This.

Posted via SEGA master system
    This is such garbage. Samsung has this split screen ridiculous multitasking attempt. BlackBerry has a real multi task feature. You don't know **** .

Check the reply 4 posts above this one.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 01:46 PM
    Personally don't see the point of split screening on say a 4 inch screen, but hey, some people like using RDP on a smartphone where I find it an exercise in frustration. On a larger device, I can see it being more practical. So, on a Galaxy Note 3, it could be more useful than say on a S4. Though personally I think you need a 7 inch for it to be more functional.

With the size of the Z10, I can't really see any point so the fact that BB10 doesn't have it right now I don't see as much of a loss...

And if we define multi-tasking as getting more than one thing done at once, then I think I'd prefer the type of multi-tasking that the hub provides, i.e. one place to do multiple actions. If manufacturers can come up with more unique features like that, and I don't really care who does it, that impresses me more than just trying to duplicate desktop functionality on a smartphone.

Anyways, to each their own but for as many reasons to want say split screen on a BB10, I'd say there would be even more to have Hub like functionality on an Android phone.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    10-21-13 01:48 PM
    This is such garbage. Samsung has this split screen ridiculous multitasking attempt. BlackBerry has a real multi task feature. You don't know **** .

What is real (or true) multitasking? This is the word combination I hear over and over on here.

I thought it was indeed the ability to work with more than one app simultaneously.

But I guess people think it's switching between a maximum of 8 apps. One app at a time. Just like on any other mobile OS (except for the ridiculous restriction to 8 apps no matter what the hardware capabilities are). Go figure.
    pantlesspenguin and TgeekB like this.
    10-21-13 01:53 PM
    What is real (or true) multitasking? This is the word combination I hear over and over on here.

I thought it was indeed the ability to work with more than one app simultaneously.

But I guess people think it's switching between a maximum of 8 apps. One app at a time. Just like on any other mobile OS (except for the ridiculous restriction to 8 apps no matter what the hardware capabilities are). Go figure.
    Crack a book or Wikipedia to learn what 'true' multitasking is with respect to Operating Systems.

Windowing subsystems and multitasking are two different concepts (though they can work together to enhance user experience) .

For example, Mac OS 9 and earlier did not have true multitasking, but nevertheless they supported having multiple apps on screen at the same time in separate windows.

In Mac OS (before OS X), a process had full control of the CPU until it made a system call, at which point the system scheduler could either service the request and immediately return control to the caller, or it could allow other processes some CPU time (by servicing pending system calls from other processes before returning control to the last caller). This is called cooperative multitasking. This is different from 'true' or 'preemptive ' multitasking.

The problem with this is: what happens if some app gets stuck in a long computation without making any system calls? Then all other processes become starved for CPU time. This 'starvation' scenario is impossible in a preemptive multitasking system. However, preemptive multitasking requires hardware support.

Long story short, windowing and multitasking are two different things, but they can work together like chocolate and peanut butter.

I support BB10, NOT BB Management!
    Last edited by mnc76; 10-22-13 at 02:25 AM.
    10-22-13 01:56 AM
    And therefore, we can conclude that other people wanting it are stupid?

Posted via CB10
    I'm saying that it is a feature with no use case.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:32 PM
    I'm saying that it is a feature with no use case.

Posted via CB10
    And I am saying, that this may apply to you, but that the way you say it, is far too dogmatic.
    I have some use cases for such a feature.
    There were examples given in the thread.

Only because you may not see it, doesn't mean that there is no use case.
    You would have just needed to say it like this: " I don't need it, but I can see why others may want it.".

Instead you are dogmatic and tell us, that there are NO use cases. Nothing.
    Well, that's wrong.
    Very wrong.
    And your mindset, which you have shown and demonstrated to us in this reply, is exactly the one that made BlackBerry fail.

Why would people want apps?
    Why would anyone ever want to seriously browse the Internet on a phone?
    Why do consumers want a "good" camera in their phone?
    Why are smartphone users buying phones without a physical keyboard?
    And thanks to you, the collection increases yet again:
    Why do people even consider using a split-screen feature?

All of these questions, were things BlackBerry didn't understood fast enough, which made them trail behind the competition.
    Android manufacturers may throw 99 useless additions in every newly released device, but 1 may be good.
    The split-screen/multi-window is such a feature for me, because it was such an obvious one that we already know from the PC.

I want the option on my BB10 device, and I posted it as a suggestion in the BlackBerry Beta Zone.
    What ever your preferences are, they are just one thing: yours.
    Therefore, stop telling me what I should want, even though I have a very clear understanding of my preferences.

The option of a multi-window feature wouldn't even affect you, if you don't want to use it.
    The lack of it affects me, though.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:06 PM
    Drag and drop wouldn't work because dragging is panning on a touch phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 01:04 PM
    Drag and drop wouldn't work because dragging is panning on a touch phone.

Posted via CB10
    Drag and drop already works in the Samsung implementation....

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 02:29 PM
    Just like on the flagship BlackBerry (the Z30, that is). You pull the Note out one-handed. Press the home button (unlock it if there is a password/pattern), and start using.

But again, unlike the Z30, you can use two hands to draw, scribe (check MyScript Calculator, for example), surf the web, edit pictures, and documents more precisely, multitask the way, you can't even imagine on the Z30. And that's ON TOP of everything you can do on the Z30.
    Yes I think the Note is the best device of all time and clearly better than any Z10 or Z30, it was just my very own stupidity to not recognize how great and superior it was for everything. Now could you please stop wasting my time with the **** you write, thanks.

I mean, look...

Just like on the flagship BlackBerry (the Z30, that is). You pull the Note out one-handed. Press the home button (unlock it if there is a password/pattern), and start using.
    ...this is already bull****. What you call "using" here literally means "unless you're King Kong take your second hand to check your notification center". What a mess that phone is. From closing apps, to minimizing, to launching, to peeking, to checking notifications, going back, going forth, I do all this with a single thumb on a Z30 and that really fast. That would never work on a Note. But let me guess, I could easily flash a ROM on my Note which would make it work exactly like a Z30 or what? NOT INTERESTED.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 03:56 AM
    Why the hostility? You are obviously not open to hearing about other platforms but many are. The note is an excellent device, not for me, but still excellent. Being so one-sided is counterproductive.
    10-28-13 04:10 PM
    Why the hostility? You are obviously not open to hearing about other platforms but many are. The note is an excellent device, not for me, but still excellent. Being so one-sided is counterproductive.
    I agree with you there.
    The smartphone, therefore the usable touchscreen enabled device as well, would never have experienced such an incredible metamorphosis and growth in the marketplace, if buyers would have been happy with the status quo of Windows Mobile or BBOS phones.

Being onesided, in this case dismissing software features completely, because of a dogmatic and doubtfull belief is completely counterproductive.
    BlackBerry doesn't have it, therefore I don't need it.
    Why would anyone post pictures of their Food on IG?!
    Etc, cue endlessly....

Ps:
    I used the Note 3 from a friend of mine.
    It truly is an excellent device, which in my opinion, excells in what an Android device can deliver.
    Except for the camera. The S-pen and Wacom digitizer far outweigh this limitation for me though.
    I'll probably buy one, then sell my Z10, and buy a Q10 (Q30 if Watsa lets me).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-29-13 at 06:51 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and TgeekB like this.
    10-29-13 05:21 PM
    I agree. I have no real use for an s-pen but that doesn't mean its not an excellent innovation that many will put to good use. Its not about settling, its about giving people what they want, even before they realize it sometimes.
    pantlesspenguin and bekkay like this.
    10-29-13 07:32 PM
    Absolutely. I have a Z10 and an S4 and while the S4 is cool in lots of areas mentally I feel "dirty" because I feel like it's got so much going on behind the scenes that I have no control over which contributes to the lag. I'm tempted to load the Google edition OS on it but frankly I like the little multi window bar which I use for multitasking. I don't use the actual multi window feature. I wish the Hub and the Z10 keyboard were here.

All of this summed up....if anyone buys them I'm hoping it's Google. Wrapping a Google presence around BB10 and selling to enterprises would be nice.
    10-30-13 10:17 AM
    Absolutely. I have a Z10 and an S4 and while the S4 is cool in lots of areas mentally I feel "dirty" because I feel like it's got so much going on behind the scenes that I have no control over which contributes to the lag. I'm tempted to load the Google edition OS on it but frankly I like the little multi window bar which I use for multitasking. I don't use the actual multi window feature. I wish the Hub and the Z10 keyboard were here.

All of this summed up....if anyone buys them I'm hoping it's Google. Wrapping a Google presence around BB10 and selling to enterprises would be nice.
    The multi-window bar is an Android feature and will be there if you load the Google edition OS on it. I like it too!
    10-30-13 10:27 AM
314 ... 111213