Unless Apple claims it invented it. -_-
    What is the last thing Apple claimed to invent? Apple and its leadership I mean, not nutjob bloggers.
    01-08-14 10:08 AM
    What is the last thing Apple claimed to invent? Apple and its leadership I mean, not nutjob bloggers.
    Lol my comment wasn't supposed to be taken very seriously, but off the top of my head, though I do think iBeacon is a novel and unique method to iOS, its share features are far from innovative. Though, I think they explicitly marketed it as better than "bumping" for NFC so perhaps they didn't intend for people to see it that way.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:20 AM
    I think there's a lot of innovation but consumers are easily unimpressed. In terms of that, there's innovation saturation.
    I disagree with that.
    Smartphones were the last big innovation in the consumer tech space.
    They smoothed the way for tablets like the iPad, since an iPad is pretty much a huge iPhone.
    Which is the reason why I don't really see tablets as being an innovation.
    (W8 Tablets could become something like one, though)

I much rather tend to say, that a real innovation is overdue, instead of saying we have too much.

But I am interested:
    Where do you see so much innovation?

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:26 AM
    I just think as a whole, consumers are holding on to their cell/smartphones a little longer and not getting trap into the "latest/greatest" thing anymore....IMHO
    01-08-14 10:27 AM
    Lol my comment wasn't supposed to be taken very seriously, but off the top of my head, though I do think iBeacon is a novel and unique method to iOS, its share features are far from innovative. Though, I think they explicitly marketed it as better than "bumping" for NFC so perhaps they didn't intend for people to see it that way.

Posted via CB10
    Companies and situations running the gamut from grocery stores, baseball stadiums, e-vendors, upscale department stores, huge trade shows are deploying iBeacons for a wide range of uses, within months of its announcement. It's engaging interest and imagination. If it continues, I would say that is pretty innovative.

IBeacons in my opinion has more potential than NFC because it isn't quite as limited. And whatever one's opinion of Apple, when it adopts a technology chances do improve for greater commercial interest and deployment of said tech.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 10:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I get that you were joking, but the joke is only funny if, at some point, Apple claimed to have "invented" something that it didn't really invent. Perhaps a better question would be what you think Apple has claimed to invent that it did not really invent, since that's what your joke suggests.

FYI, the "better than bumping" line has nothing to do with iBeacon; it was about another feature (peer to peer sharing I believe) and was a specific swipe against Samsung, not NFC. Also, the "better than bumping" thing has never been "explicitly marketed" beyond an off-hand mention at an event. If that's what you call "specific marketing" then it's a pretty low standard.
    00stryder and ccbs like this.
    01-08-14 10:56 AM
    I get that you were joking, but the joke is only funny if, at some point, Apple claimed to have "invented" something that it didn't really invent. Perhaps a better question would be what you think Apple has claimed to invent that it did not really invent, since that's what your joke suggests.

FYI, the "better than bumping" line has nothing to do with iBeacon; it was about another feature (peer to peer sharing I believe) and was a specific swipe against Samsung, not NFC. Also, the "better than bumping" thing has never been "explicitly marketed" beyond an off-hand mention at an event. If that's what you call "specific marketing" then it's a pretty low standard.
    I get what you're saying, and I see that I misused the word "marketed" as I have yet to see that phrase used in an advertisement of any kind by Apple. I also see that I mislabeled Apple's peer sharing feature as iBeacon, again my apologies.

However, during the announcement of the features coming with iOS7 whether the phrase "better than bumping" was used by Apple or not, there was a implied suggestion that the wifi share feature was implemented as a response to Samsung's S-Beam feature, which is reliant on NFC.

Finally, I think my original comment has been viewed more as an accusation of Apple being disingenuous than it was a knock at the unsettling phenomenon that a lot of casual smartphone users (those that don't care to follow the tech blog sites) really only seem interested with new and innovative features if Apple announces it. Of course, there are certain reasons behind this, including how good Apple is at marketing their features and services (and how terrible BlackBerry has been), but to many of us it's just nauseating to hear of the latest "Apple innovation and/or invention" (again, not what Apple may state but how it's perceived by the general public).

Anywhos, wasn't trying to derail this thread into a lengthy discussion about Apple services and features. Back to your regularly scheduled programming, folks.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 11:26 AM
    Yep, I think the era of $700 smartphones is coming to an end. At least I hope smartphones are becoming more of a staple product.
    Absolutely and Apple is following. Note, 10 days after China Mobile released the iPhone 5s, they slashed prices by 20% to boost sagging sales.
    01-08-14 05:22 PM
    Neither of these companies are good at software. A good software developer does not ... put out patch after patch to fix problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    Based on that criteria, NO COMPANY is good at software. Please point to an example of perfectly released and no need for a patch software.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 05:24 PM
59 123