I just noticed this in carphone warehouse in UK, they copy apple and it seems blackberry too, at first look I thought this was a 9700. What do you think?
    10-21-11 09:39 AM
    ahhh....disgusting...those people of samsung, LGs and their like have no shame...
    10-21-11 10:11 AM
    There's not really much to play with if you're designing a phone with a small form factor and qwerty keyboard. This doesn't look like a 9700 to me at all, though. The bezel goes all the way around, for example. But this certainy isn't the first phone to look like a blackberry. I always thought certain Nokias, Samsung Blackjack, HTC Dash (I think that was the model), etc are pretty blackberry-esque.
    elvin1983 likes this.
    10-21-11 10:18 AM
    LG and Samsung are the only two mainstream manufacturers (thanks to Android) that get away with leeching from other companies such as BlackBerry to make devices that hardly anyone buys, oh, and ZTE!
    10-21-11 11:02 AM
    Samsung has been copying ever since I can remember. They make billions off it. Thats the main reason I would never buy SGS2, They couldn't get there on their own.
    10-21-11 11:26 AM
    Samsung is always copying designs. It's been like that for a while. Some of their wall chargers look exactly like the Apple one. Samsung just makes nice screens and power mobile processors.
    10-21-11 11:36 AM
    It's a rectangle with 3 or 4 buttons. How many ways can you design this.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 11:39 AM
    I've seen this phone. Funny enough, I was at some place yesterday where there were people doing art presentations and I saw this girl curling her hair, and we were chatting.
    A couple of minutes later, she pulled out that phone shown above and I thought it was a blackberry. I immediately was like, "hey a blackberry! what's your pin?"
    she then immediately said, "oh it's samsung, man"

with that given case, i do agree it creates a bit of a confusion, and samsung could probably be drawing "inspiration" from blackberry with that model.
    10-21-11 11:52 AM
    The baloney argument is that there is only one way to do something. Maybe their original-design phones suck big-time and they need to copy. Cheers to Apple for suing them. I personally don't look at Samsung products.
    Last edited by anthogag; 10-21-11 at 12:26 PM.
    10-21-11 11:58 AM
    The baloney argument is that there is only one way to do something. Maybe their original-design phones suck big-time and they need to copy. Cheers to Apple for suing them. I personally don't look at Samsung products.
    I agree that Samsung copied off of ios with its TouchWiz interface. As far as the LOOK of different skins, UI, etc there are many different ways of doing this. But as far as hardware, I really don't think there are that many options. You can only do so much with a bar style device with a screen and a querty keypad, you can only do so much with a slab with a large screen, etc.
    10-21-11 12:38 PM
    I agree that Samsung copied off of ios with its TouchWiz interface. As far as the LOOK of different skins, UI, etc there are many different ways of doing this. But as far as hardware, I really don't think there are that many options. You can only do so much with a bar style device with a screen and a querty keypad, you can only do so much with a slab with a large screen, etc.
    I hope your not a paid Industrial designer.

btw what do you call it when companies design their products specifically to take advantage of another companies success or reputation?

...good artists borrow great artists steal?
    10-21-11 02:18 PM
    It's probably a piece of junk like most other Samsung handsets...

I'm sickened by the s*** hardware that Samsung throws out in the market these days. Every Samsung device with the exception of the Captivate on AT&T feels cheap and plasticy. The screens are beautiful, I'll give them that, but when you wrap a diamond in a turd... Well you get the idea there...

Every phone that I've seen with that form factor I've always described as looking like a BlackBerry. It just comes with the territory. BB made that form factor famous, and everyone recognizes that style as a BlackBerry. Seen the Motorola Droid Pro? The keys are even shaped the same...
    10-21-11 02:34 PM
    I believe Moto has patents or licensing agreements on that type of keyboard. This was talked about when the Droid Pro first appeared.
    10-21-11 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD