Starting a couple of years ago, a concerted RIMM lambast began out of NewsCorp--Rupert owns crony organ grinder monkey Cramer's thestreet.com, Wall Street Journal, Fox News, Barrons, and--most importantly--the Dow Jones Newswire Service. The lions share of the bad press comes from newswire clips throughout the day from WSJ and Dow newswire, and they are resplendent with venomous phrasing--embattled RIMM, the end of RIMM, RIMM on the ropes, last days for RIMM, etc.. The odd aspect is why does the media care so much about dog piling the once-$80 billion company that now trades at a $5 billion market cap? It is a lynching, plain and simple, and why does Apple and Google stock price continue to languish, despite the market share the media proclaims daily they are taking? If we are to believe the law of conservation of energy, one of these fine firms ought be enjoying share price appreciation.
    Find the nastiest, sleaziest "unfit to do business in Britain" naked short out there and it will bear the fetid stench of Murdock.
    06-16-12 10:22 AM
    I would not worry about it. You can't control it and you can't understand it. Nor can anyone. It is just the media bashing RIM again. Mostly the writers play "follow the leader" and if one anal-y-cyst writes trash about a company then the others follow on a zero knowledge basis.

I have quoted this before and I'm sure to quote it again in the future so here it is again.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain
    anon(3956470) likes this.
    06-16-12 10:42 AM
    I know Rupert Murdock, Ted Turner, Michael Bloomberg, etc. the big media moguls of modern times do control much of the information we get and can put their own spin/agenda on new stories, but I think there is more to the media bashing RIM contributing to RIM's recent hardships.

I mean media moguls always remind me of the AFI Best Movie Ever- Citizen Kane. In Citizen Kane a few of my favorite lines from it were when his wife is questioning his shady journalism and asks "What will people think?" and Charles Foster Kane responds: "What I tell them to think!!!". Or when someone asks Kane if his newspaper business is a good business to own when he has been losing money in it. Kane answers "I lost a million dollars last year, I will lose a million dollars this year, and I will probably lose a million dollars next year... I might have to close this place in 60 years!"

Now I am quoting Kane bc I agree with what is widely regarded as the greatest movie ever made and still holds true today, certain wealthy media moguls control all the information and in doing so control thought in many ways. And they don't need the money, but they enjoy the power.

But... even though I think the media at large has been unfair to RIM, RIM has not kept up to the consumer demands. While Apple and Android based devices were revolutionizing functionality in phones whether through apps or pushing the envelope on hardware RIM was slow to integrate apps, still lags behind in some functionality and up until BB7 was grossly behind the curve on hardware in their smartphones.

Everyone else was moving forward while RIM releases a clamshell flip phone like the Style which was a throwback to the way phones used to be. RIM was clueless on the consumer market and its good those two CEO's are gone, the game passed them by. Now we will see if Thor Heins can give the consumer what they want and at the same time break up some of the brand loyalty we are seeing with Android and Apple devices. Tall order with a tough media, but not impossible.

So yea, the media mercilessly beat up on RIM and still does, but some of it was deserved...
    06-16-12 10:58 AM
    Your rant would be slightly more believable if you actually managed to spell his name right... it's Murdoch... there's an 'H' at the end!

Si.
    06-16-12 11:24 AM
    I applaud your first post!
    I have been stating the same bias in the media since I joined, my previous posts atest to that. It's been 4 years now that they have said RIM is dead, quoting the fact they understand perception is reality! Understanding the fact they create the reality in many people's minds.
    If people want to believe there nothing to it fine, for the most part the damage is done. RIM has been aware of the fact, also aware that if they were to acknowledge it they would propagate the reality!
    The stock was down 18months before the financial pain on the balance sheet. That doesn't happen unless outside forces are at work!
    All that time RIM was working on its revenge! It's Called BB10. Sure it's David vs Goliath, But David won that fight! GO RIM.
    06-16-12 11:29 AM
    Your rant would be slightly more believable if you actually managed to spell his name right... it's Murdoch... there's an 'H' at the end!

Si.
    I could go back and edit changing the letter from "k" to "h", but who cares? My point is Rupert is a POS and many of these media moguls wield far too much power in controlling and spinning the information we all depend on and receive.

The media has been unfair to RIM, but RIM has lagged behind for the longest time in giving consumers what they want. I think the BB7 Blackberries are excellent but didn't get a fair shake by the media. But before BB7, RIM just was screwing up royally!
    06-16-12 06:50 PM
    To me RIM had to cater to their enterprise market and has still made products that are more than capable for the vast majority of mobile phone users in this world. It wouldn't make business sense to transition any time sooner and thats likely part of the reason they havent. Its mostly in NA where their products have been seen as less advance. I think its in NA where the media has its strongest effect. The amount of negative media RIM receives while all their competition aside from samsung and apple struggles is ridiculous. Its also one thing to just report a company's current situation, but the tone and language used regarding RIM is absurd.
    06-17-12 02:24 PM
    I could go back and edit changing the letter from "k" to "h", but who cares?

Some of us do. My tendency is to dismiss posts such as yours which are either carelessly written or lacking in veracity, or both. This applies particulary with a post which is allegedly dealing with fact. If your post is just a rant, then yeah...who cares.
    06-17-12 02:39 PM
    Maybe Murdoch & Co are mad they couldn't hack into people's blackberrys.
    06-17-12 07:30 PM
    I don't know... I agree there is a media bias towards rim, lots deserved, some of it not. I think its more of a matter of its easier to kick someone when they're down rather than a conspiracy of sorts. But what do I know? They could have gotten to me already.
    06-17-12 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD