Business look at your fb pages now days to see what you are posting. If it's harmful to the reputation of the company, that can be a ding against you. Not being engaged on social media now as you can see can be bad too. Make a fake page and use that next time
    07-28-14 09:46 AM
    Oh to answer the topic, I have to have a social media account, I manage my church�s social media. Netflix over cable for entertainment.
    07-28-14 09:48 AM
    I'm gonna be honest here. It is unthinkable for me to have a phone without extensive internet capacities.

I don't always have a notebook with me but I often need to look things up, make a reservation, place an order, google something, contact someone on facebook, linkedin, e-mail - you name it. Besides that, I like to have access to my online stored pictures or other stuff constantly.

So, having a dumb phone is possible, but the amount of people using one is rapidly on the decline and it is definitely not contemporary.

We're living in the year of 2014 and things are just developing like that. Everything else is a denial of the present and sometimes pure nostalgia.

I do understand that someone might choose this way of life, but I definitely wouldn't.

I feel to respectfully remind you of your position of privilege. Not everyone gets to share your sense of 'presence'.

Some lives demand high tech, some not so much. If we look further most of the worlds population could care less about google or fb or where to go for sushi on the east side.

Its sad our lives seem to be judged by our ability to manage social media. There is so much more to people and the world in general - both good and bad.

just some thoughts on a monday morning
    riss89, rellyrellz, m1kr0 and 1 others like this.
    07-28-14 11:05 AM
    I don't use any social media apps. I have a anonymous fb account for reading up on news or services from places I do business with but other than that no fb for me. All that other stuff like twitter I don't care about or use. I use email and text and bbm and I really use the browser to look things up a lot. My worst addiction is TV. I'd have a hard time giving that up. I'd get a lot more done if I did though . My smartphone has saved my bacon a few times in reference to my job too. Every now and then I run into a drug I'm not familiar with that isn't in any of the references we carry on the trucks. Fortunately I can find them on my phone. Sometimes it's handy for pill id when someone tries to take a few too many and there isn't a bottle around.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by medic22003; 07-29-14 at 08:48 AM.
    07-28-14 11:20 AM
    Interesting thread. I'll be 61 soon. My first mobile phone was a smartphone, the Danger SideKick. I never had a flip phone; obviously I delayed getting a mobile phone for quite a while.

When I first got the SideKick, I was utterly addicted to it, "checking" it for emails and fiddling with it. At that time, 2003 or so, it was unusual to see a smartphone zombie, i.e., someone out walking around but with eyes glued to a handheld device. But I was a pioneer zombie. I switched to a Curve in 2007 and it was still fairly unusual to see this, but I was doing it. Between then and now, however, things have changed.

Now smartphone zombies are everywhere, and seeing them has altered my perception of myself. It's been an awakening. For the last couple of years I've become far less likely to take the phone out of my pocket just to "check" it. I made a conscious choice to leave it alone unless there's something specific I need to get done. If I'm waiting in line somewhere, instead of taking out the phone, I look around, observe the world and people around me, maybe strike up a conversation. I don't regard every period of temporary inactivity as a reason to do something on my phone.

When I sold my S4 and got the Q10, this decision not to be a zombie had something to do with it. The Q10's smaller screen is not as much of an attention magnet. I wonder if I'll backslide when I get the Passport.

I have a Facebook account but I almost never go on there to see what anyone's doing. Maybe once or twice a month; that's all. I have a few friends who prefer to contact me via FB messenger, so that's my main use for it. I seldom check Twitter for anything. I have a LinkedIn account but it's really a pointless thing for me. I don't open it to check on anything; I should probably just delete it. I have some friends, not to mention a sister, with whom I communicate regularly by email. I do more of that than FB messaging and BBM combined, by a long shot.

But I wouldn't be satisfied with just a phone, because when I want to use data features, I really appreciate having them. Just being able to look things up and being able to navigate are important smartphone features. Having calendars and contacts that sync with cloud accounts isn't something I'd walk away from.

As for TV, I'd drop it in a minute if my wife didn't have such a serious CNN addiction. I rarely watch anything.
    rellyrellz, JeepBB and raino like this.
    07-28-14 11:39 AM
    i have a bold 9900 and have no Facebook/Twitter etc apps, i only use texts/E mails and calls, my only app is Tunein Radio as i come from a Radio generation, and internet radio is brilliant i listen on the move, there is a TV/DVD at home and it's only used when family visits can't be anti social, and have a Playbook for the internet, i visit Crackberry daily to keep up to date and waiting for the Classic to arrive hopefully to replace my Bold,
    so it's a phone and Tablet for me and can put them aside for my Books anytime,
    rellyrellz likes this.
    07-28-14 12:46 PM
    Very interesting replies. I find myself constantly checking my phone if I'm inline or just sitting waiting some where. Such a habit now. I wonder if getting a passport and just using as a phone/text/ email with occasional web browsing when I need to look something with that screen. Another factor about this thread for me is the want(not need) wanna switch to the next and best phone. I'm satisfied with a phone after awhile and can be costly. I wanna make the passport my last phone for a few years. I have my head into my phone for an reason. I understand some of you who use social networks for work or family and that's perfect. In my case I don't so it's just a time waster.

Sent from my iPhone soon to be Q10 using CB Forums
    07-28-14 02:25 PM
    Lol.

Just deleted my whatsup account, too.

Fun r�actions today at the family. "Forever??" "yes..forever"

Yo me just classic: email/csll/SMS and BBM. Plain and simple. Also I deleted many apps I rarely or never used. I only use what fits me best.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 06:28 PM
    I feel to respectfully remind you of your position of privilege. Not everyone gets to share your sense of 'presence'.

Some lives demand high tech, some not so much. If we look further most of the worlds population could care less about google or fb or where to go for sushi on the east side.

Its sad our lives seem to be judged by our ability to manage social media. There is so much more to people and the world in general - both good and bad.

just some thoughts on a monday morning
    You are of course right, but as far as I have understood this thread, it is about voluntarily giving up the current state of high-tech demand, which is (in central Europe, where I live) almost impossible, and as I come from the IT business, rather unacceptable.

Certainly, that can be an entirely different story in some other parts of the world, but this is mainly because the technology is not available or affordable to the general public there.

Here it would definitely be against the trend and sort of a lifestyle decision, like not having a TV, as OP has brought up exemplary. Even in emerging countries the use of smartphones is constantly on the rise.

I honestly don't see a point for myself in not using a smartphone, and even a 9900 wouldn't be enough anymore, since the bar just has been raised a lot since it came out.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-29-14 01:47 AM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 01:49 AM
    As part of my budget, I went through every single expenditure and said 'do I truly need this?'. That's when I turned off my cable and home phone. I recently got netflicks for the kids but I just sign out a movie every few weeks from the library for myself. There are prob about 50 family/friends on Facebook that I want to keep up to date with, and I loaded instagram and whatsapp just to show my Doubting Thomas kids that BlackBerry does in fact have apps, but don't use them. I check twitter a few times a week while commuting if I get bored on the train, but Crackberry is my social media of choice. Everything in moderation!

Posted via CB10
    rellyrellz likes this.
    07-29-14 05:41 AM
    I just reactivated my Bold 9000 two weeks ago and ditched my Z10 into a drawer. But because of the bad browser I didn't come far....only 24 hrs. Thinking about giving it another chance and quit FB and WhatsApp right now...because speaking of PHONES the 9000 was better anyway.
    07-29-14 05:41 AM
    I started doing that a while back. Deleted my fb account and living fb-free for more than a month now. I sold my GPAD tablet and my ipod. Just keeping my laptop and my Blackberry Q10. As for apps, I just keep instagram for the pix (I use it as a viewer and fashion/design/photography inspiration, like a magazine if I can say so). And twitter as my news portal (deleted all my newspapers/newsapps and just followed them on twitter). And a myfitnesspal for fitness. And that's pretty much about it.

Powered by Blackberry
    07-29-14 06:03 AM
    In the last years I find myself more and more interested in "old things". For three years now I wear only mechanical watches. All my quartz watches lie dead in the locker. Meanwhile I have a little collection of mechanical watches, hand winding or automatic, two of them are more than 100 years old.

I also love slide rules. I learned at school how to use them and I have also a collection of six or seven, bigger and smoller ones.

About four years ago I bought a DR49. Does anyone know? A famous Panasonic world receiver (see here for details) built in the early 80s and sold at that time for more than 1000 dollars. I love the short wave but the number of stations drops from year to year.

I would say these old items have much more soul than all our digital stuff.

But I would never change my Z30 )
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    07-29-14 06:20 AM
    In the last years I find myself more and more interested in "old things". For three years now I wear only mechanical watches. All my quartz watches lie dead in the locker. Meanwhile I have a little collection of mechanical watches, hand winding or automatic, two of them are more than 100 years old.

I also love slide rules. I learned at school how to use them and I have also a collection of six or seven, bigger and smoller ones.

About four years ago I bought a DR49. Does anyone know? A famous Panasonic world receiver (see here for details) built in the early 80s and sold at that time for more than 1000 dollars. I love the short wave but the number of stations drops from year to year.

I understand and totally agree with you!

Powered by Blackberry
    07-29-14 06:23 AM
    Very inspiring replies here. Respect.

I find it very cool to control myself. To say no about certain trends. Fb is a time waster. A stalking tool. You lose the sense if time.

I remember when Crackberry introduced a new guy called Jizz Guy. He wrote good articles. But he also isn't on any social media or whatsapp. Just hus BlackBerry. The r�actions were classy at the comments.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 06:26 AM
    Fb is a time waster. A stalking tool. You lose the sense if time.
    Because "time" is a synonym for "space" you lose also the sense of space. If you are a hard core FB user you don't know where you are, it doesn't matter anymore, you and all your "friends" live in an own world. I see this at the children of some friends, teenagers, they are there but they are absent, a new kind of zombies.
    07-29-14 06:51 AM
    I'll add this: I teach in a university. I have a strict "no phones" policy during my classes. I do this not just to be a d!ck but because if I didn't do it, I'd lose them all within minutes. Yes, I'm aware that back in the Olde Days we could and did stick a magazine in a notebook and read that in class instead of paying attention. But these screens are more powerful attention magnets than any magazine ever was. I'd say it borders on a compulsion to be "checking" them all the time. And again, I say this as a recovering addict myself. I've had to make a conscious decision to keep the phone in my pocket, and I have to renew that decision on a regular basis.

Even so, my students are constantly violating the policy. The telltale staring down at the lap gives them away. I have them leave for the duration of the class. I've discussed the issue with them, and many admit, to their own surprise, that they experience not just boredom but some level of anxiety if they are unable to check their phones for any length of time.

My daughter, 30 years old, is the only person in her own social circle who doesn't have a smartphone. She just has a cheapo keyboard "texting phone," with a very limited texting bundle, so she doesn't text very often. If she's out somewhere and needs navigation directions, she has a simple solution: She calls me and I get the directions on my phone! (BeMaps Pro) I think, however, that she'll probably join the smartphone herd soon. Her resistance is faltering.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 07-29-14 at 09:01 AM.
    anon(6038817) and rellyrellz like this.
    07-29-14 07:07 AM
    Couldn't a LinkedIn account be more beneficial then a Facebook account? That's crazy you don't have a Facebook and that be a bad look instead of the other way around

Sent from my iPhone soon to be Q10 using CB Forums
    I did have one but had not updated it in a while lol now I update it almost everyday.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 07-30-14 at 02:17 AM.
    07-29-14 07:45 AM

I do also have a great automatic watch. No battery or hype brands which have nothing to do with watches like Diesel or Prada, etc. It is a fine watch and I will never wear an iTime or hipster electric watch.

The radio thang sounds classy too. I usually listen to internet radio which is a blessing since 2005: Jazz, Classic, Rock, etc. Your radio has indeed a soul. Reminds me of something like the "everyday carry" website:

Everyday Carry is EDC

It is a blog where men post their everyday carry: portmonnaie, mobile, pen, watch, etc. Tools you need to improve your day with interesting tipps. Things hipsters nowadays can't understand. There are nice collections.
    rellyrellz and muellerto like this.
    07-29-14 08:39 AM
    Great thread, and great comments!

I have always had a soft spot for all things "retro" or "classic". I am also a child of the 80s, so I remember learning to use a mouse on an Apple IIGS, looking for a payphone to call home when I was out with friends, and recording movies off TV with a VCR. I remember Saturday morning cartoons - Transformers, and G.I. Joe, and He-Man, and Thundercats. I remember getting my first Walkman (it wasn't actually a Walkman, it was a cheap Emerson knock-off) that also had an AM/FM radio tuner. I only had 2 cassette tapes to begin with and I practically wore them out. I remember later getting my first CD player and going to the CD store often. I still have my CD collection, but haven't actually bought a CD in years.

And I remember being outside a lot more and interacting with people a lot more back then.

But I am also deeply fascinated with and interested in new technology and gadgets. I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I often just look at my smartphone and marvel that the technology I dreamed of having when I watched that show is now reality. I have a friggin' computer in my pocket! In the palm of my hand, I am holding more computing power than was used to put man on the moon!!

These two sides of me - the retro vs the techie - are in constant conflict, but the techie usually wins out.

In the past, I have completely deleted my FB account and stuck with email and SMS, but I eventually created a new FB account because that seems to be the only way that many of my family and dear friends want to communicate these days and I very much want to keep in touch with them.

I also briefly flirted with ditching a smartphone for a feature phone. I used a Pantech Caper for a while. It's a feature phone with a BlackBerry-like physical keyboard (it's actually nothing like a BB keyboard - nothing is - but at first glance it could be mistaken for a BlackBerry phone). I actually quite liked that phone. And I forgot what it was like to go 3 days on a single battery charge.

But today I have a smartphone, a FB account, and am generally on social media and the internet quite a bit each day.

I still occasionally entertain the idea of deleting my social media accounts and getting a phone that has basic email and SMS capabilities. I'd still have my work laptop and home computer when I need the internet or have other computer-related needs.

But then I think about those times I've been out and needed directions to a place. I bust out the smartphone and open a GPS nav app.

I think about those times I'd have to wait until I got home to check my email or answering machine for important messages I was expecting. Now the computer in my pocket alerts me and I'm able to check instantaneously.

I think of the times I was curious about a certain topic, or which actors starred in a certain movie, or a new book I've heard about, or countless other situations. Back in the day, I'd have to write down the topic so I wouldn't forget. Then I'd have to dust off the 30-year-old set of family encyclopedias in my home library, or take the time to go the public library and try to find books on the subject, or ask family and friends if they knew anything about it. Today, I bust out the smartphone, use my favorite search engine, and the knowledge of the world is at my fingertips. How incredibly amazing is that?!

As far as television, we cut the cable years ago. We have a Roku and between that and physical media like DVDs/Blu-ray, we're doing just fine. It gives us more control over the content we watch, and the TV is never just on in the background as white noise. My 7-year-old son has grown up knowing nothing else. We hooked up an antenna to our TV to watch the Olympics earlier this year (because there was no other legitimate way to view them online in the US) and my son was constantly frustrated that they would keep interrupting the coverage. I had to explain to him that these interruptions were called "commercials". After the Olympics were over, we took down the antenna and it's now in a drawer - probably until the next Olympics.

I think it's healthy to disconnect from things for a while. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so permanently. Many jobs require that you have some kind of smartphone or internet-connected device. And as stated before, to get certain jobs, you almost have to have a social media account with some history on it so they can review that in addition to your resume.

It's not impossible for many to ditch their smartphone, get rid of the TV, and delete all their social media accounts. I greatly admire folks who have the willpower and desire to do so. But for most people - especially those who work in a tech-related field - it really is nearly impossible.

This thread, however, has inspired me to take a step back and reevaluate the social media and tech I use. I'm sure there are some areas where I can cut back!
    rellyrellz likes this.
    07-29-14 10:09 AM
    Great thread, and great comments!

I have always had a soft spot for all things "retro" or "classic". I am also a child of the 80s, so I remember learning to use a mouse on an Apple IIGS, looking for a payphone to call home when I was out with friends, and recording movies off TV with a VCR. I remember Saturday morning cartoons - Transformers, and G.I. Joe, and He-Man, and Thundercats. I remember getting my first Walkman (it wasn't actually a Walkman, it was a cheap Emerson knock-off) that also had an AM/FM radio tuner. I only had 2 cassette tapes to begin with and I practically wore them out. I remember later getting my first CD player and going to the CD store often. I still have my CD collection, but haven't actually bought a CD in years.

And I remember being outside a lot more and interacting with people a lot more back then.

But I am also deeply fascinated with and interested in new technology and gadgets. I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I often just look at my smartphone and marvel that the technology I dreamed of having when I watched that show is now reality. I have a friggin' computer in my pocket! In the palm of my hand, I am holding more computing power than was used to put man on the moon!!

These two sides of me - the retro vs the techie - are in constant conflict, but the techie usually wins out.

In the past, I have completely deleted my FB account and stuck with email and SMS, but I eventually created a new FB account because that seems to be the only way that many of my family and dear friends want to communicate these days and I very much want to keep in touch with them.

I also briefly flirted with ditching a smartphone for a feature phone. I used a Pantech Caper for a while. It's a feature phone with a BlackBerry-like physical keyboard (it's actually nothing like a BB keyboard - nothing is - but at first glance it could be mistaken for a BlackBerry phone). I actually quite liked that phone. And I forgot what it was like to go 3 days on a single battery charge.

But today I have a smartphone, a FB account, and am generally on social media and the internet quite a bit each day.

I still occasionally entertain the idea of deleting my social media accounts and getting a phone that has basic email and SMS capabilities. I'd still have my work laptop and home computer when I need the internet or have other computer-related needs.

But then I think about those times I've been out and needed directions to a place. I bust out the smartphone and open a GPS nav app.

I think about those times I'd have to wait until I got home to check my email or answering machine for important messages I was expecting. Now the computer in my pocket alerts me and I'm able to check instantaneously.

I think of the times I was curious about a certain topic, or which actors starred in a certain movie, or a new book I've heard about, or countless other situations. Back in the day, I'd have to write down the topic so I wouldn't forget. Then I'd have to dust off the 30-year-old set of family encyclopedias in my home library, or take the time to go the public library and try to find books on the subject, or ask family and friends if they knew anything about it. Today, I bust out the smartphone, use my favorite search engine, and the knowledge of the world is at my fingertips. How incredibly amazing is that?!

As far as television, we cut the cable years ago. We have a Roku and between that and physical media like DVDs/Blu-ray, we're doing just fine. It gives us more control over the content we watch, and the TV is never just on in the background as white noise. My 7-year-old son has grown up knowing nothing else. We hooked up an antenna to our TV to watch the Olympics earlier this year (because there was no other legitimate way to view them online in the US) and my son was constantly frustrated that they would keep interrupting the coverage. I had to explain to him that these interruptions were called "commercials". After the Olympics were over, we took down the antenna and it's now in a drawer - probably until the next Olympics.

I think it's healthy to disconnect from things for a while. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so permanently. Many jobs require that you have some kind of smartphone or internet-connected device. And as stated before, to get certain jobs, you almost have to have a social media account with some history on it so they can review that in addition to your resume.

It's not impossible for many to ditch their smartphone, get rid of the TV, and delete all their social media accounts. I greatly admire folks who have the willpower and desire to do so. But for most people - especially those who work in a tech-related field - it really is nearly impossible.

This thread, however, has inspired me to take a step back and reevaluate the social media and tech I use. I'm sure there are some areas where I can cut back!
    Great great response.

I also could not live without a smartphone. It is our Swiss knife if today. GPS, email, information in a glance, etc. No, Smartphone is a must for me.

I am just talking about cutting off the social media addiction. Many hide under the shield "I need that for work". Lol. Yeah right. Funny when many junkies, whether it is alcoholics or smokers, have always a reason to continue.

And what you mean by many employers see your Facebook history? WTF is that??? Why you let empowers let watch your FB page? Why are people doing that? Why not giving them also your passport for your email? That would be so cool and awesome. Or the bank account PIN?

Anyway. Each to their own. I can understand people who uses Facebook and those who not.

I am just someone who don't wanna get addicted to things. I have chosen not being a slave or run after trends like a sheep. I try stuff. And when it fits my needs I am on it. If not, I decide to quit. Period. I am my own creator of my life. That makes me unique. Lol.

But great Answer here. Reminded me also of the good things in the past.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    07-29-14 10:52 AM
    It is interesting how many people see it as a desirable thing to step back from smartphones. I'm wondering why. Of course, it is becoming a problem when it is turning into an addiction or obsession. But in general, why should we make steps backwards? That makes no sense in my eyes.
    07-29-14 11:06 AM
    It is interesting how many people see it as a desirable thing to step back from smartphones. I'm wondering why. Of course, it is becoming a problem when it is turning into an addiction or obsession. But in general, why should we make steps backwards? That makes no sense in my eyes.
    I have no answer to this.

I think it's what you make out of it. But what about the people in public transportion? As soon as they sit, they get out their Smartphones are into the "vortex". Or when you visit the family. They all are on their smartphones and don't talk to each other. Or at cafes with your friends.

It is an interesting thing these days. I learned and if I have any contact with my family, friends or wife, I leave the smartphone in my Holster and on the table. No interaction with it. I respect my beloved ones and they deserve the fullest attention.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:16 AM
    If I could I'd go back to a Motorola StarTac

Caribbean Z30
    07-29-14 11:43 AM
79 1234