BlackBerry has a patent for a Keyboard that goes over a phone's screen... Sounds familiar...
    Samsung infringing on Blackberry Patent with keyboard cover?-capacitive_keyboard_overlay_beflow.jpg

Samsuuunnnggg!
    Samsung infringing on Blackberry Patent with keyboard cover?-image.jpg
    Samsung infringing on Blackberry Patent with keyboard cover?-samsung_keyboard_case_s7_edge_unboxing_1-1024x684.jpg
    04-08-17 08:41 PM
    Isn't that basically the same thing Samsung has had for a while? i suspect if it was actionable, BB would have moved to freeze it, like it did with Typo.
    04-08-17 08:52 PM
    Looks like a rip-off to me. Yeah that's Samsung for you lol. The patent database is their design manual.
    04-08-17 08:53 PM
    Patents are often times very very detailed so I am sure that samsung altered it enough to avoid any conflict. And they have had this for a couple years now so I am sure BB already looked into it and found nothing to go after
    04-08-17 08:55 PM
    They secured the fugly patent.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    raseru03 likes this.
    04-08-17 09:14 PM
    BlackBerry has a patent for a Keyboard that goes over a phone's screen... Sounds familiar...
    Edited after re-reading that first post. I couldn't see that the first image was the BlackBerry patent image.

It does seem similar to Samsung's, which uses capacitive pads (like a stylus nub) under the key to press on the on-screen keyboard still on display under the "physical" keypad.

Hard to tell if the BlackBerry version does the same thing with all those layers under the keypad. Would like to see the item list all those numbers refer to.

The keyboard itself is not specific to BlackBerry. It's the shape/contour of the keys that's patented by BlackBerry. That's what Typo copied, BTW, including the fret lines between the rows of keys.

This Samsung... thing... does not have the same shape/contour on the keys.

Joel
    Last edited by joeldf; 04-09-17 at 09:00 AM.
    04-08-17 09:50 PM
    Samsung has deep pockets and a relationship with BlackBerry. BlackBerry is not interested in starting a fight they not only can't win but cuts future relations. Typo is nothing but Samsung is probably not only one of the top by probably the top manufacture of cell phones in the world. They made a phone that blows up and it didn't even bruise them so BlackBerry is wise to let them have their keyboard. Plus just because we didn't hear about it doesn't mean behind closed doors BlackBerry and Samsung worked something out.
    04-09-17 10:35 AM
    Plus I've use that Samsung keyboard cover on the S7 Edge, it's really bad, it has hardware and software issues, space key continously omits typing, I got it changed several times and the same issues persisted.
    04-09-17 11:28 AM
    Honestly, who cares. I'm sure BB is well aware of this and if they thought or needed to take legal recourse then they would have.
    04-09-17 12:42 PM