Wow. Now Facebook is taking the messaging out of the mobile apps:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/28/f...r-taking-over/

Means, if you wanna message someone you gotta download another app. I wonder if Facebook would have been so successfull if Zuckerberg would have done this from the start.

"Oh, cool. So Facebook is about keeping in touch with friends. Yay, cool. Oh, what? I can't message my buddy???"

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:51 AM
    It is interesting how many people see it as a desirable thing to step back from smartphones. I'm wondering why. Of course, it is becoming a problem when it is turning into an addiction or obsession. But in general, why should we make steps backwards? That makes no sense in my eyes.
    I guess, nobody wants to step backward.

The key to all that is to use a technology with a brain. This means to get a confidence about what you can do with this technology, what you want to do, what you should not do and many other questions. Ant then do the things you will probably have some benefit from. A smartphone can be a great tool for many tasks. It should save you time.

I guess, many people would be interested in wasting much less time, especially in social networks and on brainless video platforms. But the reason for this wasting is not the smartphone (or any other computer), the reason is a lack of self discipline, also a lack of self confidence (in the right meaning of this word). Many many people don't have a distinct self confidence. They don't know who they are, they try to be what other people try to be, what the common lifestyle and TV series and damned magazines call "cool" or "hip" or "in". But this is an individual or social problem, not one of a technology.
    ubizmo and rellyrellz like this.
    07-29-14 11:56 AM
    I have no answer to this.

I think it's what you make out of it. But what about the people in public transportion? As soon as they sit, they get out their Smartphones are into the "vortex". Or when you visit the family. They all are on their smartphones and don't talk to each other. Or at cafes with your friends.

It is an interesting thing these days. I learned and if I have any contact with my family, friends or wife, I leave the smartphone in my Holster and on the table. No interaction with it. I respect my beloved ones and they deserve the fullest attention.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it's definitely questionable where to put the border between a useful tool for entertainment or information, and addiction.
    However, if people wouldn't have their smartphones out in public transport, assuming they're alone, what would they do instead? Read a book or the newspaper? Or maybe just staring out of the window? I don't know. It's difficult to determine whether debating on CB10 or reading the news on a smartphone are really worse. I mean, there are a lot of good things to do on a smartphone too.

And as to the other point you brought up. That's definitely right and it's just a matter of good manners and character.
    07-29-14 12:04 PM

The key to all that is to use a technology with a brain. This means to get a confidence about what you can do with this technology, what you want to do, what you should not do and many other questions. Ant then do the things you will probably have some benefit from. A smartphone can be a great tool for many tasks. It should save you time.

I guess, many people would be interested in wasting much less time, especially in social networks and on brainless video platforms. But the reason for this wasting is not the smartphone (or any other computer), the reason is a lack of self discipline, also a lack of self confidence (in the right meaning of this word). Many many people don't have a distinct self confidence. They don't know who they are, they try to be what other people try to be, what the common lifestyle and TV series and damned magazines call "cool" or "hip" or "in". But this is an individual or social problem, not one of a technology.
    +1

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:06 PM
    It is an interesting thing these days. I learned and if I have any contact with my family, friends or wife, I leave the smartphone in my Holster and on the table. No interaction with it. I respect my beloved ones and they deserve the fullest attention.
    I know a full Apple-ized family, relatives. Each one of them has multiple white devices. If they invite us for supper it happens regularly that they sit around the table staring on their screens, the parents too! And me and my wife sit there and look into our eyes shrugging off the shoulders what to do now. I call this a new kind of social dilapidation. And it's also barefaced. And even their dead (80!) has adopted this behaviour because they gave him an iPad.
    07-29-14 12:06 PM

Good one. That's what I am also thinking. It's more about the way we use technology than anything else. With new possibilities arising, we are about to face new social problems. That's just the way it goes.

It is just like the paradigm of technology being supposed to make our lives easier but at the same time making people struggle to keep up with all the new stuff.
    07-29-14 12:11 PM
    Wow. Now Facebook is taking the messaging out of the mobile apps:

Facebook is about to make everyone use the standalone Messenger app

Means, if you wanna message someone you gotta download another app. I wonder if Facebook would have been so successfull if Zuckerberg would have done this from the start.
    And there is no FB Messenger app for BB10. I wonder if the messaging function of the native FB app will cease working. I would think so. I imagine Facebook will make it so the API no longer works. This means that BB10 people will need to use the Android app, without Hub integration or notifications (yet; maybe in 10.3). This will make it easier to disconnect from FB!

Maybe this deserves its own thread.
    07-29-14 12:12 PM
    Yeah, this is what I mean.

I have done it all, too. When the first iPhone came out I was the same. But since 3 years it changed. Smartphones became affordable and nearly everybody had a tablet now.

And on family gatherings, the same picture. I really don't use my phone. It is a question of manners and respect. But when I leave or am alone of course I check my phone.

It will be interesting how to handle this in the near future.

I guess the classy female actor would never do this. That's what I really love. People with manners and respect.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:13 PM
    And there is no FB Messenger app for BB10. I wonder if the messaging function of the native FB app will cease working. I would think so. I imagine Facebook will make it so the API no longer works. This means that BB10 people will need to use the Android app, without Hub integration or notifications (yet; maybe in 10.3). This will make it easier to disconnect from FB!

Maybe this deserves its own thread.
    The article says only ios, android and Windows. Not mentioned BlackBerry. Though the comments are also fun and interesting. Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:16 PM
    It is interesting how many people see it as a desirable thing to step back from smartphones. I'm wondering why. Of course, it is becoming a problem when it is turning into an addiction or obsession. But in general, why should we make steps backwards? That makes no sense in my eyes.
    Created the thread not about going backwards but to see if people who have blackberries/iPhones/android just have their smartphones but are not deeply caught in social networks and who just make calls/text/emails and browsing occasionally. But after some very interesting response I didn't really think about those who do maybe need social networks to keep in contact with family or work.

Sent from my iPhone soon to be Q10 using CB Forums
    07-29-14 01:38 PM

Even so, my students are constantly violating the policy. The telltale staring down at the lap gives them away. I have them leave for the duration of the class. I've discussed the issue with them, and many admit, to their own surprise, that they experience not just boredom but some level of anxiety if they are unable to check their phones for any length of time.
    I can understand this. I catch myself checking my phone for no apparent reason. There are times I do because maybe a situation is a bit awkward and use it break it lol. When I'm waiting at the barber or at work and it's slow I find myself checking the same things over and over. It's bad and trying to break it

07-29-14 01:41 PM
    But that's the answer. It's not backward to step back from something that's taking over your life.

This technology is new. We don't yet know the effects it has over a lifetime. But I think we know enough to say that it's very addictive. I don't think we know how many people are putting far more time into their online relationships than into their real lives. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned about.

I can only say that in my own life, the day came when I became concerned.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    m1kr0 likes this.
    07-29-14 03:00 PM
    I'd like to answer the OP but I'm too busy using my smartphone. Sorry.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-29-14 03:02 PM
    I'd like to answer the OP but I'm too busy using my smartphone. Sorry.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Not that busy to respond to the thread lol

07-29-14 03:56 PM
    Lulz

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 04:02 PM
    But that's the answer. It's not backward to step back from something that's taking over your life.

This technology is new. We don't yet know the effects it has over a lifetime. But I think we know enough to say that it's very addictive. I don't think we know how many people are putting far more time into their online relationships than into their real lives. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned about.

I can only say that in my own life, the day came when I became concerned.

What I was referring to, when calling it a step backwards, was basically the decision of not using a smartphone at all, not the decision to limit one's use of social media, or the decision not to use social media at all.
    Those are all different things. The use of a smartphone does not induce the use, and certainly not the excessive use of social media.

So what I think we should improve, is our ability not to forget about social rules, politeness and respect while having a powerful piece of technology in our pockets, which is connecting us to an enormous amount of information at almost any time. And certainly we shouldn't let this information control us, but we should make the best use of it.
    07-29-14 04:25 PM
    Can some of you gentlemen please post the video here of the classy female actor with her legacy BlackBerry ???

It states perfectly this thread here. I can't find it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 04:28 PM
    What I was referring to, when calling it a step backwards, was basically the decision of not using a smartphone at all, not the decision to limit one's use of social media, or the decision not to use social media at all.
    Those are all different things. The use of a smartphone does not induce the use, and certainly not the excessive use of social media.

So what I think we should improve, is our ability not to forget about social rules, politeness and respect while having a powerful piece of technology in our pockets, which is connecting us to an enormous amount of information at almost any time. And certainly we shouldn't let this information control us, but we should make the best use of it.
    No disagreement there. For me, a step backward is becoming more mindful and less compulsive and robotic about smartphone use. It means having fewer notifications, so the thing isn't constantly demanding my attention. More than anything, it means not feeling that any moment when there isn't something else I have to do is a moment for looking at my phone.

Politeness and respect deteriorate because we forget there are non-virtual people out there wanting to enjoy our company.

07-29-14 05:28 PM
    I just watched the video referenced by the OP: Hemlock Grove's Famke Janssen isn't a fan of tech or selfies but still digs her BlackBerry Curve | CrackBerry.com

I don't think I disagree with a single thing she said!

This discussion has been on my mind all day, and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it hits too close to home and I realize I spend WAY too much time in front of a screen every day. Maybe it's because I realize how easy it is to distract myself from things that I know I should be doing - things that are a much better use of my time and probably healthier for me.

Earlier this year, I conducted a little experiment. I decided to try using a BlackBerry Bold 9930 as my primary smartphone for 30 days. You can read about my experience here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0-days-921885/

At the end of the experiment, I went back to my Z30, citing the Bold's bad camera, poor app experience, lack of multi-calendar sync, and small screen among the reasons for leaving it.

Since then, I have tried a Q10, and currently have been trying a Lumia 822 for the past month. I actually like the Lumia better than my Z30 for many reasons (better native app selection, camera, replaceable battery, and other reasons). But I'm still not satisfied. I've been pretty certain that I just need to go back to an iPhone, thinking it is probably the closest all-around to my ideal smartphone. So I've decided to sell my Z30, and have also been trying to sell my Bold 9930.

Then I stumbled upon this thread. And I watched that video.

It's got me thinking: is there a way I can remove the immediate distractions of a smartphone (games, social media, etc.) without sacrificing the functionality and apps I do occasionally want or need in a mobile device (email, IM, etc.)?

Perhaps there is.

My Bold 9930 still has some good life left in it. It's still a very capable messaging and email device. And the keyboard/trackpad/touch screen is the best user interface I've ever used on a mobile device. As far as a communication tool, the 9930 would be more than adequate for my needs. I even have 2 charging pods for it, which makes it very easy to charge at home and work!

So why not go back to the Bold as my "phone", and supplement it with something like an iPod Touch or iPad Mini?

Here's my reasoning: the iPod/iPad would be an extra device that I would have to carry around in addition to my phone if I wanted to use them. I prefer to carry only one device on my person - my front right pants pocket is reserved for my phone - so the Bold 9930 would be it. I would not install any social media apps on my Bold - it would only be for SMS, IM, calls, and maybe some helpful apps like GPS nav.

So if I wanted to take my iPod/iPad along wherever I'm going, it would not be in my pocket - 2 devices in one pocket does NOT work well. The extra device would have to be in a bag. In addition, to even check social media apps or other distractions like Netflix on my iPod/iPad, I would require a WiFi connection. Free WiFi is becoming more ubiquitous, but still not something I could count on having wherever I am.

In short, I think such an arrangement would put up more barriers to the distractions whilst helping me to keep the essentials I need from a mobile phone.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback or thoughts on how such an arrangement would work. Am I overlooking something? Am I over-thinking things? Am I not going far enough?
    rellyrellz likes this.
    07-29-14 07:56 PM

I'd be interested to hear your feedback or thoughts on how such an arrangement would work. Am I overlooking something? Am I over-thinking things? Am I not going far enough?
    Go with what you like. I did this thread just to see if there were people out there that may have a smartphone but did not have tons of apps. Who may just use their phone for the basic call/text/email & browsing. It has brought to light about people who are conscious of themselves being addicted to say social media or checking their phone repeatedly out of habit. I too have thought about taking a step back to a 9900 but even in the minimal of uses, the browser just doesn't cut it. I love the 9900 too. But I think a person can take a step back in self evaluation and say I'm in my phone to much or why am I constantly my phone knowing I don't have a new message/email/alert. If someone feels they need to set back to a older phone and it works for them, then that's good. Not everyone has to do that.

I plan on coming back to Blackberry to the Q10 until the Passport is released. I will also have a iPod touch just for music and my nike plus running app. I don't think it's a step back. Only social network I'll have is twitter on the BB. I think I'll put Instagram on the touch and just use it til the end of the year. 2015 I will be done with Instagram. I'm ok with having two devices. One for messaging and the other for music ( I still use itunes and I like it so I prefer that). Just my two cents

Btw didn't proof read it all so don't kill me lol
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    07-29-14 08:24 PM
    I agree with Famke Janssen on this one.

TV is a godawful waste of time. I haven't had a TV set for 7 years. Don't even have a Netflix account and not looking forward to getting one.

There are times when I wish I didn't have a FB account either, but I do have one that I update from time to time.

Regarding devices, I have a Q10 which I use a lot and an iPad that I use very sparingly and never carry around with me.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 08:48 PM
    I don't have FB, Twitter, Linkedin...any social accounts whatsoever. In addition, no TV. What I do have is a Macbook with Netflix, and that gets tons of use.

But this summer I'm working/living in another city, and all I brought is a Q10. I'm 8 weeks in, and have to say it's working well. With an HDMI cable and a TV, I can watch my Netflix, and for email, etc. the phone is unbeatable. So it is doable.
    07-29-14 08:51 PM
    I've done it! I'm back on the 9930!

I have an old 3rd gen iPod Touch that I will try to use to supplement. If it works well, I may upgrade to a latest gen iPod Touch or iPad Mini.

I didn't realize how much I missed this physical keyboard. Wow.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    ubizmo and rellyrellz like this.
    07-30-14 08:15 AM
    I've done it! I'm back on the 9930!

I have an old 3rd gen iPod Touch that I will try to use to supplement. If it works well, I may upgrade to a latest gen iPod Touch or iPad Mini.

I didn't realize how much I missed this physical keyboard. Wow.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    I just ordered a iPod touch 5th gen this morning. Just looking to get my hands on a att q10

07-30-14 09:05 AM
    Very interesting thread.

I too am of the opinion that the technology should work for me and not the other way round. To that extent I have no social media accounts bar a mobile nations account. I rely on calls, sms and emails. My various phones are usually on vibrate and I check them when I feel like. If its a call from family, well it's going to ring loud etc. Anyone else: Tough.

But then I have this luxury as I'm retired. I have investments and a number of companies that run themselves - and I'll be called if it is serious, otherwise I don't want to know. Television, well maybe if I want to watch the news or I'm seriously bored. Internet, well I day trade when interested, and have a morning routine of keeping up to date with the news.

I'm constantly surprised, and perturbed, by how much tech has invaded life. People need to be connected and their identities are enmeshed and synonymous with their digital selves.

I'm certainly no Luddite - indeed I make money from tech - but this sycophantic loyalty to objects, tech, companies... Humanity is a herd animal. This is just another facet of that fact. Guess I'd rather be an alien lol

Sent using tapatalk!
    rellyrellz and anon(6038817) like this.
    07-30-14 09:43 AM
79 1234