The FCC requires every cell phone on the market to be tested for SAR levels at the ear AND against the body (like in a pocket). The SAR levels at the ear are all under the 1.6 FCC safety limit. The problem is regarding the SAR testing which is supposed to be for when the phone is held against the body, like in a pocket. The FCC allows RIM and other manufacturers to test their devices held 1" away from the body in a holster so they can pass the 1.6 SAR test. That's why the FCC requires them to warn users to never carry the phone in the pocket 'CAUSE IF YOU DO THE SAR LEVEL WILL BE HIGHER THAN THE LEGAL LIMIT OF 1.6.

Now, all you radiation deniers....bring on the tin foil jokes. You can't laugh away the truth: the cell phone industry knows that we all carry our phones in our pockets, but they continue to test their phones held in a holster 1" from the body in order to pass the 1.6 SAR limit. They know that if they test their phones directly against the body, many would fail the test. Most BlackBerry devices' SAR rating are the highest allowed WHEN TESTED IN A HOLSTER!! And, those are the values we see on the radiation charts. No one knows how high the radiation is when the phone is held directly against the body during a call!!

The CTIA, RIM - the entire cell phone industry knows we're all being exposed to radiation that exceeds the legal safety limit when we carry a cell phone around in our pocket.....and they just continue to rake in their profits. The Office of Engineering and Technology at the FCC knows all about their dirty little secret, and it's all cool. Conspiracy theory to ridicule... or could this be a serious allegation???

Instead of responding with your sarcastic replies, why don't you check out the facts?? I challenge you to prove me wrong.
    01-31-10 04:47 PM
    Wow this is scary ; how else are we meant to carry our phones around ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 04:51 PM
    is it wrong for me to say who cares? because I dont if you dont want to use a blackberry dont i wont stop you
    01-31-10 04:52 PM
    I'm gonna stop carrying my BB in my pocket + limit the usage of my laptop and any wireless product for that matter ; I value my health too much !

01-31-10 04:59 PM
    is it wrong for me to say who cares? because I dont if you dont want to use a blackberry dont i wont stop you
    I was just about to post the same thing. I've had a cellphone for 8 years now, and I'm fine.

But this would explain what the doctor meant by 'you're shooting blanks'...

No but seriously. Check your tap water for fluoride, people.
    01-31-10 05:00 PM
    Got any of that stuff you smoking for sale???
    01-31-10 05:10 PM
    I don't care. That is all.
    01-31-10 05:11 PM
    If radiation from my blackberry is my biggest concern as a person, I think I'd have many more problems than just the blackberry that I wasn't coming to terms with...
    01-31-10 05:17 PM
    There is a difference between radio waves and ionizing radiation like an x-ray. Some folks understand that, others, not so much.
    01-31-10 05:43 PM
    Lol...might as well go amish if you're that concerned...
    01-31-10 05:45 PM
    There is a difference between radio waves and ionizing radiation like an x-ray. Some folks understand that, others, not so much.
    I guess that I fall into the latter category. Would you mind expanding? I am interested since I occasionally keep my Berry in my pocket.

01-31-10 05:48 PM

Based on the experimental work of Faraday and other physicists, James Clerk Maxwell in 1864 developed the theory of electromagnetism that predicted the existence of electromagnetic waves. ...
    Radio has been part of our lives since the late 19 century. Since then, we have been bathed in Radio waves. Radio cover the lower portion of the Electromagnetic frequencies.

At worst, the ones we call microwaves will induce heating in material like flesh or organs.

At some point, the energy contained in EM radiation is enough to matter:

Ionizing radiation consists of subatomic particles or electromagnetic waves that are energetic enough to detach electrons from atoms or molecules, ionizing them. The occurrence of ionization depends on the energy of the impinging individual particles or waves, and not on their number. An intense flood of particles or waves will not cause ionization if these particles or waves do not carry enough energy to be ionizing. Roughly speaking, particles or photons with energies above a few electron volts (eV) are ionizing.

In short, radio waves have not been demonstrated to cause harm. Light does not cause harm. Ultra violet light is capable of ionization and so are X-Rays.

OP's point is, testing being done an inch away, some may worry about being closer.
    01-31-10 06:03 PM
    The way I understand it is that cells emit microwave radiation.

01-31-10 06:09 PM
    Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-band 800/1900 MHz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    Radio is measured in KHz and MHz. Microwaves are GHz, a thousand times higher wavelength, but still in the Radio spectrum.

Wifi and Bluetooth both use 2.4 GHz microwave, they work best at short range.
    01-31-10 06:23 PM
    The way I understand it is that cells emit microwave radiation.

No, they don't.

For the most part a BB doesn't transmit when it's passive, only infrequently. Transmission is what you are really talking about when it comes to radiation. If the phone is in an active call state then yes, there's a lot of EM radiation but for the most part when there's no call then there's nothing.

Also, who really cares anyhow? Do you have any idea the amount of radio waves that hit us constantly? At my workplace we have monitors for this kind of thing as we do testing for EM interference. Let me tell you, a cell phone is nothing compared to how much you are being saturated right now while sitting doing nothing. There's radiation waves all around you, get used to it.
    01-31-10 06:23 PM
    The frequency range of your particular cell phone is not the relevant issue here. The point is that the FCC, by federal law, REQUIRES every cell phone manufacturer to test their phone for the amount of heat generated in tissues and body parts with the phone held against the body during a short call. That limit can't exceed 1.6 (SAR).

The fact is this. As smartphones become more powerful, they can't achieve the 1.6 limit, so the cell phone industry has successfully lobbied and convinced the FCC to allow them to test their phones held 1 inch away from the testing body. In exchange, they're supposed to warn the user to never carry the phone in the pocket or anyplace that's closer than 1 inch away (during a call or when receiving calls or texts).

And manufacturers are not doing this!!!! The CTIA is aware of this, and is doing nothing about it - knowing that cell phone users naively carry their phones around all day receiving calls and texts and engage in long-winded calls (using an earpiece) with the radio transmitter of their phone directly against their body.

No one knows the level of radio frequency emissions we're all being exposed to with the phone in our pocket because the manufacturers aren't required to test their phones closer than the 1 inch distance.

Engineers will verify the fact that emissions increase greatly as you move from 1 inch to directly against the body.

I'm attempting to expose the cell phone industry's deception in the hope they'll do the right thing and either test their products directly against the body to prove they meet the 1.6 SAR safety limit - or properly warn consumers to never carry their phones in their pockets.

Also, I'm attempting to expose the FCC's deception in betraying US consumer's trust by colluding with the cell phone industry to ensure larger profits.
    02-02-10 02:03 PM
    And if they were to try to meet the 1.6 SAR against the body, you'd be crapping against the lousy range and reception.

Fact is, the test is done at 1", is advertised as being done at 1".
    02-02-10 03:45 PM
    is it wrong for me to say who cares? Because i dont if you dont want to use a blackberry dont i wont stop you
    again i would like to second this.

If your that worried about it, get rid of your cellphone.
    02-02-10 03:55 PM
    Got any of that stuff you smoking for sale???
    lol.
    02-02-10 10:33 PM
    I'm attempting to expose the cell phone industry's deception in the hope they'll do the right thing and either test their products directly against the body to prove they meet the 1.6 SAR safety limit - or properly warn consumers to never carry their phones in their pockets.

Also, I'm attempting to expose the FCC's deception in betraying US consumer's trust by colluding with the cell phone industry to ensure larger profits.
    Go Greenpeace, whoo! Rage against the machine! Fight the powers that be!
    02-03-10 12:18 AM
    So what this amounts to is an entire industry lobbying and using their financial resources to deceive the public? Doesn't surprise me, and its shameful. The exact thing has been going on forever though

02-03-10 09:54 AM
    The frequency range of your particular cell phone is not the relevant issue here. The point is that the FCC, by federal law, REQUIRES every cell phone manufacturer to test their phone for the amount of heat generated in tissues and body parts with the phone held against the body during a short call. That limit can't exceed 1.6 (SAR).

The fact is this. As smartphones become more powerful, they can't achieve the 1.6 limit, so the cell phone industry has successfully lobbied and convinced the FCC to allow them to test their phones held 1 inch away from the testing body. In exchange, they're supposed to warn the user to never carry the phone in the pocket or anyplace that's closer than 1 inch away (during a call or when receiving calls or texts).

And manufacturers are not doing this!!!! The CTIA is aware of this, and is doing nothing about it - knowing that cell phone users naively carry their phones around all day receiving calls and texts and engage in long-winded calls (using an earpiece) with the radio transmitter of their phone directly against their body.

No one knows the level of radio frequency emissions we're all being exposed to with the phone in our pocket because the manufacturers aren't required to test their phones closer than the 1 inch distance.

Engineers will verify the fact that emissions increase greatly as you move from 1 inch to directly against the body.

Make sure the phone is tested while you aren't on a call, that makes all the difference. The levels are minimal when no phone call is being made.

To test it with the radio's fully on while it's in the pocket is totally bogus, I would never make a call and put it in my pocket.
    02-03-10 12:44 PM

cigarettes harm your heart/ lungs/ and larynx
    beer harms your heart/ liver/ kidneys/ and brain
    fatty foods harm your heart/ lungs/ kidneys/ liver/ GI track/ muscles/ bones/ joints/ and ever aspect of your body

and the FDA knows this and still allows you to smoke a cigarette in your car to Wendy's order a triple cheese burger with bacon, drive home eat the burger and drink a beer .....

do you really think Americans care about SARS.

02-03-10 01:18 PM
    cigarettes harm your heart/ lungs/ and larynx
    beer harms your heart/ liver/ kidneys/ and brain
    fatty foods harm your heart/ lungs/ kidneys/ liver/ GI track/ muscles/ bones/ joints/ and ever aspect of your body

and the FDA knows this and still allows you to smoke a cigarette in your car to Wendy's order a triple cheese burger with bacon, drive home eat the burger and drink a beer .....

do you really think Americans care about SARS.

I find all this stuff just paranoid ramblings anyhow. Like the people who say they're allergic to the signals in the air. Everyone is afraid of something I guess.
    02-03-10 02:09 PM

I would never make a call and put it in my pocket.

Unfortunately, lots of people DO make calls (using an earpiece) with the cell in their pocket and think it's perfectly safe to do so. Also, check out the "hit" of radiation that is emitted when a text is received with a cell in your pants. My 18 year old daughter and her friends receive thousands of texts each month with their cells in their jeans' pockets. They think I'm crazy when I tell them there's a safety warning to not carry a cell phone in the pocket. Who reads the fine print in the user manual anyway? (Or, downloads a .pdf file off the CD to read the warning as in the case with all BlackBerrys??)

Just saw on the FCC website that they posted a "suggestion" in Novemeber to never carry a cell phone in the pocket or wear "belted" on the waist. Bet RIM and the CTIA are not too happy about that!!

BTW - yep. Cell phones that use 1900 Hz frequency do indeed emit radiation in the microwave range. SAR is a measurement of how intensely human tissue is heated during a call.
    02-04-10 07:53 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD