07-30-14 09:27 PM
79 ... 234
tools
    I am the proud owner of a 1953 Royal Quiet Deluxe mechanical typewriter.

My great grandfather bought it new in 1954 and he owned it until he passed away a couple years ago. It is in remarkably good shape, considering he used it constantly until his failing health in his old age prevented him from being able to do so.

I've typed out several letters on it and mailed them to family members for the sake of nostalgia. It works like a dream.

I consider it a priceless possession and family heirloom that I plan to one day pass along to my son.

Can you imagine being able to use your smartphone or a computer 60 years from now and still get any kind of productive use out of it? The battery wouldn't even hold a charge.

Back in the day, when your typewriter broke, you'd take it to a repair shop. A good typewriter was a quality piece of hardware and engineering, and many times it represented a considerable investment in those days. It was something you took great care of and made it last. Today, when your smartphone breaks, you discard it and get another one.

Back in the day, you had to take your time to think about what you were going to type out on a typewriter. There was no delete button. No spell check. If you made a mistake you'd either xxxxx it out or have a special eraser, correction tape or white-out handy. Today, you barely even need to think about spelling or grammar because what your smartphone doesn't auto-correct, most people don't even care about these days.

I love old tech. Let me tell you, as satisfying as the "clickety-clackety" sound and tactile feedback of the keys on a BlackBerry physical keyboard are, I think the typing experience on a nice mechanical typewriter is hard to beat.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    07-30-14 04:31 PM
    I still write with m Beautiful ink pen from Waterman. I have two. A classy pen and a white sheet of quality paper. You can't beat that.

I use my FiloFax and make many notes on papers. You always find your notes and get reminded to get things done. Something a pathetic "todo"-app won't achieve.

I love writing letters at the end of the year to valuable friends. An email won't replace that.

[thread worth: 15,000.00$]

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 05:19 PM
    Personally I think today's luxuries and the vast number of social media is a benefit in today's society, if it is used in the correct manner. Things like facebook, skype, whatsapp and bbm are essential to me, for the sole purpose of communication between my family, friends and myself. There is a number of times in the last few years I have travelled and worked across the world, for months at a time, with no access to phone signal, but with only wifi available. Without social media, I would not have been able to communicate with my wife, so I see the benifits.

However I fully understand the comments I have seen on this thread. I have known people who are constantly glued to their fb page or twitter page, and I can't help but feel sorry for them as they can't hold a conversation with the people around them. It's infuriating when you are having a conversation and the person you are trying to talk to starts to blank you because of their need to check every single social app they have to ensure 'nobody has tweeted them' or 'posted a photo on their fb page'. Maybe one day people will start to converse with those around them like it used to be in the good old days, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 05:52 PM
    Just purchased a white Q10 on eBay. I'm back to black(berry) Need to sell my iPhone 5s!
    07-30-14 09:27 PM
79 ... 234