A little story I would like to share that made me feel a little empty inside.

After school I was outside the gate and conversing with my mates when I pulled out my Q5 and called my mother like I usually do. Note almost every student in my school has a bloody iPhone 5S, 5C or 6 and even 6+.

My friend proceeds to comment and says: "so you're still on the Blackberry wave?" and I replied with a short 'yea'. Then my other friend (who is one my best friends) says that BlackBerry sold their company a while ago and he learnt it in Economics. Where did he get that from?! I proceeded to correct him but he still wouldn't believe me when I said they have making a resurgence since John Chen took the helm and all they did was change their name from RIM to BlackBerry.

Where did he get the impression that BlackBerry sold themselves off? I've also noticed that people frequently ask "Is that a BlackBerry?!" or "why are you still using a BlackBerry? " when I'm using my Q5.

I find it quite irritating and sad that people think BlackBerry has gone to rot away in a corner to be never heard from again. They've all joined the iSheep and bought iPhones because their Blackberries had issues that are so simple to fix!

Now I don't have a problem with iPhones but I just think there are far better options out there with a lower price range. I wouldn't say that BlackBerries are superior, but they are just as good as iPhones. I doubt any of my friends have even heard of BB10 and it's capabilities. My mates were even shocked to hear I have crossy road on a Blackberry!

This may have turned into a rant but I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with their friends, family or co-workers. Do you think people need to be better informed about all phones and not just Blackberries? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Small Edit: It may appear that I was upset about what my friend said, but I was actually irritated that people still think that about BlackBerry. I'll use be using BlackBerry for a very long time .

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    Last edited by SpartanSK117; 03-14-15 at 09:02 PM.
    Meshdow, 1khalid, NYTOC83 and 5 others like this.
    03-12-15 11:15 AM
    Just realised I posted this in the wrong section... My apologies.

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    03-12-15 11:17 AM
    People can't believe that my Z30 is a Blackberry. One of my friends went out and got one after he saw mine.
    As long as they're around, customer for life!

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 01:03 PM
    It is a strange world indeed.

Off-topic maybe but: doesn't "mate" implies that you are close friends? Just wondering.

-Friends don't let Friends drive iPhones.
    03-12-15 01:06 PM
    Lol here in india I got my Q10 for like 350$ and my friends, who had no knowledge whatsoever of BlackBerry at first thought good looking phone and after hearing the price they were like, dude for that amount of money you could have bought a very good phone.

And I was like a very good phone? Why not this Great phone.

Posted via my Q10
    03-12-15 01:13 PM
    And I do have 2 of my friends who always follow my phone selection since last 5 years. From HTC to Blackberry 9220 and now The amazing Q10

Posted via my Q10
    03-12-15 01:15 PM
    You should ask them to use google to show you where it got sold.

By the way ask them to take a picture with their camera app then share it directly from within the app to instagram.

It gets my friends all the time. Because they can't do it. Hehe

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 04:24 PM
    When people make disparaging comments about BlackBerry in general and my Z30 in particular and offer as "proof" that there are far more iPhone and Android phone users, I usually retort with a "So what?" and point out that far more people drive Fords and Toyotas than drive Rolls-Royces and Bentleys.
    03-12-15 04:37 PM
    Lol your best friend learned in economics class that BlackBerry was sold. That's too funny.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 05:19 PM
    I've always heard that iphone users are generally not the brightest canes on the room and this confirms it. "Learnt it in Economics"!! What the hell are they teaching those kids at your school?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 06:01 PM
    LOL who taught that BlackBerry is sold out. My friends also ask me too "why are you still using bb,why not samsung or iphone, they are great" I just reply them "BlackBerry is unique, all people are using samsung and iphone. ME? BlackBerry so it's unique"

Posted via CB10
    coloibarra and seluje like this.
    03-12-15 06:24 PM
    Y'know what... I've seen way too many people here in Toronto pull out their iPhone thinking they have the best look, the best money, the best clothing, the best attitude... the best personality.. the best job.. the best "phone".. LMAO (please).. it's a toy not a phone, let's be serious now; I imagine every 6-9 year old in the GTA would bring their mom or dad's iPhone for show & tell and say they know how to use it... uh huh.

A few cousins in my family still are under the impression that BlackBerry went out of business two years ago, it baffles me that people only pay attention to the news surrounding a product that doesn't actually make the news but makes people believe there is something to talk about. When I bring up the BlackBerry I have (z30).. they ask me, didn't you have the other one (being the z10).. I say to them yes I did but BlackBerry upgraded things and I had issues with their first model.

I can't stress enough how many people I see around the downtown core (King, Bay, Queen street areas).. and more midtown and out of town folks using... The BlackBerry Q5, The BlackBerry Bold, The BlackBerry Classic and more so than not, many women more than men here in the GTA are actually using the BlackBerry PassPort for work and their personal business that is partly work but independent stuff. I've literally walked up to everyone I've seen with the new BlackBerry 10 line and asked them about their phone experience and what they use it for.

I hope this doesn't come off as being racist, but I've seen around York and UofT that residents of the Asia Pacific and South Asian communities are so entrenched into the world of iPhones/Apple products, there is this sense of prestige which I notice to others is seen as a fa�ade or some kind of fake personality they put forth to make people appreciate them or like them to a whole other extent just because of what they hold in their hands. This isn't the sense of mentality that people see in someone holding a BlackBerry... the way I've seen someone or anyone with a BB device carry themselves is far more dignified and presentable, they don't "sell themselves out" ( I was going to use pimp) instead but you get the idea.

I don't know or understand the drive behind these people in society, Apple is like a toy... you take it away from the world's children and they'll cry that they can't live without their candy coated apple. How is it that BlackBerry isn't held in a higher regard when it can damn well do twice the things and 10x's more the stuff than that of an Apple product? BlackBerry doesn't release a BB 10A, BB 10B, BB 10C every 6 months adding or subtracting features while attempting to make its users believe that one phone going forward was better than the previous, meanwhile, what they have going forward has lost what other versions once carried. BlackBerry doesn't screw its consumers to this extent, we've had to wait patiently knowing at least when this company puts a device out, they don't flood the market trying to release another device that will **** in the face of customers who wish they hadn't bought the previous one 6 months ago.
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    03-12-15 06:30 PM
    people always give me crap bc I have a blackberry.
    but surprisingly I get a lot of compliments on my device
    Blackberry has a unique shock factor once seen.
    so many people are misinformed on blackberry and it's sad.
    I live in an area where its very rare to find a blackberry around.
    I am one of the few and I'm proud of it. The blackberry aesthetic, matches my personality and likeness to a tee! Never using another cellular device again. Once you go Black, there's no going back!

posted via "Coke White" q10 on VZW
    NYTOC83 and nevertoofar like this.
    03-12-15 07:11 PM
    fav question: "Why do you have a Blackberry, arent those old?

posted via "Coke White" q10 on VZW
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    03-12-15 07:13 PM
    Y'know what... I've seen way too many people here in Toronto pull out their iPhone thinking they have the best look, the best money, the best clothing, the best attitude... the best personality.. the best job.. the best "phone".. LMAO (please).. it's a toy not a phone, let's be serious now; I imagine every 6-9 year old in the GTA would bring their mom or dad's iPhone for show & tell and say they know how to use it... uh huh.

A few cousins in my family still are under the impression that BlackBerry went out of business two years ago, it baffles me that people only pay attention to the news surrounding a product that doesn't actually make the news but makes people believe there is something to talk about. When I bring up the BlackBerry I have (z30).. they ask me, didn't you have the other one (being the z10).. I say to them yes I did but BlackBerry upgraded things and I had issues with their first model.

I can't stress enough how many people I see around the downtown core (King, Bay, Queen street areas).. and more midtown and out of town folks using... The BlackBerry Q5, The BlackBerry Bold, The BlackBerry Classic and more so than not, many women more than men here in the GTA are actually using the BlackBerry PassPort for work and their personal business that is partly work but independent stuff. I've literally walked up to everyone I've seen with the new BlackBerry 10 line and asked them about their phone experience and what they use it for.

I hope this doesn't come off as being racist, but I've seen around York and UofT that residents of the Asia Pacific and South Asian communities are so entrenched into the world of iPhones/Apple products, there is this sense of prestige which I notice to others is seen as a fa�ade or some kind of fake personality they put forth to make people appreciate them or like them to a whole other extent just because of what they hold in their hands. This isn't the sense of mentality that people see in someone holding a BlackBerry... the way I've seen someone or anyone with a BB device carry themselves is far more dignified and presentable, they don't "sell themselves out" ( I was going to use pimp) instead but you get the idea.

I don't know or understand the drive behind these people in society, Apple is like a toy... you take it away from the world's children and they'll cry that they can't live without their candy coated apple. How is it that BlackBerry isn't held in a higher regard when it can damn well do twice the things and 10x's more the stuff than that of an Apple product? BlackBerry doesn't release a BB 10A, BB 10B, BB 10C every 6 months adding or subtracting features while attempting to make its users believe that one phone going forward was better than the previous, meanwhile, what they have going forward has lost what other versions once carried. BlackBerry doesn't screw its consumers to this extent, we've had to wait patiently knowing at least when this company puts a device out, they don't flood the market trying to release another device that will **** in the face of customers who wish they hadn't bought the previous one 6 months ago.
    I wonder how CrackBerries would react if they took away their phones
    03-12-15 07:25 PM
    No marketing, no attractive devices, no ecosystem -> unpopular devices.
    03-12-15 07:26 PM
    I've had a similar reaction. A client of mine was shocked I had a BlackBerry. She's a young iphone user and I told her ' I need my keys'. My brother was switched from BlackBerry to Android and he misses the BlackBerry. He hates the android he has but the company pays for it so it's what it is. He said the android (Samsung galaxy) is slow, typing without keys sucks and it always has glitches. So, the moral of this story? All phones have problems and there is a phone for everyone. I need keys and find BlackBerry easy enough to figure out.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 07:31 PM
    Pretty simple answer...in today's busy world... BB is just not on most people's radar so to speak... they have heard from everybody and their dog that the company is dead or going bankrupt for the last 3 years... If you follow BB which most do not...you would know it is BS.... but to the masses it is true ....considering the carriers are the the main source of smartphone purchases..... Apple and Android have 95 percent of the market wrapped up... the carriers have a vested interest in selling Iphones and Android over anything else.. Most carrier reps actually believe BB is either dead, dying or old technology and have no problem letting the consumer know such......thus the myth is perpetuated.....For the last number of years... BB has done nothing to dispel the myth of BB being dead...not in the consumer market.. not with the carriers......If you live in the world of Apple or Android... you are current with the happenings on those platforms... unless you are looking to change platforms you would have no reason to even know BB is alive and kicking with new devices and a crackerjack OS.... Ignorance is truly bliss and as most non BB users are blissful in their choice why would they know otherwise.... This why most non BB users are wowed when actually shown or using a BB device... sad state of affairs which I am afraid may never end..... BB die hards can only tilt at windmills so long.....
    nglfmark likes this.
    03-12-15 07:46 PM
    Phones nowadays have became a religion. People just judge u based on the phone u use, I don't understand. As long as the phone serves my needs, I don't care what brand is the phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 07:50 PM
    At McDonald's today, there was an old man probably around 70 with, I'm guessing his Grandson, of about 13-14 age. He looked like it was some new Android phone (I heard something about paying off the tab and having a $160 first bill).

I couldn't make out what was exactly said, but my imagination of filling in words makes it sound like he got the parts to repair his older BlackBerry and fixed it himself, so he can use it until he gets a slider! The old man sounded like he was talking about BlackBerry slider phone in a positive way, and the kid was listening intently. I get the impression this was a good values kid (respectful), not those punk kids these days:P

Now get off my lawn!
    03-12-15 08:58 PM
    Definitely the transition from bbos to bb10 was a little rough, ok really rough. It's in a technology market where 6 months is like a decade. If the phones were cars that delay would not be as problematic, in technology it is deadly to get the product out after a long delay. The phones should have been released when the PlayBook came out with at least 10.2. That was not possible for BlackBerry. I have had some issues with apps in the beginning but not now. I'm craving the passport but I have only two carriers in my region and I will never go back to att. I may have convinced a person that helps medical pot dispensaries to recommend BlackBerry and their bes. In our state the law passed but many people are going to prison or at least being harassed by the state police.
    03-12-15 09:02 PM
    About 5 months ago I got in a car accident. I had to handle a number of different pieces of business (phone calls, emails, looking for dealerships etc.) while I was off from work and my Q10 handled all of it nicely. But everywhere I went (tow company, rental facility, car dealerships) I got the same question:

"Is that a BlackBerry? Do they still make those?"

I answered with pictures of the BlackBerry Passport and the BlackBerry Classic. People were shocked. Then I'd hear old reminiscences of Curves and Pearls and Bolds of legend in the minds of iPhone and Android users. Most of these were fond memories too.

BlackBerry has a tendency to remind people of their introduction to smartphones. While many have gone to what they believe are greener pastures, they never lost the precious memory of that Berry that stuck with them.

I may be planning to dual wield BlackBerry and Android but as long as there's a BlackBerry for me to get, I will always carry one.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:24 PM
    OP, you shouldn't care about what people think of your phone.

It's your choice, you like the phone so end of conversation.

These threads have been repeated for so long on CrackBerry lol
    03-13-15 05:44 AM
    Two weeks ago I was at a seminar on Internet of things in industry. I was sitting at table with some gentlemen iv never met. Anyway at some point I pull out my passport to take some notes and during one of the breaks they finally ask " is that a Blackberry" "yes it is" I hand it over so they can look at it, give them a quick demo. Now another gentleman comes over and starts asking questions. In the end they are very impressed. They are iPhone users and to my surprise they hate the iPhone and will try blackberry as there next phone. I did explain apps are not as plentiful showed them bbworld and amazon then they said apps were not a issue for them
    03-13-15 07:29 AM
    As a communication device, Blackberry's are top of the line. Most models have a high end quality of build. So if this is what you want in your phone, you will be pleased with your selection.

Unfortunately, we all know prior management didn't get on the full touch band wagon until way too late. The lengthy transition bled off all the cache and good will that came with a "Crackberry" device. It also wrote off native app development. There is no way around that conclusion and since apps define the phone in most people's minds, Blackberry became an also ran. If we all are honest, Android apps don't run as well on BB10 as on Android devices. Some don't run at all, patch or no. We can be disappointed by this but it is an unavoidable truth.
    I require several apps for work. Most have deteriorated with each upgrade of BB10. Some no longer work at all and I've been lucky that Snap keeps the old apk so I can go back. There still is no cross platform "Facetime" type app for BB10 (no BBM video for Android/iPhone). As my Z10 is slowing down, I am going to get a new phone soon. I feel bad that the all touch device that fits me best will be an iPhone. Maybe the slider will woo me, but that is a bit far off. These comments are out of sadness really. Every time I use an iPhone, that home button just annoys me!
    03-13-15 07:34 AM
155 123 ...