Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    After being on BBM since 2006-07 timeframe, I had to delete the app this morning after it quit working and was shut down permanently.

I know we where are aware of this day, but sad to see it come to an end. I did however install the new BBMe app and stated an account.

I already have 10 contacts and growing. Most of my old BBM groups have transitioned to WhatsApp because most folks will not want to pay for an app they only used for our group chats.

But, it’s called technology and it’s charging all the time and the old saying that still holds true in this business is you either adapt or get pushed aside and I choose to adapt.
    nothingworks and littlebuff like this.
    05-31-19 02:19 PM
    I think we need a Good-by thread for BBMc....
    bakron1 and ppeters914 like this.
    05-31-19 02:32 PM
    I never used BBMc on any platform except BB10. I was turned off by the ads and stickers, and the inability to sync with BB10. Kind of wishing I'd at least tried it, but looking forward to using, and paying for BBMe. If they had made BBMe easier to license back in 2013, I'd have signed up a lot of professional users. Now I have my clients and vendors use Slack, Signal, Teams, or Hangouts Chat.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-31-19 06:58 PM
    Signal is free. Teams or Slack are fairly feature rich for enterprise.
    05-31-19 09:50 PM
    RIP BBMc.

I remember back between 2010-2013 how huge BBM was here in South Africa, there were even songs about it by popular local artists.

Such as this one:
    PantherBlitz and bakron1 like this.
    06-01-19 06:15 AM
    Most of my BBM contacts have moved over to BBME. For my business staff, we made the move over to Teams since it's part of our tenant, and it integrates better with our overall environment.

I'll miss BBM as a consumer product, but the back to basics approach of BBME has been refreshing, though I was sad to see some of my stickers go.
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-01-19 07:14 AM
    I'm disappointed that even though they had some time to transition, BlackBerry Ltd didn't even bother making it possible to migrate groups and contacts to BBMe. One would think there was some revenue opportunity for them under a subscription model?

The 6 month free trial period on BBMe is great, but what they did is like giving someone a gift and then kicking them in the rear end.

Par for the course, I suppose. But certainly not a good way to inspire faith in what lies ahead.
    bakron1 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-01-19 07:18 AM
    I'm disappointed that even though they had some time to transition, BlackBerry Ltd didn't even bother making it possible to migrate groups and contacts to BBMe. One would think there was some revenue opportunity for them under a subscription model?

The 6 month free trial period on BBMe is great, but what they did is like giving someone a gift and then kicking them in the rear end.

Par for the course, I suppose. But certainly not a good way to inspire faith in what lies ahead.
    Emtek BBM and BlackBerry BBM had diverged so greatly tech-wise that it would have been a monumental task to make the transition any easier than it was.

I still believe that had they moved every last BBM user to BBMe, and retained even 25% of them when it became time to pay, it would have been a losing proposition for them anyway. The user base is just too tiny.
    06-01-19 08:36 AM
    Emtek BBM and BlackBerry BBM had diverged so greatly tech-wise that it would have been a monumental task to make the transition any easier than it was.

I still believe that had they moved every last BBM user to BBMe, and retained even 25% of them when it became time to pay, it would have been a losing proposition for them anyway.
    Perhaps.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    06-01-19 08:37 AM

My impression is that BlackBerry didn't have much time to transition. EMTEK'S announcement gave a very short time. BlackBerry had to act fast to give the option to people for the BBMe accounts. There wasn't enough time to work out a more smooth transition.
    illsince1977 likes this.
    06-01-19 09:55 AM
    My impression is that BlackBerry didn't have much time to transition. EMTEK'S announcement gave a very short time. BlackBerry had to act fast to give the option to people for the BBMe accounts. There wasn't enough time to work out a more smooth transition.
    That's the impression we were all left with, yes. How much of an accident it was is another issue. All we know for certain is what they offered us in return for what was lost, and the consequences of that decision.
    06-01-19 11:28 AM
    Bbmc lives on via BB10.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    06-01-19 01:22 PM
    Bbmc lives on via BB10.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    For now...let's see at the end of this year...
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-01-19 09:10 PM
    I don't understand the feeling of loss for BBMc as it morphed into with Emteck. It became so bloated and ad filled. My wife and I used BBM exclusively from our 9000 Curve's through my Classic and her Z30 usage. Once it transitioned while using our DTEK50's and the ads and bloat hit we quickly became disenfranchised. We switched to simple text messaging and some Whatsapp. My wife won't even use WhatsApp anymore. We simply text or use Messenger when on our tablets.
    06-02-19 10:56 PM
    I'm sad to see BBM go, but its nice to know that BBME is still an available option. Man, I remember loading up BBM on my very first BlackBerry Pearl and thinking how awesome it was. So many people at that time started using BlackBerry's and BBM was just too cool. Pinging people back and forth in the day was really great.
    06-03-19 09:00 AM
    I'm sad to see BBM go, but its nice to know that BBME is still an available option. Man, I remember loading up BBM on my very first BlackBerry Pearl and thinking how awesome it was. So many people at that time started using BlackBerry's and BBM was just too cool. Pinging people back and forth in the day was really great.
    Yeah back in 2007 in my industry... if you didn't have BBM, you were not in business.
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-03-19 11:04 AM
    I don't understand the feeling of loss for BBMc as it morphed into with Emteck. It became so bloated and ad filled. My wife and I used BBM exclusively from our 9000 Curve's through my Classic and her Z30 usage. Once it transitioned while using our DTEK50's and the ads and bloat hit we quickly became disenfranchised. We switched to simple text messaging and some Whatsapp. My wife won't even use WhatsApp anymore. We simply text or use Messenger when on our tablets.
    I think you and your wife would like BBMe then. It is streamlined, without the ads and bloat. But it has better features than texting and, of course, it is very secure, as well. I am finding it to be refreshing.
    PS: Additionally, you can set it up on up to 5 devices. With my BBM account I had to have 2 accounts, one for my PRIV and one for my KEYone.
    06-03-19 12:10 PM
    Not a sad day at all, the Emtek version of BBM sucked as far as I was concerned. I was contemplating paying for the full BBM Enterprise version when the announcement was made that BlackBerry were making this version available to non-enterprise consumers. Everyone on my contact's list who was able to made the switch, with the exception of 2xBB10 and 1xBBOS contacts, and I've picked up two more contacts in the process; friends of mine who were using other apps who jumped at the chance to switch as soon as they knew about it.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-03-19 at 01:08 PM.
    06-03-19 12:35 PM
    Yeah back in 2007 in my industry... if you didn't have BBM, you were not in business.
    I agree 100% and it also said you where a professional, which is something that is gone in this era of smartphones because everyone has one and no device really stands out like Blackberry did.
    06-03-19 07:59 PM
    I agree 100% and it also said you where a professional, which is something that is gone in this era of smartphones because everyone has one and no device really stands out like Blackberry did.
    You guys were all in a very different industry. I have been working in the business side of Enterprise software for 25 plus years. I only ever knew a few people in the tech world with BBOS.
    06-04-19 12:12 AM
    You guys were all in a very different industry. I have been working in the business side of Enterprise software for 25 plus years. I only ever knew a few people in the tech world with BBOS.
    I wasn’t talking about enterprise software, I was referring to what smartphones and email services folks where using in the early days in the smartphone industry and for myself and the folks I worked with in the auto industry, it was Blackberry.
    06-04-19 07:37 AM