So why is it that different service providers have different OS's for the same style phone ? Aren't those OS's built by RIM? For example why would Rim build an OS say .459 for sprint than a month later build a .508 for verizon ? I just don't get it? I mean it doesn't effect the way the phone works if you have a Sprint Blackberry with a VZW OS on your phone so why not just build one at a time for all CDMA carriers instead of making multiple ones at the same time ?

Maybe these questions been asked before but I couldn't find an answer to them..
    It just doesn't make sense... You would think if they just concentrated on one at a time it would be easier to perfect it... Any thoughts or input is appreciated guys, Thank You for your time!!
    04-15-10 07:46 PM
    It really comes down to when the carrier decides to go live with an OS.
    When THEY are comfortable the OS is reasonably trouble / bug free they
    release it.

Also, yes, there are issues with OSs from one carrier to another. In some of the
    earlier release OSs from other carriers used on AT&T screwed up the browser and
    MMS. The same types of issues crop up with other carriers from time to time.

This is why we always warn users to proceed at their own risk when upgrading
    and OS, especially if it is not from their carrier, a leak and especially a hybrid.
    04-15-10 08:05 PM
    Blackberry creates the OS Builds and is distributed to all carrier that carry the device. At this point the carriers tests the OS as it must meet their standards and if required they will tweek the OS slightly to supposedly work better with their network.
    04-15-10 08:07 PM
    @ AG, makes sense.. but im talking more along the lines of CDMA phones VZW vs Sprint had an 8330 that i would use either carriers OS's and did the same thing with my 8530.. and i've never had any issues like that..
    04-15-10 08:09 PM
    @ AG, makes sense.. but im talking more along the lines of CDMA phones VZW vs Sprint had an 8330 that i would use either carriers OS's and did the same thing with my 8530.. and i've never had any issues like that..
    It really doesn't matter whether it is CDMA or GSM. The same criteria are used by the carriers.

Sometimes, even an official release by a carrier has bugs, though. Just take a look at all the problems with the latest 5.0 VZW released for the Tour.
    04-15-10 08:14 PM
    very true very true... thank you lak!
    04-15-10 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD