Not in the OP articles. I'll have to try and remember where I saw the article about it.. it was back in the winter I saw it circulating. It even got to Rovio issuing a statement how it was related to their ad partners and they have to change them

But I assume now you also meant "no name" apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 01:42 PM
    Not in the OP articles. I'll have to try and remember where I saw the article about it.. it was back in the winter I saw it circulating. It even got to Rovio issuing a statement how it was related to their ad partners and they have to change them

Posted via CB10
    I just posted a link ^^^^

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 01:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    No worries, crackberryfan found it.
    08-06-14 02:05 PM
    I just posted a link ^^^^

Posted via CB10
    And this is the reason I don't use Android banking apps. And I've got Norton and AVG running.
    Imagine how much more vulnerable through dodgy sites.
    08-06-14 02:06 PM
    And this is the reason I don't use Android banking apps. And I've got Norton and AVG running.
    Imagine how much more vulnerable through dodgy sites.
    That's correct, here is an article called enemy inside the gates. There are some measures that should be followed, however even one of the measures the Kapersky app, was copied into the GPS with a virus. For my part and experience it's just too much to worry about, the dangers and potential dangers far outweigh my desire to use an Android. Hope you have a great day! Hugs!

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/goo...ide-the-gates/

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 02:11 PM
    That's correct, here is an article called enemy inside the gates. There are some measures that should be followed, however even one of the measures the Kapersky app, was copied into the GPS with a virus. For my part and experience it's just too much to worry about, the dangers and potential dangers far outweigh my desire to use an Android. Hope you have a great day! Hugs!

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/goo...ide-the-gates/

Posted via CB10
    Yup. I understand and agree more than perhaps you think.

Thanks, love. Take care.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-14 02:36 PM
    Of interest Android apps were also infected. Some reported cases of IOS, nothing was reported with BlackBerry. Many computer already compromised, beware.
    Blackberry hardly has any native apps. Plus, with the introduction of the Amazon app store and focus on enterprise, Android apps have become the de facto apps for Blackberry devices. Nothing to gloat about really.
    08-06-14 02:41 PM
    Blackberry hardly has any native apps. Plus, with the introduction of the Amazon app store and focus on enterprise, Android apps have become the de facto apps for Blackberry devices. Nothing to gloat about really.
    I'm not gloating in the least, I don't and will not use Android apps on my BlackBerry's and I'm on BES, though BlackBerry stated that Android apps are sandboxed and have now partnered to further vet Android applications, I will NOT use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 02:47 PM
    I'm not gloating in the least, I don't and will not use Android apps on my BlackBerry's and I'm on BES, though BlackBerry stated that Android apps are sandboxed and have now partnered to further vet Android applications, I will NOT use it.

Posted via CB10
    This is actually a topic I would really like BlackBerry to address in how the QNX kernel handles this sort of issue, whether it native BlackBerry, android port to BlackBerry or us loading on the android apk.

With so many of the apps we get from BlackBerry World itself being direct android ports, even some of the bank apps included. Plus with android being sandboxed does that mean android apps can mess around with that android sandbox too? Cause if one app has access to contacts etc and another app has malware, what's to stop it from spreading within the sandbox itself

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-14 03:09 PM
    This is actually a topic I would really like BlackBerry to address in how the QNX kernel handles this sort of issue, whether it native BlackBerry, android port to BlackBerry or us loading on the android apk.

With so many of the apps we get from BlackBerry World itself being direct android ports, even some of the bank apps included. Plus with android being sandboxed does that mean android apps can mess around with that android sandbox too? Cause if one app has access to contacts etc and another app has malware, what's to stop it from spreading within the sandbox itself

Posted via CB10
    All very good questions, hence my complete reluctance to allow them. I hope that they address it.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-14 03:14 PM
    The other and likely more important issue is the information (username + passwords) from the app stored on the app developer's servers.

I had gotten the impression from the news headlines that a lot of the security vulnerabilities exploited in fact came from the servers and not the clients (pc/smartphones/etc.). This is the more efficient hacking method and how the hackers were able to attain billions of passwords.

Sandbox and device security offers no protection against server exploits whatsoever. The best approach is to use different passwords for every site.
    08-06-14 03:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    To use your contacts, and media, if you create a contact or add photos/music/video it copies to the android side for use there. I tried out a little experiment with creating and deleting things using one of the Android launchers (included contacts app, browser, media viewer, etc). I could create contacts and add media on the device side (BlackBerry) and view with the launcher's apps because it all copies over, but if I tried deleting anything it only deleted the copy on the Android side. NOTE: this only applies to onboard/device memory for the media aspect - the player appears to have direct access to external memory. AFAIK the Android apps have no direct access outside the sandbox to the system itself, but I may have missed a memo between then and now.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 04:06 PM
    The other and likely more important issue is the information (username + passwords) from the app stored on the app developer's servers.

I had gotten the impression from the news headlines that a lot of the security vulnerabilities exploited in fact came from the servers and not the clients (pc/smartphones/etc.). This is the more efficient hacking method and how the hackers were able to attain billions of passwords.

Sandbox and device security offers no protection against server exploits whatsoever. The best approach is to use different passwords for every site.
    I agree on that too, I have decided a while back that all my apps that have no reason to know my name get a signed up to a separate account specifically with zero personal info separate from my main emails in the event that it is the developers server that's compromised

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 04:07 PM
    To use your contacts, and media, if you create a contact or add photos/music/video it copies to the android side for use there. I tried out a little experiment with creating and deleting things using one of the Android launchers (included contacts app, browser, media viewer, etc). I could create contacts and add media on the device side (BlackBerry) and view with the launcher's apps because it all copies over, but if I tried deleting anything it only deleted the copy on the Android side. NOTE: this only applies to onboard/device memory for the media aspect - the player appears to have direct access to external memory. AFAIK the Android apps have no direct access outside the sandbox to the system itself, but I may have missed a memo between then and now.

Posted via CB10
    So by this you mean if I save my pics etc on my BlackBerry device, android can view but not edit, but if I save the media on my SD card then the android side can edit? Thanks for the info btw, I don't know how to play with those things to experiment

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 04:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    The following is what developers are told by BlackBerry for apps that will be created natively or ported, perhaps you can draw your own conclusions.

The BlackBerry 10 OS is a multitasking operating system built on the QNX Neutrino RTOS. The OS implements the minimum amount of software in the kernel space and runs other processes in the user space. By running most processes in the user space, the BlackBerry 10 OS can manage unresponsive processes in isolation. This architecture creates a responsive and secure environment by preventing damage to the operating system and other running applications.

The BlackBerry 10 OS is tamper-resistant, resilient, secure, and efficient:

Tamper-resistant
    The OS performs an integrity test before it starts. If the integrity test reveals damage, the OS doesn't start.
    Resilient
    Processes can be restarted without impacting other processes or applications. All applications run in the user space. An app that fails doesn't affect the kernel.
    Secure
    The OS validates requests for system resources. An authorization manager evaluates requests from applications to access OS capabilities. For example, when an application requests access to the camera, the authorization manager displays a dialog box that specifies the capability requested, and provides the user with the opportunity to grant or decline access to that capability. In addition, the OS is designed to verify the authenticity of applications. All applications must be signed by the BlackBerry Signing Authority.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-06-14 05:45 PM
    Yup. I understand and agree more than perhaps you think.

Thanks, love. Take care.
    Just curious how many devices do you use? I know that summer and I both have about the same number and types of devices but focus on BlackBerry and iOS but I never really understood yours, not that its any of my business of course
    08-06-14 10:43 PM
    Just curious how many devices do you use? I know that summer and I both have about the same number and types of devices but focus on BlackBerry and iOS but I never really understood yours, not that its any of my business of course
    As far as recently quoted by Q, she uses a 5S, Note 3 and now a 1520. I think she gave up on her Q10 recently because of the lack of banking apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 10:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Same exact thoughts/scenario.
    Agreed a 100%.

If I'd be an app person, that would be a huge issue for me though.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 12:18 AM
    As far as recently quoted by Q, she uses a 5S, Note 3 and now a 1520. I think she gave up on her Q10 recently because of the lack of banking apps.

Posted via CB10
    I dont see the need for banking apps in my life haha but to each their own. One platform simply didnt offer what she needed. At least another one is.
    08-07-14 03:37 AM
    Yeah, this incident should get BlackBerry and Chen motivated to push the security of BLACKBERRY even the more.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    08-07-14 04:33 AM
    I currently use an iPhone 5s as my primary device and an iPad. I've also got an iPod and will be getting a MacBook Pro.

I currently use an SGIII with a cracked screen that I managed to save after it dropped down a flight of cement stairs. I've got it in an Otterbox Defender case now (I don't know what I was thinking using my phone naked) and I'm waiting for the Note 4.

I've just bought a red Lumia 1520. This OS is brand new to me but I've been wanting to try it for a while.

I've got three lines so I run these devices concurrently.

I've got a Q10 which I've recently retired because as much as I love the device itself and BB10, I am not following BlackBerry down the path it's chosen.

Let me know if you've got further questions.

Posted via CB10
    You've got that quite close.

I've actually got a work issued Note 2. However, that is strictly a work device and not for personal use. I keep personal/work separate, always have and always will.

And I'm not using the Q10 anymore not just for the lack of banking apps but others as well. I actually found the apps I wanted and use regularly on the WP Store or already on the Lumia.

I dont see the need for banking apps in my life haha but to each their own. One platform simply didnt offer what she needed. At least another one is.
    There comes a time when financial management rises in importance and being able to do it on the go is appreciated. I've reached that time.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-07-14 07:25 AM
    Don't American banks have usable mobile sites? I use apps for the two Canadian banks I deal with, but if the apps weren't available, their mobile sites are just as good.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:45 AM
    Don't American banks have usable mobile sites? I use apps for the two Canadian banks I deal with, but if the apps weren't available, their mobile sites are just as good.

Posted via CB10
    Mobile sites are not as good as native apps IMO..

I hate mobile site and only use them if I have to.
    08-07-14 08:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    The sites are there but there are features in one of my banks that are not there on the website. So no, actually the sites are not as good.

Also I like my Geico app because it's got an image of my insurance cards. Very handy when going to the DMV. Having the app on my SGIII last year saved me a 40 minute round trip when I went for my renewal on my car registration and I came to realise I'd forgotten the envelope with the card on the kitchen counter.

Besides that, they are convenient. And because they are convenient I want them. And at this point in time, I want the same conveniences on my device as are available.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-07-14 at 09:17 AM.
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    08-07-14 09:02 AM
    I currently use an iPhone 5s as my primary device and an iPad. I've also got an iPod and will be getting a MacBook Pro.

I currently use an SGIII with a cracked screen that I managed to save after it dropped down a flight of cement stairs. I've got it in an Otterbox Defender case now (I don't know what I was thinking using my phone naked) and I'm waiting for the Note 4.

I've just bought a red Lumia 1520. This OS is brand new to me but I've been wanting to try it for a while.
    How do you like the 1520 Ive been meaning to get one but its quite too expensive on a student budget. Im also getting a new MacBook Pro because i need it for school in london since the warranty apparently is worldwide i dont have to worry about apple care. My ex has an SGS3 He loved it but when i got him a 5S i never saw the SGS3 ever again haha. Ive got the new nano, well its not new the model is 2 years old but its still newer than the 6th gen

I've got a Q10 which I've recently retired because as much as I love the device itself and BB10, I am not following BlackBerry down the path it's chosen.
    Let me know if you've got further questions.
    Congratulations on retireing. I hope you enjoy those years!

And I'm not using the Q10 anymore not just for the lack of banking apps but others as well. I actually found the apps I wanted and use regularly on the WP Store or already on the Lumia.
    Keep me updated on how you like the OS ive always been facinated by Windows Phone but never enough to buy one
    08-07-14 12:41 PM
55 123