In the past few years, several smartphones hit the market with similar features to the iPhone and BlackBerry, but they haven't generated the same buzz. As a result, fewer developers are likely to create applications and other products that cater to those phones.

Today, the BlackBerry dominates the smartphone market with 40% market share, followed by the iPhone with 25%, according to data released by ComScore in December. In the near term, both are expected to stay at the top. ComScore found that most consumers who'll be shopping for smartphones in the next three months plan to purchase a Blackberry (51%) or an iPhone (20%).

By contrast, only 5% of respondents said they planned to purchase T-Mobile's MyTouch. The Palm Pre and Palm Centro received 2% and 1% of the vote, respectively.

A possible upcoming competitor that could shake up the space is Google's (GOOG) Android. According to ComScore, as of October, the Android's market share had doubled to 3.5% in the past year
    01-05-10 04:13 PM
    I too think Android will take some market share from Blackberry and Apple. More competition the better.
    01-05-10 04:42 PM
    the more competition the better makes them work harder I agree completely
    01-05-10 04:45 PM
    In the past few years, several smartphones hit the market with similar features to the iPhone and BlackBerry, but they haven't generated the same buzz. As a result, fewer developers are likely to create applications and other products that cater to those phones.

Today, the BlackBerry dominates the smartphone market with 40% market share, followed by the iPhone with 25%, according to data released by ComScore in December. In the near term, both are expected to stay at the top. ComScore found that most consumers who'll be shopping for smartphones in the next three months plan to purchase a Blackberry (51%) or an iPhone (20%).

By contrast, only 5% of respondents said they planned to purchase T-Mobile's MyTouch. The Palm Pre and Palm Centro received 2% and 1% of the vote, respectively.

A possible upcoming competitor that could shake up the space is Google's (GOOG) Android. According to ComScore, as of October, the Android's market share had doubled to 3.5% in the past year
    OMG! Thank you so much for posting this!!!!

I so wanted to bold out those two aspects on Yahoo and ask the Author of the article if they are aware that the MyTouch IS running Android.
    01-05-10 08:04 PM
    OMG! Thank you so much for posting this!!!!

I so wanted to bold out those two aspects on Yahoo and ask the Author of the article if they are aware that the MyTouch IS running Android.
    Lmao, good catch...
    01-05-10 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD