03-30-12 08:46 PM
36 12
tools
    I agree that RIM needs to step up their advertising. They seem to want to focus on the BlackBerry platform itself, rather than the benefits of the individual devices. They really need to take a look at Apple's marketing playbook and realize that the best way to showcase what a BlackBerry can do is to actually show the device doing stuff. Think about the commercial talking about the camera on the iPhone 4S. That commercial is awesome from a marketing perspective (showing things that an "ordinary" camera can't do).

Show people interacting with the device, rather than just talk about it. Show that a BlackBerry can do things that other phones can do, and more. That is how you will successfully market these devices.
    03-30-12 11:37 AM
    I agree that RIM needs to step up their advertising. They seem to want to focus on the BlackBerry platform itself, rather than the benefits of the individual devices. They really need to take a look at Apple's marketing playbook and realize that the best way to showcase what a BlackBerry can do is to actually show the device doing stuff. Think about the commercial talking about the camera on the iPhone 4S. That commercial is awesome from a marketing perspective (showing things that an "ordinary" camera can't do).

Show people interacting with the device, rather than just talk about it. Show that a BlackBerry can do things that other phones can do, and more. That is how you will successfully market these devices.
    Definitely. I understand word of mouth marketing being a business owner my self. But when you have a stereotype you have to overcome (same old blackberry) you have to do more. They have the product!! That is what is frustrating. I have used other brands and blackberry stacks up very well. Os7 devises not selling is not because of the devise; no one knows what they can do.
    03-30-12 12:46 PM
    I wonder if RIM actually pay their marketing department
    I wonder if RIM actually HAS a marketing team. I love their phones and tablet but it's sad how poor their marketing is. Almost unbelievable at times.
    03-30-12 01:50 PM
    Maybe RIM should consider some television commercials of the "How do you use your BlackBerry" sort? And then show a quick barrage of answers like

FaceBook chat.
    Watching YouTube videos.
    Playing Crazy Survival.
    Checking bank balance.
    Reading a book (unfortunately it won't be a Kindle book).

...and so on. The idea wouldn't be to show anything revolutionary, so it shouldn't dwell on any single thing. But the overall effect would be to show that the BB does all these things that non-BB users may believe it can't do. And in the process, have closeups of screen swiping, so it's clear that there's a touch screen there.

If the problem is really that people have an outdated idea of what BBs can do, then the solution is to show them, in an engaging way.
    I think you've got something there. My 9900 really does do everything I want it to, and it does it really well. There's also benefits like Themeing that doesn't apply at ALL to Apple ("Change your UI?! Who would EVER want to do a thing like THAT?!"), and is pretty clunky on Android.

The trouble RIM faces right now is that consumers know a new platform is coming. As soon as most consumers hear that, they instantly assume that 1) the current platform is inferior and 2) that it won't get ongoing support either from RIM or developers. That's a crying shame, too, because 7.1 really IS very good.

The other problem? RIM's finances are still OK, but they hardly have unlimited resources for marketing. That means (given the whole obsolescence issue) that going big on BB7 phones might take resources away from the marketing push for BB10.

I think they're in survival mode for the next couple of quarters, unfortunately.
    03-30-12 02:35 PM
    RIM's marketing is absolutely awful. I have a 9860 and I was embarrassed when I saw the Bold commercial insulting touch screen phones. RIM has a major problem when it comes to marketing and advertisement, they might as well be shooting themselves in the foot.

Many people know absolutely nothing about Blackberry. Everyone thinks that the newest phones Blackberry has are the Bold 9700 style models from years ago. It's actually quite sad, because the 9860 along with other blackberry 7 phones are actually quite nice and competitive with what else is available on the market.
    03-30-12 02:50 PM
    RIM's marketing is absolutely awful. I have a 9860 and I was embarrassed when I saw the Bold commercial insulting touch screen phones. RIM has a major problem when it comes to marketing and advertisement, they might as well be shooting themselves in the foot.

Many people know absolutely nothing about Blackberry. Everyone thinks that the newest phones Blackberry has are the Bold 9700 style models from years ago. It's actually quite sad, because the 9860 along with other blackberry 7 phones are actually quite nice and competitive with what else is available on the market.
    i'm not even sure most people are aware there are different BB models. it's like they see a phone with a qwerty keyboard and think that's the blackberry one-trick pony.
    christenmartin and shemaree09 like this.
    03-30-12 02:55 PM
    This all being said all the chatter about the earning report yesterday was really good. It sounds like things have been at a crawl and the new CEO is bringing in some new blood. What I heard yesterday is what everyone has assumed was happening and suggested what needed to be done. Things were not booming and a shake up was needed. New management may deal with this OBVIOUS problem.
    03-30-12 05:37 PM
    If they do it's obviously not enough to motivate them!
    Yeah- the head of their marketing team is BGR's "top inside source". lol
    03-30-12 05:41 PM
    A few weeks ago a friend of mine was looking for a phone and I had told him to look at blackberry and the response was "I had one, it was good but I need something I can do more on". He told me he was leaning towards the Nokia lumina, which I think is definitely a good phone, but I told him that I had a Nokia 5 years ago, and it was alright but I need something I can get email on. My point was for some reason people that have owned bb phones seemed to think that they have not changed in the last 4 years. This seems to be a issue with this RIM. There are many good phones and I think BlackBerry is one of the best and dedicated to improving, they just need to tell somebody. My friend did not get my point.
    No offense but your point is a bit lost because you are demonstrating your own preconceived notions. There are numerous Nokia Lumia (not Lumina) models and all certainly offer email. Trying to make a point by ridicule hardly ever works and certainly is not something that will convince people to try your preferred phone. Quite frankly, it conveys arrogance and elitism. His comment simply reflects a commonly held position that the BB phone line is dated - that can be addressed by explaining its features and advantages. Your comment was simply dismissive....
    03-30-12 07:47 PM
    That is definitely a marketing problem. Apple phone sell very well, and it is the same phone over and over. They market period. One thing that amazes people is the bridge to my playbook and what I can do (remote, type, voice type(Vlingo), etc...) yet I have never seen a commercial showing this. Granted it is a little thing, but very cool and perfect for a 30 sec spot.
    I call the iPhone by its proper name, the Barbie Phone. Not because it's for women, it's because that b***h has everything.

BlackBerry has changed, albeit after people stopped paying attention. They never tried going toe-to-toe for the goodies and got left in the dust as the other systems were
    hitting their stride. Just goes to show you never let the other competitors take advantage; you have to work 3x harder to get caught up.
    03-30-12 08:44 PM
    RIM should start playing some Be Bold commercials that actually show the features and abilities.

Combine that with what's currently playing
    Scrape the "Be Bold" thing. Can't they see it is not working?

Also, how about showing the other phones like the 9850/9860?

Ack!

Tim
    03-30-12 08:46 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD