I was looking for the 9900 on ATT this past weekend and went into two stores. When I asked for the Bold I got an incredulous look. Like, "Why in the world do you want a blackberry??". It wasnt just a look either becuase after that first awkward stare, both sales people flat out said, "why do you want a blackberry?". Followed up with, "you dont really want a blackberry". Now, I know all about blackberry. I know all about Android and IOS. I was making a concious choice to try the blackberry. I already have an Iphone 4S and right before that I had the Samsung Galaxy S2 so I really didnt need thier help in making my decision. My wife used to be a avid BB user and we happened to be next to a Verizon store, so I decided I would show her the new bold. We went in and I asked for it and I got the same exact reaction. Like, "Dude, you really dont want to look at the Bold".

The only point to this is that BB is going to have a hard enough time regaining its position as a sought after brand. But with this outright hostility to it by the very people who are selling it, the chips are stacked significantly against RIM.
    As a longtime blackberry owner since 2003, I can see the hostility. Blackberries are inferior products compared to other smartphone offerings. They are behind the times. No front facing camera, no skype, no wifi hot spot and no apps and if you are not on BES, they handle email poorly compared to iphones and android phones.

The inferiority of Blackberries is manifest in their death spiral to oblivion. Decreasing market share, stock price and market capitalization. Have you tried using App World? It is slow and painful. The whole Blackberry experience is awful.

The board of directors at RIM are mostly accountants and engineers. Apple's board is mostly marketing people.

Times changed and blackberry didn't. In the past, Motorola flamed out, Nokia flamed out and Palm flamed out and now it is Blackberry.

Why would anyone want a Blackberry? What do they do well? Even battery life on the Blackberry is bad now. Battery life on my Torch 9810 is abysmal.

I have a blackberry, iphone and android. I use the blackberry for sports like hiking, biking and skiing. If I wreck it or lose it, I don't care. They are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

I really like my android. It does everything well. I am not an Apple fan because I really hate itunes.

I am still hanging onto my Blackberry. It is a good phone, in a small compact size that does email.

If BB10 comes out and it is good, I will buy one for sure. I will always own a Blackberry for nostalgic reasons, but it will always be my second phone.
    01-27-12 03:25 PM
    What they need is QVC and Home Shopping Network!! That will get more exposure,
    and people will see what Blackberrys and Playbooks can do!

My sister bought a Curve from HSN!! I never expected her to buy Blackberry, but now
    we are up to 5 in our family!
    Interesting thought, Denise. Unlike infomercials, the people who are watching are doing so by choice. So, any information they gain is because they're there willingly.

If that's done often enough to gain some branding, but not often enough to turn BB's image into a commodity instead of a first tier smartphone, that'd be a great venue to get the name out.
    01-27-12 03:42 PM
    Interesting thought, Denise. Unlike infomercials, the people who are watching are doing so by choice. So, any information they gain is because they're there willingly.

If that's done often enough to gain some branding, but not often enough to turn BB's image into a commodity instead of a first tier smartphone, that'd be a great venue to get the name out.
    My sister bought her Blackberry with the Boost bill shrink plan. Its a wonderful deal to
    have her monthly plan go down for paying on time.
    01-27-12 03:54 PM
    They are behind the times. No front facing camera, no skype, no wifi hot spot and no apps and if you are not on BES, they handle email poorly compared to iphones and android phones.
    We don't know that a front facing camera isn't in the works. You need to complain to Skype about no BB skype. OS7.1 has the hotspot -- your carrier may not. No apps? What specialty niche do you need an app for? BB has a few shortcomings re: email, fixed by 3rd party apps.

Times changed and blackberry didn't. In the past, Motorola flamed out, Nokia flamed out and Palm flamed out and now it is Blackberry.
    So, Motorola made it back with the Android phones. Nokia is coming to life with WP7. HP is rethinking its ineptitude in not properly using and supporting WebOS, so that may have new life. But you're saying RIM can't rise from the flames? I'm glad I'm not looking at life through that crystal ball.

I am still hanging onto my Blackberry. It is a good phone, in a small compact size that does email.
    Wait. Is this the same BB that isn't as good at email as iPhone and Android? But you like it because it's small and does email.
    TgeekB and AlienSlacker like this.
    01-27-12 03:59 PM
    We don't know that a front facing camera isn't in the works. You need to complain to Skype about no BB skype.
    Actually..I would say it's still fair to blame RIM on that one. How many phones did RIM put out in 2011, that STILL did not include a FFC? And as far as the PlayBook goes..look at it from Skype's perspective..of taking a "wait and see" approach to see how well the PB does before we build an app for it. Well..we all know how well it sold..so I can understand their hesitancy in creating something for it that may or may not bave been around in a year's time.

And again..as far as Mobile Hotspot was concerned..this was purely RIM's blunder as well. Canada had no tethering restrictions forever (some do now), and when the OS 7 phones were released, every carrier had phones capable of this..except BB's. So again..RIM tried to pass the buck on this one and blame carriers, when it was clearly apparent their software wasn't ready for it yet (thus..the 7.1 update)
    01-27-12 04:10 PM
    Technology changes year to year, heck daily. It's like the stock market. You have to look at it over the long haul, if you fret about it daily you will loose your mind. Sure Blackberry "seems" like it hasn't kept up because it doesn't have some of the popular bells and whistles everyone "needs" today (skype, apps, etc., blah, blah, blah). It still works for many people and may get a lot better with the new phones coming out. People love to jump on bandwagons and mock the one that is not #1. Use the phone that works best for you. RIM is not dead and we shall see what 2012 brings. JMHO.
    01-27-12 04:32 PM
    We don't know that a front facing camera isn't in the works. You need to complain to Skype about no BB skype. OS7.1 has the hotspot -- your carrier may not. No apps? What specialty niche do you need an app for? BB has a few shortcomings re: email, fixed by 3rd party apps.

So, Motorola made it back with the Android phones. Nokia is coming to life with WP7. HP is rethinking its ineptitude in not properly using and supporting WebOS, so that may have new life. But you're saying RIM can't rise from the flames? I'm glad I'm not looking at life through that crystal ball.

Wait. Is this the same BB that isn't as good at email as iPhone and Android? But you like it because it's small and does email.
    Hi Kraski. When I use my Blackberry, I suffer through email with it. My biggest complaint is that there is no 2 way sync between my PC and the handset like on an android. To get this functionality with a blackberry, you need BES. My Blackberry is on BIS.

My android has wireless sync between my contacts, calendar and email for free because Google gives you free Exchange Active Sync.

It is ironic that RIM who invented push email for the mobile user has such a poor experience for the consumer who doesn't use BES.

Wifi router on the BB is not widely available to users unless you want to download a beta OS. I had wifi hot spot on my Android phone 2 years ago. How could RIM be so daft?

Apps I like on my android are Skype, Teamviewer, FTP software, Netflix, FlightSim, Slingbox, etc. None of which you can get for a blackberry.

They should have had video BBM 2 years ago.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-27-12 at 05:44 PM. Reason: It is 2012 and RIM does not have a single handset with a front facing camera. They deserve to go out of business.
    01-27-12 05:04 PM
    I was in a bestbuy one time.
    The guy told me that the BlackBerry was gonna die.
    I told him it wasn't.
    He said the software was old and it was dying.
    Then my PlayBook took a dump on his Galaxy tab 10.1
    He then told me he made his own OS's for Android.
    I then acted interested.
    Then I said that I didn't like the Android Sense that was built into Galaxy S2 Phones.
    He agreed and said that there was a way to turn it off.

I told him that he should know more about the subject before trying to BS me.

(Android Sense is on HTC phones, Not Samsung)
    01-27-12 05:28 PM

This is about the salepeople, not the phones. Knock off the BB doesn't this, BB doesn't that, my blah blah blah is better, and focus on the dang topic!
    01-27-12 05:41 PM
    When I was coming back to Blackberry I originally stopped at Verizon. The sales guy there basically tried to cram an android device down my throat. I ended up just leaving and walking two blocks down to T-Mobile. The sales staff at T-Mobile were kind of clueless but they were super nice and made every effort to help me get set up so they got my business.
    01-27-12 06:27 PM
    When I was coming back to Blackberry I originally stopped at Verizon. The sales guy there basically tried to cram an android device down my throat. I ended up just leaving and walking two blocks down to T-Mobile. The sales staff at T-Mobile were kind of clueless but they were super nice and made every effort to help me get set up so they got my business.
    Good for you. Happy to hear that they sold you the phone YOU want, not what they think is hot.
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    01-27-12 06:44 PM
    I have to admit, the people at my local AT&T have never been like this. They never try to sell me something I am not interested in. They let me come in and play with new devices. I really have no complaints.
    01-27-12 06:44 PM
    The last 3 phone upgrades I've had the same experience.
    Sales people trying to talk me into a droid (gag me) or an iphone (nevermind, I'll gag myself).

I went in there SPECIFICALLY for the newer BB (see sig) and was told "we don't sell that many of them" and "you don't really want that".

It's infuriating to be told what I want, need or be treated as though I'm an for wanting a BB.

The last upgrade (about July of last year), I called the store to see if they had a 9810 in stock (upgrading from 9800). Yes, they said, we'll put one aside. Arrived at store, waited to talk to Justin, whom I was directed to speak with. Justin finished with his customer and we began.
    I came in to see the 9810 you're holding for me.
    Why?
    Because that's what I want.
    (As we walk over to the ONLY BB on display in the entire store)
    But the new droid (can't remember which one because I wasn't listening) is better.
    We don't sell many BB's in here.
    Ok, tell me the difference between the 9800 and the 9810.
    I don't know.
    Ok, tell me why I would want the 9810.
    The droid is better.
    Seems like you don't like them much.
    I don't have anything against them.
    Waht kind of phone do you carry?
    A blackberry?
    Really? so how come you're trying to sell me a droid?
    Well, I don't know much about this phone.
    So I told him about OS 6 v. 7 on the 2 devices and his eyes began scanning the room to see if he could find someone to sell his precious droid to...

Nevermind, ring me up.
    Then came the story of how I wasn't qualified for the upgrade, needed to change my data plan, should buy warrenty, blah, blah, blah.

I got my 9810, but went though corporate to get it. I explained to them how the local store (no, it's not a distributor, but an actual ATT retail store) is bashing produts they carry! They sent me an extra cord, a case, the 9810 itself, free shipping and credited my account for 2 months of service.
    BigBadWulf and BB10FTW like this.
    01-27-12 07:18 PM
    Me, too. But most are for things I don't care about and don't stick around to find out if they can change my mind. Like Billie Mayes (sp?) was for OxyClean. I hate screaming DJs and announcers and I already have my laundry detergent preferences. I'd probably sit through a BB infomercial. But I already own one. The interest in the phone is already there. Which means I'm not the audience they'd be looking for. And that was my point.

Most people aren't going to sit through a 30 minute presentation for a phone they haven't even decided they might think about. The first line of attack has to be regular 30 and 60 second commercials rotating a set of features that BB does particularly well. They'll get the interest going. Then, in those, also highlight a link to where a viewer can go on the web for more info. Then, it's their choice to be spoon fed 30 minutes of info and there's no negative response to doing it.

People will see the BB commercial...this will spark curiosity...they'll watch the infomercial when it comes-on...and then at least have some knowledge of the BlackBerry ecosystem when visiting carrier stores
    01-27-12 09:33 PM
    People will see the BB commercial...this will spark curiosity...they'll watch the infomercial when it comes-on...and then at least have some knowledge of the BlackBerry ecosystem when visiting carrier stores
    No they won't. Most marketing test say that informecials attract the most viewers between midnight and 3 am.

A tech heavy infomercial at 1am will be dead in the water.
    01-27-12 11:32 PM
    There is such an incredible Blackberry backlash in the US, being Canadian I really don't see it first hand and am not sure why this has occurred. I would like to post to an Android or Apple forum to see why there is such a fierce hate-on for bb. I'm no advocate for any product but don't understand such hostility by the sales people. I think they are just post-teenagers that do not want to promote something that doesn't have several hundred thousand games on it.
    I live in british columbia and when i went to purchase my playbook the sales guy gave me the worst look like i knew nothing about technology. He then went on the try and sell me on the iPad, talking about the bigger size and the huge amounts of apps and how its the best tablet on the market.......well by sales yes but not for me! He then went on to say "you should only get a Playbook if you own a Blackberry" I reached into my pocket and out came my Bold 9700 then said im Crackberry For Life, Playbook please! Also got the same look at 2 different Bell stores and one lady hated on the Blackberry so bad she didnt even want to show me a demo of the new 9900.
    Its super discouraging. People just got their minds set to iPhone and Android no love for Blackberry
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:58 PM
    No they won't. Most marketing test say that informecials attract the most viewers between midnight and 3 am.

A tech heavy infomercial at 1am will be dead in the water.

It would definitely not be tech-heavy it would be presented in a fun way.

I personally would welcome BB infomercials. The 'hot women that want to talk' or the 'bend this car spring to lose 30 lbs in 2 weeks' infomercials can stand some competition

Watching a BB infomercial as one dozes-off...can be a good way to install the 'BB seed'
    01-28-12 12:24 PM
242 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD