I was trying to gently clean my Blackberry with rubbing alcohol soaked q-tips. Everything was fine UNTIL I got to the "black rubber" areas.

The area is less matte and rubbery and more shiny. It has a weird texture now. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe if I scratch all of the "rubber" off, to reveal the smooth, shiny black texture? Has anyone done this?

I've scratched the top area before and the rubber comes off and below the surface is a smooth/shiny black surface.
    10-18-09 05:51 PM
    I've never tried removing the rubber grip areas of a BlackBerry, nor would I ever suggest trying it. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to the new feel of your phone.
    10-18-09 05:54 PM
    If you feel like you have nothing to lose try applying a very very small amount of oil - non mineral based in case it will dissolve the rubber stuff. I don't have your device so don't know the exact material it has, but I've cosmetically brought black rubber -like material back to looking better life with a (very) little oil.
    Last edited by Pema108; 10-18-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spellng error
    10-18-09 08:22 PM
    I've never tried removing the rubber grip areas of a BlackBerry, nor would I ever suggest trying it. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to the new feel of your phone.
    But its not even the texture. There are spots! There are areas where its just fine, and then other areas are spotted from the alcohol. It looks so ugly!
    10-18-09 08:24 PM
    I use a little bit of alcohol on a soft cloth and wipe my device down when it's like oily and greasy...
    10-18-09 08:25 PM
    If you feel like you have nothing to lose try applying a very very small amount of oil - non mineral based in case it will dissolve the rubber stuff. I don't have your device so don't know the exact material it has, but I've cosmetically brought black rubber -like material back to looking better life with a (very) little oil.
    I'm going to try this. However, I don't have any regular oil? Will olive oil work? LOL
    10-18-09 08:26 PM
    This just seems like it's only going to get worse. I'd just leave it the way it is and deal rather than risk it getting worse.
    10-18-09 08:27 PM
    Do you have any Armor All, Back to Black, or other type of auto tire dressing? If you do, I would try a small amount on a small area to make sure but I think it would be OK.
    10-18-09 08:42 PM
    I was trying to gently clean my Blackberry with rubbing alcohol
    I am SO sorry you have had this problem. I've WARNED about this and been laughed at by a small cliche here who get one mod to remove my posts and close my threads on this topic.

I've used Windex for years with great success on all my handheld devices. There are members in CrackBerry who freak out whenever I post anything on this topic and get my posts removed.

I'll never use alcohol or harsh chemicals on any BlackBerry and I am so sorry to hear about this damage to your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 09:44 PM
    I was trying to gently clean my Blackberry with rubbing alcohol soaked q-tips. Everything was fine UNTIL I got to the "black rubber" areas.

The area is less matte and rubbery and more shiny. It has a weird texture now. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe if I scratch all of the "rubber" off, to reveal the smooth, shiny black texture? Has anyone done this?

I've scratched the top area before and the rubber comes off and below the surface is a smooth/shiny black surface.
    Once the rubberized coating comes off, there is no "fixing it" other than replacing the part that the coating has come off.

Option #2 would be taking the part off and finding a rubberized spray or paint on type application.

If you are going to the trouble of taking the phone apart, I personally would replace the parts in question.

Option #3 would be to cover the phone with a case or skin (less hassle and trouble in my opinion).

As far as I know, most of the BB shells are painted plastic that have a coating that once it comes off, the paint can chip, scratch and of course rub off much easier. Sadly, if you want the phone to keep it's looks, you will need to cover it with something to keep the chips and scratches to a minimum. But then the same is true for just about anything that's painted.
    10-18-09 09:45 PM
    i would never use any kind of solvent on plastic parts, especially rubberized and painted ones. they eat away at them and damage rubber.
    10-19-09 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD