Curious whether any of the knowledgeable regulars have practical experience, not in an enterprise setting, but more as individual consumers, with devices that support Samsung Knox (both phones and tablets).

If yes, what's your own experience with the Knox functionality? Plusses? Challenges? Lessons learned? Warnings?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-16-20 09:25 AM
    Curious whether any of the knowledgeable regulars have practical experience, not in an enterprise setting, but more as individual consumers, with devices that support Samsung Knox (both phones and tablets).

If yes, what's your own experience with the Knox functionality? Plusses? Challenges? Lessons learned? Warnings?
    Without being on an EMM, Knox doesn't really do much the user can see.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-16-20 09:57 AM
    Right. Like BB's BES/UEM, Knox is about creating a containerized "work" space and by keeping corporate email and file shares contained and separate from the "user" space on the phone, as well as restricting the apps on the work space. If you aren't working for a large company with a lot of its own infrastructure, then these solutions won't really do anything for you, and aren't designed for stand-alone consumer use.
    bakron1 and D BB like this.
    02-16-20 02:25 PM
    Right. Like BB's BES/UEM, Knox is about creating a containerized "work" space and by keeping corporate email and file shares contained and separate from the "user" space on the phone, as well as restricting the apps on the work space. If you aren't working for a large company with a lot of its own infrastructure, then these solutions won't really do anything for you, and aren't designed for stand-alone consumer use.
    Ok .. along the same line - what about the BlackBerry Android Root of Trust? Value for business or consumers? What does Samsung do?
    02-16-20 03:03 PM
    Ok .. along the same line - what about the BlackBerry Android Root of Trust? Value for business or consumers? What does Samsung do?
    Knox uses the root of trust, as does vanilla Android and BlackBerry Android. All slightly different implementations, and one can argue which one is better.

Knox has its own version of Integrity Detection, which will throw you off an EMM if it detects you've been compromised (root and/or changes to system files).
    02-16-20 04:11 PM
    Samsung has a Root of Trust. Samsung allows their devices to be rooted by individual owners, but there is a Knox "fuse" that, once "blown" by rooting can never be repaired, which means a rooted device can never again run Knox, and thus can't used be on a Knox-managed network. Even restoring the original Samsung factory image won't "fix" it - it is very literally a permanent break.
    02-16-20 04:41 PM
    Doesn't tripping Knox also break some app usage, like Samsung Pay?
    02-16-20 07:46 PM
    So for a consumer is the root of trust protection worthwhile? Can a malicious app root a phone?
    02-17-20 12:12 AM
    So for a consumer is the root of trust protection worthwhile? Can a malicious app root a phone?
    Root of trust means only a signed OS can be installed on the device, and that any OS tampering would be flagged at boot.

This doesn't mean a device can't be compromised while already running though. That's what BlackBerry Android Integrity Detection is for, which Knox has a version of as well - called Real-Time Kernel Protection.
    Last edited by conite; 02-17-20 at 12:53 AM.
    02-17-20 12:42 AM
    Doesn't tripping Knox also break some app usage, like Samsung Pay?
    Yes, it will break the ability to do mobile payments and probably some other high-security things.
    02-17-20 12:42 AM
    Knox performs pretty much under the hood
    02-17-20 12:46 AM
    For the individual consumer while there is stuff going on in the background, Samsung does not make a big deal of it because nobody cares.
    02-17-20 11:47 AM
    For the individual consumer while there is stuff going on in the background, Samsung does not make a big deal of it because nobody cares.
    Yeah if someone wants to know... there is a KNOX website.

Some of the apps utilize KNOX to secure your personal data..... Payment App, Health App, Secure Folders, Samsung Pass.

But yes it's mostly used to separate company and personal data and to keep the company data secure. KNOX provides some hardware-backed security features that generic Android does not.

Now Google's Pixel phones have a the security chip in them that offer some hardware security as well.
    02-17-20 02:01 PM
    Samsung Knox five US Government security certifications.
    https://support.samsungknox.com/hc/e...US-government-
    02-17-20 03:18 PM
    Yeah if someone wants to know... there is a KNOX website.

Some of the apps utilize KNOX to secure your personal data..... Payment App, Health App, Secure Folders, Samsung Pass.

But yes it's mostly used to separate company and personal data and to keep the company data secure. KNOX provides some hardware-backed security features that generic Android does not.

Now Google's Pixel phones have a the security chip in them that offer some hardware security as well.

Occasionally I get a secure folder notification but as an individual I ignore them.
    02-18-20 04:36 AM
    Sorry to revive an old thread... So, Knox is nothing like BlackBerry's Locker? The biggest reason why I won't switch to a different phone is because I depend on Locker to keep some stuff private on my KEY2 LE ... I don't know of any other brand that replicates that functionality.
    03-04-20 11:01 PM
    Sorry to revive an old thread... So, Knox is nothing like BlackBerry's Locker? The biggest reason why I won't switch to a different phone is because I depend on Locker to keep some stuff private on my KEY2 LE ... I don't know of any other brand that replicates that functionality.
    Samsung Secure Folder? Should you trust this?

Bare in mind that Samsung has moved Drive space out of Korea to an american owned drive system such as Microsoft Onedrive
    03-05-20 05:19 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mantec.applock
    03-05-20 06:05 AM
    Samsung Secure Folder? Should you trust this?

Bare in mind that Samsung has moved Drive space out of Korea to an american owned drive system such as Microsoft Onedrive
    I'd trust Samsung Secure Folder over TCL's Locker app.... Locker is not a BlackBerry product.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    03-05-20 07:13 AM
    I'd trust Samsung Secure Folder over TCL's Locker app.... Locker is not a BlackBerry product.
    For an individual user who wants to create a secure folder on their Android phone, I would use Cryptomator, which encrypts data locally and can synchronize encrypted files with Cloud services.

The Enterprise solutions, like Knox and BlackBerry UEM require a work profile.

BlackBerry's locker is only intended as a "privacy lock" on a local phone. It's not a serious solution for sensitive data.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    dmlis likes this.
    03-05-20 08:22 AM
    Doesn’t this app perform the same function?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ditor&hl=en_US
    03-06-20 03:25 AM
    Do you think Norton is as secure or robust as BBMo locker?
    03-06-20 03:29 AM
    Doesn’t this app perform the same function?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ditor&hl=en_US
    When choosing applications to protect sensitive data, you need to select vendors who have been thoroughly vetted. Cryptomator has undergone a third party security audit, and it's open source software has been thoroughly reviewed.

What do you know about the developer and the code on the app you mentioned. Why should I believe it uses the right encryption algorithms, and they they are properly implemented with no leaks or back doors?

03-06-20 05:56 AM
    Do you think Norton is as secure or robust as BBMo locker?
    More so. The TCL Locker isn't really secure - it's only meant to casually hide things from prying eyes.
    03-06-20 06:51 AM
    More so. The TCL Locker isn't really secure - it's only meant to casually hide things from prying eyes.
    +1

03-06-20 07:21 AM
37 12