I was the same with my 8330 coming from WinMo. Things I liked from WinMo my BB didn't do, but because I was running both at once I learned to love my BB.

I am jealous of you Americans, 30 days to try a new phone! We get 15 days or 15 minutes of Air time to evaluate a phone, I generally am through the 15 min of Air time in the first day, so I have to pick and commit, luckly I buy some phones out of contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You Canadians are stuck with 3 year contracts too aren't you? Such short trial periods stink too, I mean that's scarcely time to see how the signal works in areas you frequent, much less learning to use a new/different device and seeing if you like it.

At least you still have the option of buying devices off contract and activating them if you want something different.
    01-17-11 10:02 AM
    Even 30 days isn't long enough for me to test my frequented areas, I do about a 60 day rotation for areas I frequent with challenging signals, luckly there are enough people who also hit those areas phones that suck get spoken about pretty quickly at shows and events.

But yes as Canadians 3 year contract pricing is similar to your 2 year, 1 year is $50off the phone, 2 years is $100-$150 off the phone, only reason to sign a 1 year is if you want to solidify a month to month price point because they are discontinuing a promotion

I check out new phones when I finish a work day and my hotel isn't ready yet, our FutureShops which are owned by best buy have fantastic displays for phones, with many live demo units across carriers, I'm always open to try new stuff since I carry 2 phones anyway. But so far I'm 2 blackberry's for the forseeable future

01-17-11 10:10 AM
    It is this type of arrogance that has RIM literally hemorrhaging customers to both Apple and Android.
    I can see Tucker reading some of the previous posts before making the comment you are calling him out on and What is it that he said that makes him so wrong. I think he makes a comment and let it read at face value like the others and I see nothing wrong with what his opinion is.

In as much as your comment to Chrisy I belive she iswell qualified to make the comment she made having worked for a carrier in the past. Now they may not have had as many Androids when she worked for the company she did as they do now but I also know that she knows quite a bit about what shewants having had many conversations with her about what she wants to do.

She knows the ramifications of her decision and while your advice about a used device is fine and thoughtful.... You just have to remember that with all the new Andriod devices announced at CES for VZw on 4g LTE and now ios Apple iphone 4 hitting it gives many people many options and maybe for some like myself it is just time for a change as opposed to us hating BB which is not the case at least with me. I don't hate BB but it is just time for something new no more no less and am sure it is this way with many others.
    01-17-11 12:37 PM
    You Canadians are stuck with 3 year contracts too aren't you? Such short trial periods stink too, I mean that's scarcely time to see how the signal works in areas you frequent, much less learning to use a new/different device and seeing if you like it.

At least you still have the option of buying devices off contract and activating them if you want something different.
    Yeah the 3year contracts suck along with the short trial periods. That's why we depend on those Refreshed devices within the 3 years so we can pick it up as a replacement. For me, i'm not eligble for an upgrade for another 2 years so this Torch refresh will count as an upgrade in my books. Better than keeping the same phone for 2 or 3 years.

01-17-11 05:50 PM
    Go ahead, no one is stopping you. But we will still be here once your back in a couple of months

I've been gone for a year, and have no plans on returning any time soon. Using my mothers torch for a couple of days while I did some work on it just underscored it.

All phones on my roadmap for the future, and there's a bunch, and not a one is a BB. Even with all these 'new' phones that are being rumoured.

I see this "you'll be back in a couple of months" BS all the time. Doesn't make it true. Do some return? Sure. Most? I wouldn't bet on it.
    01-17-11 05:58 PM
    First of all, you say i'm ignorrant
    I read arrogant. See below...

It is this type of arrogance that has RIM literally hemorrhaging customers to both Apple and Android.

See, that's what a low res screen will do to you. lol jk
    01-17-11 06:02 PM
    Go ahead, no one is stopping you. But we will still be here once your back in a couple of months

Not to mention the fact that the poster doesn't know the difference between
    you're and your.
    01-17-11 06:07 PM
    I read arrogant. See below...

See, that's what a low res screen will do to you. lol jk
    Oops didn't realize this mistake. I have a habit of not proof reading before I post. i'm working on it though

01-17-11 07:32 PM
    Not to mention the fact that the poster doesn't know the difference between
    you're and your.
    Like I said in my post above I have a habit of not proof reading before I post which i'm currently working on. If it'll make u happy you're is the short form of you are and your is used when tring to refer to something which someone has. English class dismissed.

01-17-11 07:36 PM
    Oops didn't realize this mistake. I have a habit of not proof reading before I post. i'm working on it though

Lol it's all good. It happens to mostly everyone sometimes.
    01-17-11 08:05 PM
    Like I said in my post above I have a habit of not proof reading before I post which i'm currently working on. If it'll make u happy you're is the short form of you are and your is used when tring to refer to something which someone has. English class dismissed.

Still need to work on the proofreading
    01-17-11 08:10 PM
    Still need to work on the proofreading
    Dayum, dos et reely mater tht mch tu yu? I meen ths is a forom not a Inglish clas. Lett it goe mane.

01-17-11 09:13 PM
    The butchering of the english language makes me cry. Are people so lazy that u is THAT much of a time saver? Are those extra 2 letters that time consuming?
    01-18-11 09:00 PM
    To be fair, I don't think Chrissy will come back once she gets the Bionic. From what I've heard, even my 8520 destroys the Tour, and well, let's just say the Androids in the UK (the worst ones) are making my Curve 8520 look bad. Don't tell me to go Android either, I've already said before it's a no-go due to no support for BlackBerry Presenter (and as stated previously as well, selling the Presenter is also not an option, so instead you'll just turn around and call me a troll for stating my experiences because they're not pro-BB, happens all too often now).

Heck, even the �40 Nokias are making my �150 BlackBerry look rubbish, as even the Nokias outspec my BlackBerry, and run BETTER than my BlackBerry (I've used many Nokias in my time). I had a �30 Nokia 5530 (until I snapped the thing cleanly in two) that destroys my �150 BlackBerry.
    01-18-11 09:11 PM
    The main reason RIM is dead in the water at VZW is.......screen size, or lack of it, resolution, camera quality, browsing speed, antiquated, and stale product design. The only thing BB has going for it is pushed email to ISPs other than G-mail (an Android limitation). They do not have a landscape slider with a 4.3" screen, or anything new on the immediate horizon to compete with that hardware. The four recently proposed Verizon LTE devices at CES are Android handsets, and the Iphone announcement is the nail in the coffin. The score on that....Android 4 BB 0.

A Torch-like drop down vertical hard qwerty is not the answer. Same ole, same ole. Until, such time that they promote a 4G QNX platform handset with a dual-core processor, you can rest assured RIM products will occupy a back-burner position on VZW and other carriers. My Storm2 will bridge the gap until someone pushes email like BB and develops a device that has some stability and dependable service. 3G CDMA is not the answer. All RIM seems to be providing are refresh-like specs and they do not compete with screen real estate or resolution #s. The cameras are also old hat.

We all have some BB loyalty or this forum would be empty. Its time something exciting other than the Play Book is introduced. Like a decent handset that breaks RIM's rather conventional flavor. Every device they put out seems to be similar in style. Motorola is lighting up the landscape with one innovative product after another. The mass market is embracing more exciting products. The next 6 months will determine whether BB becomes another Palm type product or stays with the big guys. Perhaps they can end Verizon's marriage to Android?
    K Bear likes this.
    01-18-11 09:24 PM
    I doubt they'll become a Palm like product, they're too popular in the UK for that. In the UK, Palm phones are mostly unheard of. I know NOBODY with a Palm. All BB/iPhone users, with a small glazing of Android.
    01-18-11 09:36 PM
    Its a little different here in the States. There is nothing exciting about BB when compared to Android devices. In as much as Google is a software company, they have no shortage of manufacturers to market their devices. Motorola, LG, HTC, and what seems to be every introduction now is something other than BlackBerry. This situation is across lines....At&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and even the cheapy providers are running with the Android platform. The market is shrinking at an alarming rate for RIM. The numbers will reflect this unless RIM does something about it and "gets with it!"
    01-18-11 09:49 PM
    Heck, even the �40 Nokias are making my �150 BlackBerry look rubbish, as even the Nokias outspec my BlackBerry, and run BETTER than my BlackBerry (I've used many Nokias in my time). I had a �30 Nokia 5530 (until I snapped the thing cleanly in two) that destroys my �150 BlackBerry.
    That's the first time I've actually read such things. Could you explain in detail?
    01-18-11 10:23 PM
    That's the first time I've actually read such things. Could you explain in detail?
    Ok so maybe a 5300 didn't do it, but my 5530 certainly did, until it got stolen. The only thing it was missing was BBM in comparison to the BB, and had either a 2MPixel camera w/ flash. The 5800 then came with a 3.2Mpixel RFC w/ flash and a 2Mpixel FFC (I believe). These were out before the Curve 8900! And the 5800 is �100 I believe now, the 5530 is �50 I believe.
    01-18-11 11:06 PM
    I have a feeling something Micheal Vick like will happen for RIM in a year or 2. I used Micheal Vick because of his big comeback this season and the same might happen for RIM. They maybe late but they will come out with something huge (QNX super BBs maybe?). As you all may know, RIM has entered the Tablet game late but they now are the underdogs with their industry leading specs. I wouldn't give up on RIM just yet until we see what their first QNX device will be. In the mean time, these OS6 devices can kill the wait time

01-19-11 12:01 AM
    The malcontents all over CrackBerry constantly tell us RIM is incompetent and must suffer an epic fail. The truth is more likely RIM has a different philosophy about what a smart phone should do.

Like me, RIM may believe a phone should be available to perform reliable, secure communications when it is really needed. It can do Web browsing in a pinch but doing so on even the largest, highres phone screen is annoying at best. Media playing on a phone is OK but it will always use large amounts of power and there is no way to stop that.

Let me tell an absolutely true story:
    One Friday night I and four of my coworkers had to move a computer room. This meant we worked a full normal day and put in another eight or so hours after the workday. For me and the other coworker with a BB it was even longer because we work the early shift. By about 11:30PM, the Android and Windows based phones were out of power. Two of the Android phone techs found a charger and eventually (after the move was finished) got their phones back to life. The Windows phone (our boss) had no such luck and his phone was dead. Yet both of us with BBs could continue to communicate. The BB holders were able to coordinate the move because our phones worked.

It is really nice that the non BB phones can browse the Web pretty fast but when communication was needed, they failed. Maybe, just maybe, that is what RIM knows that other phone makers don't know. A phone is for communications between people. A computer (and now tablet) is for Web and media.
    Yea, that's it. RIM was right all along.
    01-19-11 06:32 AM
    Nokias get great battery life, and are functionally more advanced than Blackberries. The only thing RIM has over the competition are its push services and secure corporate email. However, the competition is catching up to them in that front.

The battery life argument really is a bit of a wash these days. Even huge smartphones can go 15+ hours on a charge and for consumers that more than enough with how trivial it is to charge them on the go (Car, USB to Computer, Wall Charger at home overnight, etc.).

And the Storm2 doesn't have great battery life so that seems comical coming from someone with that in their post heading.
    01-19-11 08:39 AM
    Nokias get great battery life, and are functionally more advanced than Blackberries. The only thing RIM has over the competition are its push services and secure corporate email. However, the competition is catching up to them in that front.
    The Nokia 5800 didn't have great battery life, but it spent most of it's time rebooting. My Curve beats it up and then some in that respect... But, my Nokia 5530 (more advanced than my BlackBerry 8520), gets at least TRIPLE the amount of battery life on it, despite me using it 5x more heavily than my BlackBerry 8520.

Also, I've heard Nokia 5530's cream BlackBerry in terms of push email too... The E series of Nokia phones certainly put push email on my BlackBerry to shame. I have friends with Nokia E series phones, they demolish my BB for email.
    01-19-11 10:21 AM
    Just wondering how the security stacks up on the Nokias? There's always something with better this or that. I am attracted to the entire bb package as a whole. Just an opinion.

01-19-11 05:40 PM
    The malcontents all over CrackBerry constantly tell us RIM is incompetent and must suffer an epic fail. The truth is more likely RIM has a different philosophy about what a smart phone should do.

Like me, RIM may believe a phone should be available to perform reliable, secure communications when it is really needed. It can do Web browsing in a pinch but doing so on even the largest, highres phone screen is annoying at best. Media playing on a phone is OK but it will always use large amounts of power and there is no way to stop that.

Let me tell an absolutely true story:
    One Friday night I and four of my coworkers had to move a computer room. This meant we worked a full normal day and put in another eight or so hours after the workday. For me and the other coworker with a BB it was even longer because we work the early shift. By about 11:30PM, the Android and Windows based phones were out of power. Two of the Android phone techs found a charger and eventually (after the move was finished) got their phones back to life. The Windows phone (our boss) had no such luck and his phone was dead. Yet both of us with BBs could continue to communicate. The BB holders were able to coordinate the move because our phones worked.

It is really nice that the non BB phones can browse the Web pretty fast but when communication was needed, they failed. Maybe, just maybe, that is what RIM knows that other phone makers don't know. A phone is for communications between people. A computer (and now tablet) is for Web and media.
    +1. 10 char

You have to admit that this poster has a very good point and I myself have to admit that with everything else we think a smartphone is for and what we use it for, be it a BB or any other phone, it's main focus of use is to communicate as a phone and at times we ALL loose touch of this.
    01-19-11 05:52 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD