I am a gadget freak and i love trying out all the new mobiles that are out there. (Most of them iPhone, Androids, BlackBerries, etc)

A little bit of me, i had owned every BlackBerry that has been released. Expet for the new OS7 devices. (Cant wait to get my hand on the new 9900 ). Also I had been using the same data plan for the last 3 years without extremely exceeding my data cap. Also, to let you all now that my carrier can support SIM swap between different phones without additional fees, just setting up the APNs and its a good to go.

I have to be honest and confess that i was getting bored of the BlackBerry. The apps are so limited, the functionality has been the same for the last 3 years, i exception of very small things, camera, speed, updates. But the user interface its almost the same . (Overall speaking)

I was exploring the Android mobile World this last week, rockin' on the Motorola Atrix 4G. And today i flipped out. My mobile carrier has this option where you can see the amount of data used day to day during the month of service. And for my misfortune I had spent 20% of my total data per month. Its September 2!!!

This was a surprise for me. How come doing "the same" amount of usage from one phone to another the data usage can differ so extremely. That definitely wont work for me.

I must say that i was impressed from the phone capabilities. (Atrix4G). But at some point it wasn't that fast, for the Dual Core processor. I expected more. And i could talk about many pros and cons, between BlackBerry and Android.

But i just want to get to the point here, thats the Android Phones ara Data Munchers in comparison with the BlackBerry. Since using heavily the BlackBerry Internet Service on my 9700 (9 Mail accounts, BBM, GTalk, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, abusive media sharing 2 batteries per day, I only got an average of 80% of data usage per month.)

BTW, my carrier Telcel Mexico. (That has a roaming data plan ONLY FOR BIS, that for only $4.59 dlls per day i can use "unlimited" the BIS service on the US. No other carrier on Mexico offers that.)

I just wanted to share this finding on the data usage between different brands of mobiles.

Any questions feel free to ask :P
    09-02-11 04:15 PM
    Yeah, BBs are great if you use a lot of data. On average, an iPhone or Android would use 2.5 times the amount of data than my BB.
    09-02-11 04:19 PM
    Totally agree. I had the Atrix also. Nice phone with a lot of potential. I just couldn't get used to typing on the screen and the battery life, though one of the best in Android, was poor. Not knocking it, it's a great phone. Just not for me.
    09-02-11 05:03 PM
    Typing on my droid incredible was horrible compared to my new bold. But at this time Android has the edge on every platform out there. There was never a freeze up on any Android device like there is on bb devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 05:49 PM
    Been a long time Crackberry and decided to jump on the Android boat, after about a year I am back...never again I'm leaving Blackberry.
    09-02-11 06:29 PM
    I wanna try android just to be able to say I don't like android from a personal experience.
    09-02-11 07:38 PM
    As they say..... Used a BB? Locked to one for life!
    09-02-11 08:43 PM
    I still have my bb 9700 and rock it once in awhile. For now my daily driver is a mytouch4G. I like both phones for certain things. Overall the only thing my Android does over my 9700 is the better browser, bigger screen and faster...oh and the apps are like woah!

Things I miss on my BB are awesome KB, amazing battery life, and just works perfect out of the box! My Android I have to download all kind of apps to get it to my liking. Also I have had to pull my battery, had a few resets as something funny was going on. I reset this phone as much as I did my BB...

Not knocking Android, but BB is just more my speed I suppose. Yeah I could root this, but is no where near as easy as it was installing a different OS. I am stuck though with this till at least February. I am sure I can manage, but I has a feeling I will be back to BB in that month.

Reason I don't just rock my 9700 is due to it being a PITA *** to switch everything over and my stepdaughter loves it! Even more than this Android, lol!

09-02-11 09:15 PM
    this is part of the reason why carriers are pushing android so hard. they eat data and push your monthly data bill higher, especially now that they have tiered pricing.

blackberry data compression technology and the playbook bridge are both anti-carrier, pro-consumer features.

i think these 2 features are straining RIM's relationships with the carriers. great for us though.
    09-03-11 10:23 AM
    the only Droid i used was a cheap Tablet which while it worked better after being rooted (i had to root it to even put the Android Market on it) it was incredibly slow, apps crashed left and right and/or rebooted the OS (would lock up, go blank, then show the 'Android' logo and come back to home screen) and it required more resets than a BB would battery pulls (which to be fair, i was a newb and i did things that crashed my BB at first). the worst was that though my tablet had a much faster-than-my-Curve processor, it was incredibly slow. if i was playing music and launched the web browser, it would cut in and out (music playback was choppy) while loading web pages or transmitting data (download) and would resume proper playback when page was completely loaded. games were even worse, the more graphic the game, the slower it was. the latest version of Angry Birds seasons was unplayable and half the graphics were white boxes even with the graphic fix. the screen was horrid and was unable to tell a scroll swipe from a click. i would inadvertently click many times by mistake even when i was not trying to. as far as i am concerned Android sucks. it is totally unstable, too full of eye candy to be fast enough, requires tons of demand from the CPU (although battery life is ok for what it does) and i actually prefer an OS that never changes, i used to carry my Nokia 5185i from like 1997 as my phone when i used the tablet as a 'feature set' along side it. the Nokia was great for signal since it was a much older CDMA phone i was using on Page Plus (which still allows non-e911 compliant devices) and i used it for the simple icon-based OS. what it lacked my Tablet (horridly though) could do. then i got my Curve and am finally getting the best of both worlds, even if a few apps are missing and i have not yet fixed some bugs (such as App World not working on Wifi only--possible downgrade can fix it?)

though Android has gotten better (at least by review/Android forum standpoints) the one big issue it has yet to completely fix is the inability to reliably connect to a wifi hotspot. Android either has lousy wifi chipsets or the software is unable to deal with the slightest signal loss, it just up and disconnects and even denies connections on a whim (Wifi--unsuccessful/out of range when you are actually next to the router). rooting and installing a update fixes some of it, but not all of it sadly. most forums have tons of 'Droid wifi is lousy' posts.
    09-03-11 05:30 PM
    I'm glad I have unlimited data!

09-03-11 05:41 PM
    this is truth! i have used android and windows. android was horrible in my opinion. at this point i believe RIM is going to inch their way back on top by the time QNX rolls out. i believe a lot of people are starting to see android for what they really are....overhyped!
    09-04-11 02:56 AM
    When QNX rolls around? See, that's the thing with RIM. It's been the "when OS6/7/QNX drops, etc" for a few years now. People are tired of waking for RIM to catch up.

They're 2-3 years behind.
    09-04-11 03:11 AM
    I can relate to the OP's experience with the Atrix, since it mirrors mine. I was amazed at the amount of data consumed. And I did have to do some battery pulls as it became increasingly sluggish towards the end of the five or six weeks I used it.
    I came back to my Torch, which at the time, was loading pages faster than the Atrix. I sought assistance here and had some folks really help me out. In the end, the Atrix wasn't for me. I gave it to a family member.
    09-04-11 05:52 AM
    i have had all the androids, but some how i a;ways come back to blackberry.my last android was the atrix ,i loved the phone but it got boring after a while so now iam torch 2 like you and loving it
    Morjesta likes this.
    09-04-11 06:54 AM
    I'm glad I have unlimited data!

as long as you stay in the USA
    09-04-11 11:17 AM
    I do.

I was wondering if I travel outside the US and add the global plan, when I return can I go back to my unlimited plan. I asked a rep that and they did not know.

I would think yes.

09-04-11 11:22 AM
    I do.

I was wondering if I travel outside the US and add the global plan, when I return can I go back to my unlimited plan. I asked a rep that and they did not know.

I would think yes.

You can, you actually wouldn't remove your unlimited plan, you would ADD a roaming plan to your existing account, while you travel you'd be billed against the roaming plan, while home you get billed against your unlimited.

I once had unlimited, now a 6GB plan, the 6GB plan might as well be unlimited for me as I never come close to breaking it, it is my US travel that is expensive at $1/MB,

That is why I love my BlackBerry above all else when traveling it saves me $100's per year
    09-04-11 11:40 AM
    That makes sense, thanks. I asked an in store rep and meant to call to get a real answer so our answer saves me a call.

Hopefully VZW will allow unlimited grandfathering for a while!

09-04-11 11:45 AM
    That makes sense, thanks. I asked an in store rep and meant to call to get a real answer so our answer saves me a call.

Hopefully VZW will allow unlimited grandfathering for a while!

I'm not surprised in the slightest your carrier store rep didn't have a clue, I bet very few people ever come into the store asking about roaming dataplans as it is more a corporate thing in the US,
    you guys barely leave your country
    09-04-11 11:49 AM
    this is part of the reason why carriers are pushing android so hard. they eat data and push your monthly data bill higher, especially now that they have tiered pricing.

blackberry data compression technology and the playbook bridge are both anti-carrier, pro-consumer features.

i think these 2 features are straining RIM's relationships with the carriers. great for us though.
    Though only a chunk, a lot of phones will be phones getting customers to sign up for, or switch to their network. Look at what the iPhone did to AT&T when it was launched.
    09-04-11 01:10 PM
    I'm not surprised in the slightest your carrier store rep didn't have a clue, I bet very few people ever come into the store asking about roaming dataplans as it is more a corporate thing in the US,
    you guys barely leave your country
    Well, my mom traveled to the Philippines, and was told it would be cheaper just to get a local plan while she was there for a month. Also, Magic jack came in handy when they wanted to call out to us kids, state side. My mom has/will have had, the storm 1, just to take into consideration.
    09-04-11 01:13 PM
    see that's another selling point for me. Virgin Mobile has a Curve 8530 with unlimited data for only $35/mo. the phone sells for half of what the Androids from the same MVNO have, and the plan can't be beat even from other pre-paid/contract services. AT&T has only a 2GB plan when i had my iPhone, and many others want $65/mo for a limited data BIS plan. i just wanted a Curve but discovered that when not near a wifi hotspot i don't have to constantly check and recheck my MB consumption. i hardly use a cell phone to talk, emergencies mainly or help calls if i had car trouble, or keeping in touch with the boss. other than that, i use MagicJack at home to talk (cheaper than a cell, and allows landline phones where landlines are not present via wireless internet in my case)

--i just wish Virgin/Sprint had nearly half the coverage of what VZW did. when using my 5185i, which used the Verizon Network via Page Plus MVNO, i had far more coverage than AT&T, sadly when using any Sprint-carrier, even with their good data plans, looking at the coverage maps in comparison really disappoint. RIM doesn't need to catch up, Sprint does! i love RIM's OS. last thing i would want is for BlackBerries to become as slow, crash-prone, and laggy as any other smartphone out there
    09-04-11 01:49 PM
    see that's another selling point for me. Virgin Mobile has a Curve 8530 with unlimited data for only $35/mo. the phone sells for half of what the Androids from the same MVNO have, and the plan can't be beat even from other pre-paid/contract services. AT&T has only a 2GB plan when i had my iPhone, and many others want $65/mo for a limited data BIS plan. i just wanted a Curve but discovered that when not near a wifi hotspot i don't have to constantly check and recheck my MB consumption. i hardly use a cell phone to talk, emergencies mainly or help calls if i had car trouble, or keeping in touch with the boss. other than that, i use MagicJack at home to talk (cheaper than a cell, and allows landline phones where landlines are not present via wireless internet in my case)

--i just wish Virgin/Sprint had nearly half the coverage of what VZW did. when using my 5185i, which used the Verizon Network via Page Plus MVNO, i had far more coverage than AT&T, sadly when using any Sprint-carrier, even with their good data plans, looking at the coverage maps in comparison really disappoint. RIM doesn't need to catch up, Sprint does! i love RIM's OS. last thing i would want is for BlackBerries to become as slow, crash-prone, and laggy as any other smartphone out there
    ...They will only get better.

09-04-11 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD