Aparently Blackberry has no Weather Radar apps:

Check out Animated WSR-88 Local Radar! You can find it at Buy Animated WSR-88 Local Radar - Download Animated WSR-88 Local Radar - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 03:13 AM
    Carriers are all about capped data plans now and Andriod / iPhone consume much more than BB in an average persons hands. Also, I think RIM pissed off the carriers with the PB bridge as it bypasses their tethering plans.
    No they're not Sprint and Metro PC are unlimited. This desire to uncover a conspiracy is unwarranted.

RIM 'pissing-off' carriers and said carrier's 'retaliation' makes no sense if you consider it logically.
    01-24-12 08:31 AM
    Aparently Blackberry has no Weather Radar apps:

Check out Animated WSR-88 Local Radar! You can find it at Buy Animated WSR-88 Local Radar - Download Animated WSR-88 Local Radar - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    BB doesn't have the specific app I have on my iPhone. There is no THV radar app supported by NOAA that shows specific storm tracks with paths, speed, direction and what it's got in it (Hail, rain, tornadoes). BB also doesn't have NOAA Radio nor does it have LiveSteam.

.....and BB has a bunch of Apps that do that
    I have BeWeather on my S2. I have the Weather Channel on my S2. They both do notifications just fine but you want to hear something funny? I got 2 alerts yesterday morning for a tornado warning that was issued 12 hours earlier. If I depended on that, I'd be dead.
    vrs626 likes this.
    01-24-12 08:33 AM
    Unfortunately, people push their biases on their friends and family, when it comes to suggesting 'the appropriate phone'.
    I don't know why some many here feel that AAPL and Android are garbage just because they prefer BB.

Tribalism-based philosophies.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    01-24-12 08:37 AM
    I don't know why some many here feel that AAPL and Android are garbage just because they prefer BB.

Is that better or worse than those handful of people who are habitually negative about BB but yet dog a BB forum?
    01-24-12 08:46 AM
    BB doesn't have the specific app I have on my iPhone. There is no THV radar app supported by NOAA that shows specific storm tracks with paths, speed, direction and what it's got in it (Hail, rain, tornadoes). BB also doesn't have NOAA Radio nor does it have LiveSteam.

I have BeWeather on my S2. I have the Weather Channel on my S2. They both do notifications just fine but you want to hear something funny? I got 2 alerts yesterday morning for a tornado warning that was issued 12 hours earlier. If I depended on that, I'd be dead.
    No NOAA radio? What's this then? And why does it have to be a specific app that you have on your iphone?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 08:55 AM
    Is that better or worse than those handful of people who are habitually negative about BB but yet dog a BB forum?
    Don't know what you mean by 'dogging'. Their are extremes on either side. But that really doesn't have anything to do with my tribalism comment.

Criticism is a matter of perspective after all.
    01-24-12 08:57 AM

Why do you keep saying BB doesn't have NOAA radio? It does. I'm glad you like your iphone but please do a little research before you tell people that functionality doesn't exist.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 09:00 AM
    He's been brainwashed my apple.
    01-24-12 09:06 AM
    No NOAA radio? What's this then? And why does it have to be a specific app that you have on your iphone?
    Why do you keep saying BB doesn't have NOAA radio? It does. I'm glad you like your iphone but please do a little research before you tell people that functionality doesn't exist.
    I give up. You win. I'm a loser. I'd explain but it's about as productive as trying to herd chickens.

But this is the app I've got

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa-...mt=8&at=10l3Vy

I searched BBAW for the same thing for my S2. Downloaded one but it's not even close. It's nice and it works though.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...h/NOAA?lang=en

He's been brainwashed my apple.
    For the last time I'M A SHE! I've said it a dozen times in this thread. Are women not allowed to like hockey or something?
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 01-24-12 at 09:37 AM.
    01-24-12 09:22 AM

I dunno why but, this question really surprises me.
    Let's see hmmm could it possibly have anything to do with this is a a BLACKBERRY site? Just maybe? One thing you'll notice if you took the time is most of the time when someone says either is garbage is right after they put down blackberry and say apple or android is better.
    We are the helping sort. If you where to ask for help with your iphone or android. We would help you and do our dangest to get your problem resolved. We're tired of being bashed and reading things that are just not true.
    Tribalism? I can see that. An apple is welcome into the tribe anytime. The apple isn't going to spit on the blackberry though without the natives spitting back. Surely this is understandable.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 09:31 AM
    I give up. You win. I'm a loser. I'd explain but it's about as productive as trying to herd chickens.

App Store - NOAA Weather Radio

I searched BBAW for the same thing for my S2. Downloaded one but it's not even close. It's nice and it works though.

Search Results for "NOAA" - BlackBerry App World

For the last time I'M A SHE! I've said it a dozen times in this thread. Are women not allowed to like hockey or something?
    ColdSunshine, what you don't get is that there's many internet radio apps for blackberry that give you access to thousands of radio stations including NOAA radio, you don't need an app that does just one radio station.

Nobex Radio, TuneIn, Radio for Blackberry would be the most known 3, you are searching wrong.

Get it now? You are in fact spreading misinformation.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 09:51 AM
    ColdSunshine, what you don't get is that there's many internet radio apps for blackberry that give you access to thousands of radio stations including NOAA radio, you don't need an app that does just one radio station.

Nobex Radio, TuneIn, Radio for Blackberry would be the most known 3, you are searching wrong.

Get it now? You are in fact spreading misinformation.
    Whatever. This whole site is fact spreading misinformation. Do me a favor. Look at that NOAA app you mentioned. Tell me if there is a Memphis, TN feed or a Little Rock, AR feed. I'd do it, but my S2 is at home.

Again, this is like herding chickens. Does no good and all it does is hack you off because the chickens won't go where you want.

Keeping this on topic - THIS is why salespeople talk down about BB. Someone comes in to a Verizon store and asks if NOAA Radio - the specific app I linked - is available on BBAW. Salesman looks and like my search I linked shows nothing so he says no. Salesman doesn't know about the apps you mention that could get the feeds but maybe not the specific stations the customer wants. They also don't care. This is one way BB needs to step it up. Instead of hiding content inside another app, list a specific app so when someone asks, it's there
    01-24-12 09:59 AM
    whatever. This whole site is fact spreading misinformation. Do me a favor. Look at that noaa app you mentioned. Tell me if there is a memphis, tn feed or a little rock, ar feed. I'd do it, but my s2 is at home.

Again, this is like herding chickens. Does no good and all it does is hack you off because the chickens won't go where you want.

Keeping this on topic - this is why salespeople talk down about bb. Someone comes in to a verizon store and asks if noaa radio - the specific app i linked - is available on bbaw. Salesman looks and like my search i linked shows nothing so he says no. Salesman doesn't know about the apps you mention that could get the feeds but maybe not the specific stations the customer wants. They also don't care. This is one way bb needs to step it up. Instead of hiding content inside another app, list a specific app so when someone asks, it's there

no further comment!!!!!!!!!! Alright?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 10:09 AM
    no further comment!!!!!!!!!! Alright?
    Like I said earlier - you win. I'm a loser. Happy?
    01-24-12 10:14 AM
    Like I said earlier - you win. I'm a loser. Happy?
    I win what? It's not about winning, it's about you coming here and telling people what a blackberry can't do while it obviously (not to you) can, you just assume it can't. You didn't even believe us, we had to prove it.

What else can't your blackberry do? Maybe we can show you it can.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 10:20 AM
    i dont wanna beat up on sunshine either,because people do things differently.

I use the noaa full site on my phone you get the full radar with storm tracks and warning overlays and alerts.

the same screen and options accross all my devices.

does the iphone not handle the regular noaa site? (not being snippy though itsounds that way)

(also sorry for the typing ...this playbook is nice, but myfat fingers dont work on this glass kb)
    01-24-12 10:41 AM
    I would recommend Storm Watch app:

STORM WATCH provides graphical displays and text based information on your BlackBerry� covering current and forecast adverse weather conditions for the continental United States. Convective watches and warnings from the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma, Tropical Storm/Hurricane watches & warnings from the National Hurricane center in Miami, plus all Watches, Warnings, Advisories and Special Weather Statements, including Tsunami warnings, are available. All information is available by clicking on Icons and/or drilling down into the Maps, Charts and Radar displays.

STORM WATCH allows you to observe adverse weather events nationwide and track them in near real time. Plus, you can see what's coming up over the next few days by using the forecasts developed by SPC, NHC and the local WFOs.

In addition, NOAA meteorologists comment on trends via the WFO Forecaster Discussion page, SPC Meso Discussion page and WFO HWO (Hazardous Weather Outlook) page. And there's a graphical forecast function - obtained from NOAA's National Digital Database - which shows all types of forecast Adverse Weather. It's presented in 12 hour segments from the present day out 4 days into the future.

Finally, there is a Storm Chaser page that contains the standard suite of tools used by convective weather meteorologists and by those who go looking for Tornadoes as a hobby. These include Theta-E, CAPE, Lifted Index, Heliocity, Surface Temp, Dew Point. and Sea Level Press., Wind Speed, Direction, Temp and RH at 5K, 10K and 18K feet plus Vis, IR and WV Sat Imagery.

The graphics and text based forecasts and warnings are obtained from NOAA, directly from their servers, so the information is up-to-date and official. A detailed FAQ page instructs you how to get the most from the application and should be read prior to first use. Additional support via email is only a click away from inside the application.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 10:46 AM
    I win what? It's not about winning, it's about you coming here and telling people what a blackberry can't do while it obviously (not to you) can, you just assume it can't. You didn't even believe us, we had to prove it.

What else can't your blackberry do? Maybe we can show you it can.
    How about we leave it with this: It can't do what I want it to do. I'm elated that yours does. I chose a device that ultimately did what I wanted in addition to my S2, just as you did. End of discussion. I'm done.

i dont wanna beat up on sunshine either,because people do things differently.

I use the noaa full site on my phone you get the full radar with storm tracks and warning overlays and alerts.

the same screen and options accross all my devices.

does the iphone not handle the regular noaa site? (not being snippy though itsounds that way)

(also sorry for the typing ...this playbook is nice, but myfat fingers dont work on this glass kb)
    NOAA site works fine on both my S2 and iPhone but I prefer the app. The app shows storm tracks, damage reports, what the storm contains and speed of the storm where as the web version just has a motion radar and you can opt to overlay warning polygons or just have a map with only the polygons. I do have the site bookmarked on the S2 and listed as an app on my iPhone but it's not as precice as I want it to be, which apparently means I'm guilty of treason and must be executed.
    01-24-12 10:51 AM
    If they are really being that bad to you - request to speak with their manager. To ask you why you might prefer one device to another is one thing. To tell you that you dont want a specific product when you do is pure buffoonery
    Remember that it reflects poorly on a salesperson when they recommend a phone and the customer ends up returning it for something else. If a salesperson's experience is that the majority of blackberries sold are returned for something else, he will be preemptive and try to avoid this. i had this same problem with my dad who got a 9930. i have a 4s but the salesperson was just ripping RIM for all the returned/defective blackberries he was having to deal with.
    01-24-12 10:53 AM
    Whatever. This whole site is fact spreading misinformation. Do me a favor. Look at that NOAA app you mentioned. Tell me if there is a Memphis, TN feed or a Little Rock, AR feed. I'd do it, but my S2 is at home.

Keeping this on topic - THIS is why salespeople talk down about BB. Someone comes in to a Verizon store and asks if NOAA Radio - the specific app I linked - is available on BBAW. Salesman looks and like my search I linked shows nothing so he says no. Salesman doesn't know about the apps you mention that could get the feeds but maybe not the specific stations the customer wants. They also don't care. This is one way BB needs to step it up. Instead of hiding content inside another app, list a specific app so when someone asks, it's there
    TuneIn Radio. Search within the app for NOAA followed by city name (NOAA Memphis). That gets the exact NOAA channel for that area. It worked for Little Rock and where I live, too.

More like herding cattle with a bunch of drovers.

When you go into a carrier's store that carries dumb phones, feature phones, up to four different smartphone OSes, multiple versions of each, how is a sales person supposed to remember niche apps and whether they work on the OS version of a particular phone? The person who expects a sales rep to know about NOAA radio is the chicken herder, expecting to herd the chickens through the henhouse of the sales rep's brain. I've spent years working in fields that relied on weather info. If you're not in a similar niche, you're not likely to even have a clue what NOAA radio is, much less whether a phone brand or model has a working app for it. That requires some personal research.

That said, I haven't followed hockey closely in years. But where I grew up made me a Rangers fan. And eventually a switch to the Islanders. So, who's your favorite team, young lady?
    01-24-12 10:57 AM
    LOL!

This is so true. During the Blackberry Bold ads on the Rockin New Years Eve special, there were so many tweets about how "Blackberry's have touchscreens NOW?" or "Blackberry still makes phones?"

C'mon RIM, the Bold came out in August and its getting some ads in Jan 2012???

I really feel that if they would have pushed these ads in AUGUST, more people would have known about it and bought it.
    Well, had they advertised it as much in August, a lot more people would have been screaming thru the 'teething' phase, and may have hurt things worse.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-12 11:12 AM

Your right I'm not going where you want me to go. You can get chickens go where you want you just have to know what your doing.
    Your making my point. Sale reps don't know the platform so they can't demo it.
    I use weather bug for my weather app. Its works great.
    If yall would stop looking for the name you want and look for what you actually want you'll find more. There is such a thing as asking also.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 01-24-12 at 11:18 AM.
    01-24-12 11:12 AM

App Store - NOAA Weather Radio

Search Results for "NOAA" - BlackBerry App World

Tunein radio works for any location. It's a great app. I didn't insult you by the way.
    01-24-12 11:20 AM
    So anyways, back on topic: I too had an awful experience at my local Verizon store. Same things as many of yinz have mentioned. I was amazed that the store even had the 9930 and the Torch on display and WORKING. I was so ticked off at my VZW rep that I was ready to walk out of the store. (Got a free screen protector and case out of it since I made a semi-stink out of it.) It was all Blackberry bashing. I understand that those reps get paid more commission for Apple and Android phones and Blackberry isn't as lucrative, but stop turning me away from what I want. Some snippets of the things he told me: "Blackberry's going out of business." "We have Android phones with keyboards." "I guarantee that you'll be back to replace your Blackberry." (My favorite statement of all.) "Your conversations will get cut off, the phone will turn off by itself." I told him that I understood the risks, am a longtime BB user, and have tried and used Android and Apple, but I wanted to stick with Blackberry. Even as he was entering the sale, he kept on and on bashing Blackberry. And on top of that, he put my screen protector on half-a--ed and crooked and didn't even bother waiting for the phone to load up. He just handed it to me. I waited to make sure it was booted up before I left. When I asked him about the warranty replacement and insurance in the event the phone "bricks" and is unusable and I have to return it (no problems so far in the 3 weeks I've had it), he rudely said "yeah, you pay $25 for us to exchange it with a new one." Previously, the VZW reps would make sure my contacts were synced and that my email was set-up and then send me on my way (great service). This wasn't that big a deal as I know how to do all of that since I've been a Blackberry user for a while, but his attitude was definitely not pleasant despite reporting him to his manager. It's all about how you treat your loyal and longtime customers.

It's sad that Blackberry is getting all of this crap. I see all of my colleagues and friends switching to Apple or Android. (I refuse, REFUSE to give in to Apple and become "one of those" assimilated Apple users.) I love my 9930 and am excited for Blackberry's future in QNX phones. Coming from a Bold 9650 (old-reliable), I'm amazed how it is like stone-age to new-age in terms of speed and functionality for Blackberry. They are definitely going in the right direction and perhaps the 9900/9930s are stopgaps before QNX, but my gosh, if an OS7 device can actually hold its own to iPhone and most Android phones, then QNX should be exciting.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-24-12 11:24 AM
242 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD