that power was revoked and they were simply told to write referrals(write-ups). I believe they should not even be allowed to do that. If a student wants to pay attention and learn, then they will, don't force it.
    Dont force learning? WTF?

If they give me the ability as a taxpayer to NOT pay taxes then fine - let kids do whatever the they want. But as long as I'm footing the bill for you kids - you'll do what you're told.
    01-13-12 06:07 PM
    Sure, if you are blatantly speeding you will get a ticket. But if you are given a ticket and a cop gives you a ticket and then hits you when you don't resist you can file a lawsuit and win as long as you have the evidence.
    For a supposed bright kid you make terribly stupid analogies.

Its unfair punishment. Plus, teachers aren't cops and they aren't the 'law'. They have rules to abide by as well, and those rules can be challenged.
    They are the law in school. Can a principal paddle you for being dumb? No (unfortunately). Can they yank your phone if you are using it when you're not supposed to? Absolutely.
    01-13-12 06:09 PM
    Can this thread just be closed. It's the same stuff over and over!
    Some think he should make a huge deal and get the law involved.
    Others think he should just follow the damn rules, turn the phone in and move on with life.

I think this should be put on the list for most controversial thread on Crackberry!
    01-13-12 06:16 PM

They are the law in school. Can a principal paddle you for being dumb? No (unfortunately). Can they yank your phone if you are using it when you're not supposed to? Absolutely.
    We just disagree. But it isn't much different in my eyes. The punishment is just 'too much' for the offense. Maybe it's more like I a cop gives an excessive ticket for only going 5mph over the speed limit. Sure you can't argue with the cop, but you can go above him or her and get the ticket revoked or lessened.

Maybe I was priviledged with my private school life, but taking a phone for a week is really just stupid if someone is caught with it in high school. That should be the parents' job.
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 01-13-12 at 06:45 PM.
    01-13-12 06:32 PM
    Hello, is it only me who feels something is wrong over here?
    He said he got an email on his own BlackBerry from a teacher ... why would he reply from a friend's BlackBerry??? That makes him suspicious actually.

But anyway, If I was him I would give them an old device (If I was caught texting, or by signature as he said)
    But if he was caught surfing **** I would suggest he gives the real BlackBerry lol.
    01-13-12 06:53 PM
    It's a crying shame there is no LMAO emoticon on this site. I'd fill an entire page up.
    It's a bigger crying shame there's no emoticon for a bucket of popcorn either.

Seriously though, why is this thread still open? I haven't seen the OP post in a while...
    01-13-12 06:59 PM
    Unfortunately? If a teacher ever put their hands (or paddle) on my child (if I ever have any), that would be the end of their career.

If a teacher would have ever put their hands (or paddle) on me while I was in high school, I would have punched them straight in the face. Abuse is uncalled for.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-13-12 07:21 PM
    I believe IIRC that the school can take your phone, but you have the right to password protect, and encrypt your phone before giving it to them. If they ask for the password, you have the legal right to refuse. So, what I would do is password protect, and encrypt the phone, then remove the SIM card and battery as others said.
    01-13-12 08:52 PM

From this statement, it actually seems as if you approve of police violence and maybe believe that it would be ok for police to hit you if you are speeding or something, and maybe that is why you don't like my analogies.

Actually, I was in an accident over the summer. My car was totaled because an ran a red light while I was waiting in an intersection to make a left turn, in a left turn lane. (which is legal in California). The guy speed up and swerved through a red light. Insurance deemed it was his fault. But, on topic, I was obviously incredibly angry and my temper flared a bit. So, I got out of my car and the other driver tried to blame me. That pissed me off so I went off on the guy, WITH WORDS. Never touched him, or really ever got near him. One of the cops who arrived on the scene pulled me backwards and got in my face. I immediately calmed down, I know they are the law and I was wrong for screaming at the other driver. I stepped back and said I was sorry and that I was calming down. The cop continued to rant at me. Cursed me out calling me a f**king this and a sh**y that. And continued to call me a f**king rich kid and told me my parents would just buy me another 45k car like they already did when I was 16 (I was driving my Infiniti G37S sedan which was my first car and really was much more than just a car to me). They guy really went off on me. I really didn't let it bother me much because I had witnesses and knew that I would win any insurance case. BUT, my parents arrived on the scene and when they drove me back I told them what had happened. And I was told that if I had recorded what the officer had said to me (the conversation and events that had happened) I would have easily been able to take that cop to court and win a case, almost hands down. It is police abuse and even if the cop only got a slap on the wrist or paid leave or something, I would have won that case in the name of the LAW...

So, I must say that it is quite backwards thinking if you are in favor of principles being able to paddle kids, thats really messed up and has messed up a lot of kids that have had it done to them. I don't know you, this is an internet forum, so I'm not going to knock your parenting if you have kids or what not, but I would appreciate it if you didn't call me stupid or judge me on an internet forum.

Thanks bro. We call everyone here in Los Angeles bro btw, just like you call everyone 'kid'... so please don't take offense that too...
    01-13-12 09:25 PM
    To the above, that would be hard case to win, the officer arrived on scene and found you getting in the face of someone, so right there you were in the wrong, so was the officer wrong, maybe, but not enough to take officer to court over, if anything you could file a complaint against him at the most. So your parents are wrong.

JFC. When the cops impound your car after you're arrested for DUI and the window gets smashed at the impound lot and your car stereo gets jacked, the city is not going to pay you damages. It's the same thing. Teacher takes your child's phone. The school gets robbed. The phone gets stolen. Ultimately it's YOUR CHILD'S fault for using the phone in the first place just as it's your fault because your car got impounded because YOU were drunk. If your child never used his phone to begin with, it never would have gotten confiscated. If you were driving sober, your car would have never been impounded and your car stereo would have never been jacked.

Why can't people accept blame? It's not the school's fault that your child's phone got taken. It's your child's!
    Not true either, if the police have your car impounded, and its a third party towing company ( contracted by the police dept), if anything happens to your car while in the towing company's lot, they are responsible, unless they have you sign something releasing them from it.
    vrs626 likes this.
    01-13-12 10:14 PM
    To the above, that would be hard case to win, the officer arrived on scene and found you getting in the face of someone, so right there you were in the wrong, so was the officer wrong, maybe, but not enough to take officer to court over, if anything you could file a complaint against him at the most. So your parents are wrong.
    Tell that to the lawyers we know who have won cases like that easily... When the cops can be corrupt, so can the town. The fact that I backed down, immediately, and showed no sign of aggression as the cop continued to curse and harass me, if caught on tape, could easily have gotten that cop fined or punished. Yes, I can file a complaint now, but that would go nowhere, even if witnesses testified. I'm talking if the whole incident was caught on camera/recorded.

My main objection was to mjs416 seemingly stating that he approved of violence as a means of teaching and punishment. Teachers can't put their hands on the students. If a teacher asked for a student's phone and the student didn't give it up, the teacher has no right to forcefully take the phone, he or she would need to contact the principle or a higher authority. (Again, not saying that the student shouldn't give up the phone in the first place if caught... just in the OPs case, he was asked after the fact to give up the phone for an incident than wasn't disruptive for a WEEK seems harsh. He shouldn't have to give up the phone).
    01-13-12 10:33 PM
    Unfortunately? If a teacher ever put their hands (or paddle) on my child (if I ever have any), that would be the end of their career.
    You must not be in your 30s. I remember in grade school, middle school, and even high school that we had two choices often for punishment for certain infractions--write sentences or take 1-3 swats with the paddle. Parents signed off on this. Then when we got home, dad would take his belt off and we'd get a couple more. A few licks here and there for doing something wrong never hurt anyone permanantly. And it sure made you think before you did something wrong again. The other punishments we had were in school detention in which we had trash duty after lunch in teh lunch room and around the school.

I took my PE class out to pick up trash one day because the school looked terrible. I was told I couldn't do this anymore because 'poor Johnny might cut themself on a piece of glass on teh ground and hterefore a liability.' Seriously?

If a teacher would have ever put their hands (or paddle) on me while I was in high school, I would have punched them straight in the face. Abuse is uncalled for.
    We'll have to disagree on this one. A teacher putting their hands on someone and abusing them is totally different than getting a lick or two from a paddle. And typically the students were given teh choice between a sentences or licks. It's much easier to take swats than to write sentences.

Sadly most punishements these days are a couple days of suspension in which you can do your work at home. The parents are working so the students typically just sleep in, do their work in a couple hours, tweet about their extra couple days off or post up how awesome it is on Facebook.

So a lot of times there are no real true repurcusions for bad behavior. We have students that will hit teachers if they reprimend them. The students curse teachers out. They go through their desk if the teacher takes something away from them. Etc.

I guess my thinking is if you do something that is against school rules, suffer the consequences. There's a school handbook and rules that are signed off on by the parents.

I remember that it it took me 14 no seatbelt tickets before I finally started wearing my seatbelt. I mean if motorcyclists don't have to wear seatbelts and on a bus you don't dont wear a seatbelt, it's my dang righ to wear a seatbelt or not. So I sufferend the consequences of my decisions...paying all those stupid fines.

Anyway...it's been nice chatting with y'all in this thread. Happy Friday the 13th!
    01-14-12 01:46 AM
    Seeing as most here are from the United States I thought some people might be interested in the laws around this in the US.

While there aren't many precedent setting cases involving cell phones, this is a somewhat similar situation that happened in Colorado: School Search and Seizure Case

For searches see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_v._T._L._O..
    Last edited by Boldface; 01-14-12 at 06:59 AM.
    01-14-12 06:56 AM
    You must not be in your 30s. I remember in grade school, middle school, and even high school that we had two choices often for punishment for certain infractions--write sentences or take 1-3 swats with the paddle. Parents signed off on this. Then when we got home, dad would take his belt off and we'd get a couple more. A few licks here and there for doing something wrong never hurt anyone permanantly. And it sure made you think before you did something wrong again. The other punishments we had were in school detention in which we had trash duty after lunch in teh lunch room and around the school.

I took my PE class out to pick up trash one day because the school looked terrible. I was told I couldn't do this anymore because 'poor Johnny might cut themself on a piece of glass on teh ground and hterefore a liability.' Seriously?
    No, I am in my 20s. And my father always told me while I was in school that if a teacher ever put their hands on me to tell him right away and he will take care of it. My father went to catholic school all his life so getting hit in school is nothing new to him.

Just like when I went to catholic school when I was younger and the teacher tried making me write with my right hand and I am a lefty ( I only write with my left hand and do everything else with my right).

We'll have to disagree on this one. A teacher putting their hands on someone and abusing them is totally different than getting a lick or two from a paddle. And typically the students were given teh choice between a sentences or licks. It's much easier to take swats than to write sentences.

Sadly most punishements these days are a couple days of suspension in which you can do your work at home. The parents are working so the students typically just sleep in, do their work in a couple hours, tweet about their extra couple days off or post up how awesome it is on Facebook.

So a lot of times there are no real true repurcusions for bad behavior. We have students that will hit teachers if they reprimend them. The students curse teachers out. They go through their desk if the teacher takes something away from them. Etc.

I guess my thinking is if you do something that is against school rules, suffer the consequences. There's a school handbook and rules that are signed off on by the parents.

I remember that it it took me 14 no seatbelt tickets before I finally started wearing my seatbelt. I mean if motorcyclists don't have to wear seatbelts and on a bus you don't dont wear a seatbelt, it's my dang righ to wear a seatbelt or not. So I sufferend the consequences of my decisions...paying all those stupid fines.

Anyway...it's been nice chatting with y'all in this thread. Happy Friday the 13th!
    The paddle isn't even a punishment at that point, you are given a choice. Quick and easy punishment, or write sentences. At that point the paddling is just fun for the teacher to even offer that choice. I'm sure there were kids who got paddles so many times that is didn't even hurt them anymore and they just didn't even care.

And I am mostly talking about physical abuse. Like the teacher grabbing a child and hitting them or throwing them around. If that happened to me I wouldn't let that fly, and if that happened to my kid I definitely wouldn't let that fly.

Kids nowadays get in tons of trouble just for playing around with eachother in the hallways (boy being boys just playfully pushing each other or playing some type of arm punching games).

In the high school I went to (and many others), you can't even defend yourself in a fight unless you are completely backed into a corner. Even if you were just protecting yourself you will still get several days of out of school suspension. That just seems totally unfair to me as well. You have 3 options. Fight back and defend yourself from getting your a$$ kicked and et suspended, run away and get your a$$ kicked later and probably 5x harder for not sticking up for yourself, or sit there and get hurt and wait for a teacher to break it up and still possibly get suspended. The 2 fights I got into in high school, I chose option 1. One of the times I was a freshman and the other time I was a junior. Both time my parents were happy I stuck up for myself and I didn't come home with a broken nose and blood all over my clothes due to school policy.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-14-12 at 10:12 AM.
    01-14-12 10:08 AM

You must be a tough guy too. Hopefully you dont procreate (given the terribly insightful trolling you do on these boards) but if you do - discipline your kids and other people wont have to.

you do realize teachers used to be able to paddle bad kids right?
    01-14-12 12:29 PM
    How long of a window between you recieving the email and replying? you could say it must've been delayed but you sent it at break.

Oh right what am I thinking it's a blackberry.
    But how did the email reach his friend's blackberry? Aight I can go w/ he checked his email on his friends blackberry. But why? Something is amiss here.
    My daughter's school has a policy that if technology is abused it will be taken. 1 week for 1st offense, 1 month
    A month the 2nd and rest of the year for the 3rd. If you want to pay a fine instead that is ok.
    Pp

01-14-12 01:27 PM
    But how did the email reach his friend's blackberry? Aight I can go w/ he checked his email on his friends blackberry. But why? Something is amiss here.
    True, that. Personally I'd never let ANYONE handle my phone for an extended period of time.

The only way I'd see having a friend have my BB set up for his email instead of his BB, is if his BIS account is ed up or something. But a quick call or a new account would fix that.
    01-14-12 01:55 PM
    Give the phone back to your friend
    01-14-12 02:09 PM
159 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD