.. encrypt the phone and the simcard , they won't have much luck getting into the phone , and wont be able to do anything
    01-12-12 07:22 PM
    I like how some people equate "The Rules" with "Right and Just". I'm a person, not a robot. The rest of you?
    01-12-12 08:07 PM
    Your school has the right to confiscate your property like that just for using it?
    thats what I was going to ask. If you left school with the phone that day andthey ask you the next day for it just tell them you left it at home to avoid any problems.
    01-12-12 08:18 PM
    Why has this taken so many pages? Just give them a different BlackBerry, make it password protected and then get it back in two weeks. Odds are they won't go through some huge investigation over an email.
    01-12-12 08:19 PM
    Hi BTFan, I hope you haven't given the school any phone at this point.

One important thing to remember is that school officials are not the police, you haven't broken any law and thus things like entrapment etc. do not apply. Luckily for you the only people with any authority here are basically your parents, outside of school hours there is little if anything the school can do. I'm not sure if you've agreed to any kind of behaviour contract but as you're in high school I'm assuming your not old enough (18 in Quebec I think) to sign any kind of legally binding document, have your parents signed anything?

The school can confiscate a phone but only for the amount of time they can keep someone afterschool for detention (this might vary a bit, probably a couple hours). This means they can hang onto your phone while your attending school but they cannot keep it overnight.

As for whether or not they can look through your messages or turn on your phone, that is a little more ambiguous. Generally if a school official believes there is some kind of imminent threat or the phone is unlocked in their possesion they could look through your phone. They don't, however, have the ability to force you to give any kind of password or help in accessing the phone and you would be completely justified in not giving them the battery or sim card at all as these aren't electronic communications devices.

Oh and are you at a private or public school? Obviously a private school will have an agreement with your parents about behaviour so they may have snuck anything in there. Not to say they have any extra legal abilities, just that they could suspend or expel you.

Good Luck!
    01-13-12 12:57 AM
    Just remember one thing when being sneaky: No one just looks at their crotch and smiles.
    That's because they are not as well endowed as me.

Okay. Now the thread can die. .
    01-13-12 01:06 AM
    I'm pretty sure the situation has already been dealt with and the OP just needs to come update everyone.
    01-13-12 01:10 AM
    Are you guys still on this? ....
    This has been discussed more than the middle east crisis.
    Slow news day eh???
    01-13-12 01:28 AM
    Well, if the old curve is no longer in used, just wipe the phone clean ...so if u switch it on there's nothing else for them to check anyway.

Just tell them, it's a new phone or new 2nd hand phone if it's old looking, so perhaps even some sympathy and might give it back to you.

01-13-12 03:23 AM
    I'm curious to see what happened with the OP and the situation haha.
    01-13-12 03:39 AM
    I am still trying to figure our how he got his email on his friends phone and then sent a reply from his Blackberry.

I suppose he could have used a web interface on the friends phone.

He should just give in the real phone. The teachers are not stupid. All they have to do is casually ask one of the other students, "What model Blackberry does Johnny have?" They could also make him call it to make sure it rings.
    Me too. As far as using a web interface, that doesn't show up with the signature "Sent from my Blackberry." Not that I've seen. Does anyone's?

There is something that we're missing in the whole story.

I agree with those on the thread who have stated that there is a code of conduct that parents and teachers sign. This situation would have been there, clearly spelled out.

I like Branta's phrase about the economy of truth in this whole story. Apologies to the OP, but something is missing.
    01-13-12 03:50 AM
    wait, i just thought of something that i don't think has been addressed yet.

Op was using his friend's phone, right? Op says he responded to an email from a teacher saying he failed a test. The email signature said "sent from my blackberry." now, why did op have his own email set to push to his friend's device??? If op had been checking his email on his friend's berry using the web, it would not have left the signature, right?
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-13-12 03:55 AM
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I honestly just assumed it was one of those "well, my friend..." (but we all know you are talking about yourself) situations to make himself look better. OR, he put his email on his friends phone while he was using it; who knows, could have been his friend's old phone and the OP was using it for some time, so he had his email on there... We know the OP has an old BB that he was going to use to turn in, but he never mentioned what his phone currently is, just his friends' (unless I missed something).

Doesn't really matter though, my points were aimed at the fact that he should give an old phone with no SIM/locked or whatever just because he wasn't caught red handed, meaning he wasn't disturbing the class, and since the school wanted to take away his phone for a week even though it was a first time offense.
    01-13-12 04:03 AM
    I honestly just assumed it was one of those "well, my friend..." (but we all know you are talking about yourself) situations to make himself look better. OR, he put his email on his friends phone while he was using it; who knows, could have been his friend's old phone and the OP was using it for some time, so he had his email on there... We know the OP has an old BB that he was going to use to turn in, but he never mentioned what his phone currently is, just his friends' (unless I missed something).

Doesn't really matter though, my points were aimed at the fact that he should give an old phone with no SIM/locked or whatever just because he wasn't caught red handed, meaning he wasn't disturbing the class, and since the school wanted to take away his phone for a week even though it was a first time offense.
    The OP owns a 9780 I believe.
    01-13-12 05:18 AM
    K, well first of all I know how you feel when your phone gets confiscated and it sucks (im in highschool to). Personally i am very Bold and when a teacher tried to confiscate my phone, i asked them one simple question (do they have a death wish?) and they sat back down slowly xD. i will never give someone else my phone no matter what. also a teacher tried to grab my phone before and i just moved over and they missed lol. it is your property and take care of it. just put an old sim in the curve and password lock it. if they say they cant get into it tell them that would be a violation of property and privacy rights.
    01-13-12 08:49 AM
    Me too. As far as using a web interface, that doesn't show up with the signature "Sent from my Blackberry." Not that I've seen. Does anyone's?

There is something that we're missing in the whole story.

I agree with those on the thread who have stated that there is a code of conduct that parents and teachers sign. This situation would have been there, clearly spelled out.

I like Branta's phrase about the economy of truth in this whole story. Apologies to the OP, but something is missing.
    It is possible, as he said he went to the bathroom to reply.

For example:

Borrows friends iPhone/Droid, uses web browser to check email on hotmail/Gmail, sees the email from teacher, excuses himself to go to the bathroom, gets Blackberry out of locker, replys to teacher.

I suppose they cannot use their phones even when at the bathroom during class time, since everybody would be excusing themselves to go check their email or social networking sites.
    01-13-12 08:52 AM
    Personally i am very Bold and when a teacher tried to confiscate my phone, i asked them one simple question (do they have a death wish?) and they sat back down slowly xD.

An attitude like that is only gonna get in in jail shortly after you get out of high school kid!
    Total disregard for authority figures,the law and to top it off making threats on people's lives.
    Just in case you missed the memo,making life threats on authority figures is far from bold. It is just dumb
    01-13-12 09:53 AM
    K, well first of all I know how you feel when your phone gets confiscated and it sucks (im in highschool to). Personally i am very Bold and when a teacher tried to confiscate my phone, i asked them one simple question (do they have a death wish?) and they sat back down slowly xD. i will never give someone else my phone no matter what. also a teacher tried to grab my phone before and i just moved over and they missed lol. it is your property and take care of it. just put an old sim in the curve and password lock it. if they say they cant get into it tell them that would be a violation of property and privacy rights.
    You are the poster child for the reintroduction of corporal punishment. So you physically threatened a teacher who wanted to take your phone you were using when you werent supposed to? You must be some rough customer. You also dont seem too bright.
    01-13-12 09:55 AM
    Good lord I've created a monster.

My post was simply that they have no right to actually turn on the device and try to use it, so a simple password lock on a spare device would be fine. In the flip days I'd just keep the batterry, but bb batterries are easier to find.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-12 10:51 AM
    If teachers really didn't want you to use your cellphones, then they should just invest in celluar blockers.

01-13-12 10:52 AM
    They can't open and look at your phone?!
    01-13-12 11:12 AM
    Back in my highschool days, teachers use to confiscate phones, mp3 players when they were used in class ... this is nothing new. They don't seize the phone for life ... only confiscate it for a couple of days as a punishment. Put a password on it so the teacher dosnt use it during recess ... You will eventually learn not to use you're cell phone in class if the school clearly states that doing so is illegal.
    01-13-12 11:20 AM
    Lol im not like evil or anything im just VERY protective of my stuff jk .
    I wouldn't actually hurt someone lol. xD
    01-13-12 12:13 PM
    If teachers really didn't want you to use your cellphones, then they should just invest in celluar blockers.

No, they should have students who obey the rules and don't try to worm their way out of situations that are unpleasant. Apparently the OP and most everyone on this thread think it's okay to skirt doing the right thing and get by with being dishonest.

Lol im not like evil or anything im just VERY protective of my stuff jk .
    I wouldn't actually hurt someone lol. xD
    Try saying you've got a bomb in an airport and then go "Just kidding!" right before TSA and security tackle you. Saying stuff like that and your threats against the teachers isn't funny, serious or not. Look at Columbine. Look at the Jonesboro, AR shootings many years ago. School violence is no joke. I'd be scared to death to work in a school now a days and it's no wonder why with students like you roaming the halls.
    mjs416 and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    01-13-12 12:44 PM
    Try saying you've got a bomb in an airport and then go "Just kidding!" right before TSA and security tackle you.
    I LOL'd.

10char
    01-13-12 01:06 PM
159 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD