This whole brand loyalty is really baffling me... why should you care who makes your phone... should we not care that the phone does what we want the way we want it.... My wife's LG 3G does everything my Z30 does ... sure BB is more secure ( you cannot root it ) and has the hub etc... but in the end therei is nothing the my z30 can do that my wife's LG cannot... all this if Blackberry does this or that I am leaving is getting tedious... face facts the BB brand as you understand it is dead... no more consumer phones..if any at all in the near future... BB cares about surviving through enterprise focus... I would have absolutely no issue switching to LG 3G... after using it for a while... cannot think of anything I would miss on my BB... remember these phones do all the same things.. albiet differently... and there in lies the rub.... BB for me right now does it best...it however does not make it the best... that is the problem of looking at world with a subjective versus reality.. in the end it simply does not matter... as much as we try to make it so...
    Yes your right. The LG can do just about everything the BlackBerry can do but like me. I went with an android phone and after a month, I went back to BlackBerry. I can't explain it, but BlackBerry flow is what makes the bb10 what it is and no android will ever be able to make that experience happen. Try the LG for a month and you shall see what I saw. BlackBerry flow and how it does this things is spot on. Can't say the same about android.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 06:24 PM
    I must not be using the same apps, as I find I don't really have much of a need for Google services. Maps is nice, and there is the odd small app I run across, but nothing in the "I must have this" category. Perhaps on the tablet there is a bit more.

Indeed, I would say one of the reasons I still use BlackBerry is because Google's entire business seems based on harvesting my data. As a friend recently put it: "Every time I install an app I feel like I'm giving up all of my personal info"

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    07-30-15 06:45 PM
    That is the answer right there. You don't see this as a problem? BlackBerry has the android run time on BlackBerry no? Yet, BlackBerry and Amazon aren't allowed to use Google play services. It's a former of control. I can see that making sense if BlackBerry was a security risk which we both know it is not. The only reason to this is to stop the progression of BlackBerry. Android once talked about IPHONE having said control yet here they are doing the same to other just because they won't use their OS as the main OS and not some emulator if you would want to call it that.

Posted via CB10
    Sure it's a problem, but it is what it is. BlackBerry is not in a position to change it.

As time goes on, more and more apps will require Google Play Services - like it or not. If you want apps you will need to have it. Period. Stamp your feet all you want, but those are the facts.

Ultimately, we will have two ecosystems: Apple, and GooglePlayServices-enabled Android.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-30-15 06:51 PM
    LG G2/G3 are more than quality phones with an operating system
    I found just equally as impressive to say any of the devices from Samsung.
    I agree with your view that if the base OS is converted to Android, Blackberry essentially won't be BB.
    Agreed. The G2 I have is a fine piece of hardware. Superb in fact. And to boot it was one of the only two phones that Verizon initially rolled out HD phone calls on. That and the Galaxy S5, which... my wife has. Lol. How's that for lucky?
    07-30-15 06:58 PM
    BB10 is dying? I just received an OS update like 2 weeks ago! Is it unpopular in terms of device market share running the OS? Yes. Does it have less apps than competitors? Yes. Would competitors be happy to see it cease all development? Some would but I honestly do not think they care as they have crushed it in terms of device sales. BB10 runs on perhaps 10 million devices, iOS runs on hundreds of millions of devices, Android runs on at least a billion devices. Ecosystems in the electronic/OS sense have essentially existed since the development of the second computer OS now some 7 decades ago. Ecosystems come and ecosystems go; it's a circle of life thing. I use devices for what they are and I choose BB10 for my personal device. I also run Windows 7 for work and an iPhone for work; I dislike them both with passion bordering on the pathological. OSes are designed to be as sticky as possible because literally trillions of dollars of wealth are at stake. So many people are stuck on iOS because they can't leave behind what they have accumulated. So many are stuck on Android/Google because they have tied themselves to Google services. This situation did not occur by accident. My signature is "device agnosticism or bust". My music, and books, and movies, and pictures, and contacts and data are mine forever, not until I switch OSes or if BB10 ceases to continue. I don't really care what OS you run on your devices. I choose BB10 on my device because it is the best OS for me. Who's with me?
    07-30-15 07:11 PM
    Yes it's been quiet. But then perhaps the leaks were sort of permitted before. Hard to tell from that.

But there's no traction in the general consumer market at all that I can see. I still will keep a BlackBerry phone at least as a second phone as long as they are making hardware.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-30-15 07:18 PM
    It does seem like BB is dying and for a couple of years now they said there was room for 3 platforms, Microsoft just closed that door,lol
    How so? Microsoft has given up on high end consumer phones for the most part. Pretty much stating a limited number of Windows 10 Mobile flagships will be made by them for enthusiasts and to maintain the platform for other mobile endeavors to come. And I am paraphrasing what Paul Thurrott said on Windows Weekly recently before anyone asks for a link. Just listen to the podcasts.

Microsoft found there's no room for a third platform. The idea there was ever a need for three popular choices was just speculation. The market only seems to want two.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Witmen likes this.
    07-30-15 07:23 PM
    They are also getting the updates out much more quickly but that's probably bad news on this board. Used to be I would still be griping for another four months about AT&T not providing th e update.

Guess we just have to gripe no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 07:25 PM
    Blackberry could have an overlay on the android player where it would emulate the google api for play services. No?
    07-30-15 07:30 PM
    Agreed. The G2 I have is a fine piece of hardware. Superb in fact. And to boot it was one of the only two phones that Verizon initially rolled out HD phone calls on. That and the Galaxy S5, which... my wife has. Lol. How's that for lucky?
    I owned a G2 prior to my Passport and I had no complaints about the G2
    other than it being slightly longer than my preference.
    If LG spent half the marketing money Apple and Samsung spend,more consumers
    would own the Gline.
    southlander and DarkJoker33 like this.
    07-30-15 07:37 PM
    Blackberry could have an overlay on the android player where it would emulate the google api for play services. No?
    That won't work unfortunately, because apps that require Google Play Services attempt to verify the signature of said Google Play Services to make sure it was issued by Google.

That's what patching apps like Lucky Patcher try to remove with varying degrees of success.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-30-15 07:54 PM
    Sure it's a problem, but it is what it is. BlackBerry is not in a position to change it.

As time goes on, more and more apps will require Google Play Services - like it or not. If you want apps you will need to have it. Period. Stamp your feet all you want, but those are the facts.

Ultimately, we will have two ecosystems: Apple, and GooglePlayServices-enabled Android.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Well I am glad that you've accepted what has become the norm. Good luck with that android variant. Enjoy

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 and sirius27 like this.
    07-30-15 07:59 PM
    That won't work unfortunately, because apps that require Google Play Services attempt to verify the signature of said Google Play Services to make sure it was issued by Google.

That's what patching apps like Lucky Patcher try to remove with varying degrees of success.
    That's right, plus it would be an enormous amount of work. Also, how would we send a notification back to a user who was using a set of fake google services? BB has no way to route those messages back unless developers maintain a different notification mechanism just for BB10 users. Nobody will do that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-30-15 08:05 PM
    Well I am glad that you've accepted what has become the norm. Good luck with that android variant. Enjoy

Posted via CB10
    What choice do I have?

I can either go with an Android device, built by BlackBerry, with deeply integrated BB10 features including HUB, gestures, and keyboard, OR buy an iPhone. I'll stick with the HUB option.

Windows ecosystem is worse than what we have now, so I'm not interested.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-30-15 08:05 PM
    Maybe it was BB who at the time was in 3rd place with market share,now Microsoft has taken over that position and plan on getting more with windows 10 on mobile.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-30-15 08:06 PM
    What choice do I have?

I can either go with an Android device, built by BlackBerry, with deeply integrated BB10 features including HUB, gestures, and keyboard, OR buy an iPhone. I'll stick with the HUB option.

Windows ecosystem is worse than what we have now, so I'm not interested.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    I hear ya. I'm just having a hard time swallowing this. It's like watching Trump win the Republican race....

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 08:09 PM
    Well you wouldn't think BB10 was dying by the size of the BB10 banners at the Security Summit.

BB10 is generations ahead of other platforms for security for DoD, Nato etc.

Sent via Passport!
    Ray Soto and John Villareal like this.
    07-30-15 08:11 PM
    I still think that BlackBerry and Google are working together along with Samsung etc.. to come up with a containerized work environment on Android devices.
    The competition for Android is Apple and Microsoft.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Remember that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    crackfinder likes this.
    07-30-15 08:13 PM
    Well you wouldn't think BB10 was dying by the size of the BB10 banners at the Security Summit.

Sent via Passport!
    I love BB10 too, but if they can't sell any, it doesn't matter.

I still think that no matter what happens with consumer phones, they will maintain a couple of BB10 options for the high security-conscious customers. They will probably have to strip the Android Runtime from those in order to comply with OHA rules again.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-30-15 08:15 PM
    I love BB10 too, but if they can't sell any, it doesn't matter.

I still think that no matter what happens with consumer phones, they will maintain a couple of BB10 options for the high security-conscious customers. They will probably have to strip the Android Runtime from those in order to comply with OHA rules again.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    I've been trying to figure out the Android/BB10 OHA agreement. (tentative/potential etc)

Niko over at N4BB mentioned that if BlackBerry offers a line of Android phones that Google would bless BB10 with Google Play services. That makes sense.

Many organizations make their own apps. So I'm curious to see how BlackBerry positions themselves going forward, with BB10,Android and the Android runtime.

We are in a silent time at BlackBerry. Makes me wonder if BB10 will be deployed as a GUI for the iot along with the QNX hyppervisor. BB10 has lateral deployment potential. I don't see BB10 going eol at all.

Sent via Passport!
    07-30-15 08:19 PM
    It's been five minutes now and still no update to BB10
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    07-30-15 08:29 PM

Sent via Passport!
    In business, you put up a brave face regardless of what the real situation is. Notice that in every PR statement, BlackBerry still says they are the global leader in communication world. We all know that is not the reality. This is also why every statement from Chen is scrutinized heavily and it does not inspire confidence in anyone about BlackBerry when Chen himself said he would abandon hardware if they continue to lose money. The "app neutrality" statement is another admission of how bad the situation is. While I applaud Chen for being forthcoming and realistic, but his statements about his own company is not encouraging.
    Donvald likes this.
    07-30-15 08:39 PM
    In business, you put up a brave face regardless of what the real situation is. Notice that in every PR statement, BlackBerry still says they are the global leader in communication world. We all know that is not the reality. This is also why every statement from Chen is scrutinized heavily and it does not inspire confidence in anyone about BlackBerry when Chen himself said he would abandon hardware if they continue to lose money. The "app neutrality" statement is another admission of how bad the situation is. While I applaud Chen for being forthcoming and realistic, but his statements about his own company is not encouraging.
    Well does BlackBerry not provide communications for G7, Nato,DoD etc? Pretty impressive list of communications clientele. IMHO BlackBerry is a/the leader in "communications" .What other Mobile solutions company has a complete end to end solution in the means of communications? And fully secure to boot. A global leader. Yes. BlackBerry is indeed a leader.

What BlackBerry lacks is the mobile computing prowess(apps,software etc). Not technologically. IMHO as many are aware. BlackBerry is in a position to provide autonomous end to end solutions for many lateral deployments.

Software is what's harming BlackBerry. This is where John"We are working on something " Chen, needs to step up and deliver on the app front etc.

Sent via Passport!
    John Villareal and DonTonyB like this.
    07-30-15 08:50 PM
    That is the answer right there. You don't see this as a problem? BlackBerry has the android run time on BlackBerry no? Yet, BlackBerry and Amazon aren't allowed to use Google play services. It's a former of control. I can see that making sense if BlackBerry was a security risk which we both know it is not. The only reason to this is to stop the progression of BlackBerry. Android once talked about IPHONE having said control yet here they are doing the same to other just because they won't use their OS as the main OS and not some emulator if you would want to call it that.

Posted via CB10
    You're wondering why Google is exerting control over its platform? This is what corporate entities (BBRY included) do.
    jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    07-30-15 08:52 PM
    Well does BlackBerry not provide communications for G7, Nato,DoD etc? Pretty impressive list of communications clientele.
    How many BB10 users do you think they have in total from all of these super high security cases?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-30-15 08:53 PM
243 1234 ...