A few weeks ago a friend of mine was looking for a phone and I had told him to look at blackberry and the response was "I had one, it was good but I need something I can do more on". He told me he was leaning towards the Nokia lumina, which I think is definitely a good phone, but I told him that I had a Nokia 5 years ago, and it was alright but I need something I can get email on. My point was for some reason people that have owned bb phones seemed to think that they have not changed in the last 4 years. This seems to be a issue with this RIM. There are many good phones and I think BlackBerry is one of the best and dedicated to improving, they just need to tell somebody. My friend did not get my point.
    03-25-12 08:04 PM
    Unfortunately RIM does not have a good marketing team & the adds that are out don't show the phones feature. So yea folks still think that Blackberry have not changed.
    03-25-12 08:13 PM
    A few weeks ago a friend of mine was looking for a phone and I had told him to look at blackberry and the response was "I had one, it was good but I need something I can do more on". He told me he was leaning towards the Nokia lumina, which I think is definitely a good phone, but I told him that I had a Nokia 5 years ago, and it was alright but I need something I can get email on. My point was for some reason people that have owned bb phones seemed to think that they have not changed in the last 4 years. This seems to be a issue with this RIM. There are many good phones and I think BlackBerry is one of the best and dedicated to improving, they just need to tell somebody. My friend did not get my point.
    With an amazing marketing team; they could work wonders!
    Chrisy, Morty2264 and jkomo001 like this.
    03-26-12 03:31 PM
    this exactly.

recently somebody couldnt believe that Blackberry's had twitter apps, web browser, or media player....even in 2012.

even with the BeBold and Tools Not Toys commercials, tons of people STILL dont know that the new Bold has a touchscreen. Even salespeople......
    fanatical and jkomo001 like this.
    03-26-12 04:57 PM
    RIM should start playing some Be Bold commercials that actually show the features and abilities.

Combine that with what's currently playing
    jkomo001 and SnoozerBold like this.
    03-26-12 06:42 PM
    RIM should start playing some Be Bold commercials that actually show the features and abilities.
    i totally agree with this point...i think this is something thats strangely lacking in their ads. bb's have so many features i have no idea what their ads department (if they have one) is thinking about making a cupcake commercial
    Last edited by alexandros2011; 03-26-12 at 07:25 PM.
    03-26-12 07:22 PM
    I wonder if RIM actually pay their marketing department
    03-26-12 07:38 PM
    I wonder if RIM actually pay their marketing department
    If they do it's obviously not enough to motivate them!
    03-26-12 08:04 PM
    If they do it's obviously not enough to motivate them!
    they shud hire a few of us from cb...theres no way anyone would dare suggest another cupcake with spinkles commercial...lmao
    03-26-12 08:29 PM
    Well, they haven't really done anything spectacular in at least the last 2 years. I got my 9700 when it was top of the line, and although the specs have gone up some, they really can't do much more than my 9700 can. It's mainly because of the limited JVM that they still run. Once the new BB10 devices come out, the OS and specs will be much more capable and hopefully, they'll be much more coveted as well.
    03-26-12 08:38 PM
    they shud hire a few of us from cb...theres no way anyone would dare suggest another cupcake with spinkles commercial...lmao
    I would hope not! That was probably the dumbest advertising yet. Great marketing for the cupcake shop though. Lol
    03-26-12 08:52 PM
    I would hope not! That was probably the dumbest advertising yet. Great marketing for the cupcake shop though. Lol
    ya im sure the cupcakes are flying out the door...now just to get bb's to do the same
    up488 likes this.
    03-26-12 09:30 PM
    I wish they would show the commercial with the guy touching the screen, flipping through photos, and pinching to zoom.

Then they need to show the Bold bridged to the Playbook.

It seems so obvious, it's like RIM is not even trying.
    Devhux and VanCity778 like this.
    03-26-12 10:09 PM
    I wish they would show the commercial with the guy touching the screen, flipping through photos, and pinching to zoom.

Then they need to show the Bold bridged to the Playbook.

It seems so obvious, it's like RIM is not even trying.
    If i could "Like" this post a 100x i would. I totally agree.
    Devhux likes this.
    03-26-12 10:26 PM
    Its true! So many people think they are the same phones from 2009! I don't know how RIM could so miss the mark on this.

When I show people my phone they don't believe its a Blackberry.
    03-26-12 10:32 PM
    RIM's marketing team needs to WAKE UP
    03-28-12 02:22 PM
    My first bb product was in 2011. I would be amazed when people would tell me what they're ____ phone did and that's why they don't use blackberry, while I was doing exactly what they said it didn't do. Same with the playbook. I have read that it is not this or that, while doing anything and everything I want to do with it. My wife was one of these people that assumed rim was the inferior product, until seeing mine. Now she has a torch and a PlayBook. (best combo and not my opinion). BB products are very solid. When I see no or little advertising with a product, I assume it is on purpose. Any company that is successful at all knows marketing is key. When the new ceo took over what interested my was the out going ceo saying that they had been planning for the transition for 4YEARS. That tells me they we're preparing to restructuring. We'll see.
    03-28-12 02:57 PM
    My first bb product was in 2011. I would be amazed when people would tell me what they're ____ phone did and that's why they don't use blackberry, while I was doing exactly what they said it didn't do. Same with the playbook. I have read that it is not this or that, while doing anything and everything I want to do with it. My wife was one of these people that assumed rim was the inferior product, until seeing mine. Now she has a torch and a PlayBook. (best combo and not my opinion). BB products are very solid. When I see no or little advertising with a product, I assume it is on purpose. Any company that is successful at all knows marketing is key. When the new ceo took over what interested my was the out going ceo saying that they had been planning for the transition for 4YEARS. That tells me they we're preparing to restructuring. We'll see.
    even after actually showing ppl my phone can do the same thing, they STILL give me hard time just because its made by Blackberry. Anything made by Blackberry is automatically considered inferior. Its ridiculous.

If I had some cheap Samsung or HTC nobody would care JUST because its Android.
    03-28-12 03:00 PM
    even after actually showing ppl my phone can do the same thing, they STILL give me hard time just because its made by Blackberry. Anything made by Blackberry is automatically considered inferior. Its ridiculous.

Totally agree. My brother in law is a computer guy so android is his religion. I was showing him my pb and he was bewildered. After which he said his next tab will be an Android. I think some individuals are persuaded with factors rather then they're experience. Be it advertising, branding, or what group they perceive is "their group". These factors do not usually have much to do with me. Function over form. I want an OS7 devise (bold or torch 9850), but my 9800 work so good still I can't bring my self to spend the money.
    03-28-12 03:33 PM

Oh man, I couldn't agree more! I was told I should burn mine lol! I then sat down with them and said well, what does your Android do that my Blackberry doesn't? Room went quiet. Still haven't gotten an answer other than when I talked to my boss a couple of days later and he said well, your Blackberry just sucks. I laughed, said pathetic, and walked away.

The best one was that Blackberry doesn't have a proper Media player? I read that on these forums but I realized one of my friends was saying the same thing. Enlightened her and she chose to get a new Curve.
    03-28-12 05:25 PM
    I stopped for a beer a week or two ago and I had a new Bold with me in the box that I was taking to another office the next day. The waitress joked about "what did I bring her?" and I said it was the new BB. She gave kind of a grimace and I told her that they've come a long way and it's an awesome phone. I said "Have you tried one recently?" She said yes, not that long ago. She said, I liked it and the keyboard was great but why don't they make it a touch screen?

RIM Marketing? Doesn't exist...
    03-28-12 06:03 PM
    Maybe RIM should consider some television commercials of the "How do you use your BlackBerry" sort? And then show a quick barrage of answers like

FaceBook chat.
    Watching YouTube videos.
    Playing Crazy Survival.
    Checking bank balance.
    Reading a book (unfortunately it won't be a Kindle book).

...and so on. The idea wouldn't be to show anything revolutionary, so it shouldn't dwell on any single thing. But the overall effect would be to show that the BB does all these things that non-BB users may believe it can't do. And in the process, have closeups of screen swiping, so it's clear that there's a touch screen there.

If the problem is really that people have an outdated idea of what BBs can do, then the solution is to show them, in an engaging way.
    geoffsdad likes this.
    03-29-12 07:33 AM
    I know I'm not alone when I see one of the few commercials for rim and get pump up. Than after watching it, the thought is "was that it". I don't know who is putting their commercials together but they are not doing BB justice. The whole time I'm thinking they should show this and that......
    03-30-12 10:30 AM
    on another forum i posted a pic of my 9930 when I got it and the 1st comment was:

Oh look. It looks and works like every other BB before it.
    gotta get over that perception somehow
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-30-12 10:40 AM
    That is definitely a marketing problem. Apple phone sell very well, and it is the same phone over and over. They market period. One thing that amazes people is the bridge to my playbook and what I can do (remote, type, voice type(Vlingo), etc...) yet I have never seen a commercial showing this. Granted it is a little thing, but very cool and perfect for a 30 sec spot.
    03-30-12 10:47 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD