how do you say NO to work email & call to your bb at midnight?

ppl expect yout to get wake up at 2AM to respond to email or a call.
    09-08-08 01:07 PM
    Put your phone on "Silent".

Or turn the thing off....

Lol,
    Dm
    09-08-08 01:09 PM
    Putting it on silence helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-08 01:11 PM
    I have it on 'Phone only' and set the alert as a vibrate; leave it on the bedside table - 97% of the time it wakes me up if I get called at all sorts of weird hours when there are issues...
    09-08-08 01:20 PM
    or you can use the Auto On/Off feature, and set the bb to automatically off at night
    09-08-08 01:23 PM
    I'm a pretty heavy sleeper myself. I don't hear any of the alerts even though the phone is right beside my bed.
    09-08-08 01:43 PM
    I have my messaging sounds all set to silent. If mine went off anytime I got an email or sms then I would never get any rest. I just glance at it every few minutes to see if its flashing.
    09-08-08 01:57 PM
    how do you say NO to work email & call to your bb at midnight?

ppl expect yout to get wake up at 2AM to respond to email or a call.
    If your job description includes on-call support and you're pulling this kind of crap, I'd be firing your *** so fast you wouldn't know what hit you. That is, of course, assuming you worked for me . . .

If you're being called at 2AM for non-emergent issues, then you've got workplace problems that a brief and to-the-point discussion with your supervisor should address.
    09-08-08 02:22 PM
    Assuming that you are his supervisor...of course!

09-08-08 02:27 PM
    Worst is when its a spam email at 3 in the morning and it wakes you up
    No matter how I sleep bb will always wake me up

09-08-08 03:26 PM
    If your job description includes on-call support and you're pulling this kind of crap, I'd be firing your *** so fast you wouldn't know what hit you. That is, of course, assuming you worked for me . . .

If you're being called at 2AM for non-emergent issues, then you've got workplace problems that a brief and to-the-point discussion with your supervisor should address.

I am refering to non-emergency issues.
    09-08-08 03:29 PM
    I use silent for my BB at night.
    09-09-08 12:20 AM
    I put mine on 'Phone Only', and I have my ringer on low.
    09-09-08 04:48 AM
    Being the ever worry wart father I set email to silent and phone to vibrate (it is on my bedside stand). Does not help for the wrong phone number at 2 in the morning but that does not happen often.
    09-09-08 06:37 AM
    Power your work bb off after a certain time. I only keep my personal bb on all the time, work one is going off when I go to bed.

09-09-08 06:43 AM
    Unless you are on call or in a position that would require you to be contacted for an emergency then no work related call at midnight can be justified.

E-mails ofcourse can be received at anytime but you don't have to answer them do you !?

Like many others have said, either change your profile setting or switch the phone off when you go to bed.
    09-09-08 07:14 AM
    Like many others have said, either change your profile setting or switch the phone off when you go to bed.
    What happens to Push e-mail if you power your phone off at night?

Do they just not get pushed? Or when you turn it on in the morning, will any e-mails that came in overnight all get pushed at once and flood your inboxes?

I know, it's a noob question probably.
    09-10-08 04:42 AM
    As wikes82 has already said, the best way to manage this is to use Auto On/Off.

Go to Options, Auto On/Off and set the weekday and weekend on/off times you wish to have the phone switch on and off and you are all set.

This is the preferred manner of doing the job.
    09-10-08 05:35 AM
    What happens to Push e-mail if you power your phone off at night?

Do they just not get pushed? Or when you turn it on in the morning, will any e-mails that came in overnight all get pushed at once and flood your inboxes?

I know, it's a noob question probably.
    When you turn the phone on, all the emails and pins will be delivered one after the other in the order they were received. They will all show the time you turned your phone on and they were delivered, not the original sent time. They will be delivered in chronological order.

Last edited by JeffH; 09-10-08 at 11:55 AM.
    09-10-08 07:01 AM
    Thanks for the explanation Jeff!

I saw the auto on/off feature but wasn't fully sure what it did. I might try it sometime, even though I can't see myself using it. Thanks for the tip on that Pete.

09-10-08 09:40 AM
    When you turn the phone on, all the emails and pins will be delivered one after the other in the order they were received. They will all show the time you turned your phone on and they were delivered, not the original sent time. They will be delivered in chronological order.

The message list will show the date/time that the message was received by the device, but when displaying the message contents, the header will show when the message was received at your Inbox (that the message was pushed from). At least that's how it works for me using Gmail and Verizon.
    09-10-08 12:49 PM

I agree..... Mine never stops going off... But hey it's a job
    09-10-08 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD