With people being abke to root ios and andriod os, I was wondering if anyone has tried to do this with bb. Would there be any benefit in doing this? I had an ipod touch in which I jail broke in order to customize the interface and gain other apps, could the same type of function be created if we did this for bb?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 04:08 AM
    It cannot be done. Rooting only applies to Android, and jailbreaking only applies to iDevices.

03-09-11 04:20 AM
    The closest thing to "rooting" a BlackBerry would be to load a hybrid os.
    03-09-11 08:15 AM
    There is nothing on a BB to root or break out of jail. You can install any app you want from anywhere you like, and modify the interface however you want with the theme builder (or just load another theme) all day long. And there are several programs out there that allow direct access to the system OS and memory - none of which are looked down upon or being legally pursued by RIM.

The only things not easily accessible are things like carrier branding, like the AT&T logo on boot up. However, things like that don't affect functionality so the idea of changing that is rather insignificant and frivolous.

Also, hybrid OS's don't really give anything more than you would get from the official OS's. They are basically hybrids of the best parts of the various OS builds already out there.

03-09-11 09:24 AM
    There is nothing on a BB to root or break out of jail. You can install any app you want from anywhere you like, and modify the interface however you want with the theme builder (or just load another theme) all day long. And there are several programs out there that allow direct access to the system OS and memory - none of which are looked down upon or being legally pursued by RIM.

The only things not easily accessible are things like carrier branding, like the AT&T logo on boot up. However, things like that don't affect functionality so the idea of changing that is rather insignificant and frivolous.

Also, hybrid OS's don't really give anything more than you would get from the official OS's. They are basically hybrids of the best parts of the various OS builds already out there.

If you think that is a rooting/jailbreaking does then you have been misinformed

03-09-11 12:56 PM

Well how about informing them then, and not just saying that they are wrong?
    03-09-11 01:13 PM
    Rooting allows for

Loading different kernels
    Overclocking/underclocking
    Load roms from other phones
    Free wifi tether
    Etc

This is general discussion on crackberry. If you really want to know more head to the android section where its a more appropriate place to discuss in detail.
    03-09-11 01:30 PM
    Rooting allows for

Free wifi tether
    Etc

This is general discussion on crackberry. If you really want to know more head to the android section where its a more appropriate place to discuss in detail.
    There is definitely a lot of good information about that in the android section. A person could also head over to the android site and get a lot of information about rooting or go to the I-site to get information on jailbreaking.
    03-09-11 01:44 PM
    Rooting allows for

Free wifi tether
    Etc

When I installed os6 on my 9700 did I not install another kernal? Just how much overclocking are you doing? Hardware has to support it.
    Why would anybody go to the android section to talk about rooting a blackberry? The problem here is posters come in and ask to general of a question. They should ask how to do what they want to do.

03-09-11 01:54 PM
    You can already load hybrids onto your BlackBerry with "rooting" There are even sites (just like XDA for Android) that have different hybrids for different BlackBerry models. There really aren't any different kernels for BlackBerry.

Some of the hybrids have taken different portions of other devices and swapped them out. You can switch radios (for better battery life, better connectivity, stringer signal...), browsers, and other base functions. When I had my Tour running 4.7, and 5.0 wasn't out yet, there were 5.0 hybrids that were available. You could even choose to swap out the radio portion, in case one worked better with your carrier.

I haven't seen any way to clock the BlackBerry differently. As far as apps for free tethering, they already exist without needing to change the OS, root, or unlock.

Access to most things on BlackBerry are open. The restrictions mainly come from security (service books) and development APIs. Developers have to sign apps for certain APIs, giving access to different portions of the OS. For the most part, if the API is available, developers can write code without needing to have special user access to the device.

There isn't a way around the security protocols. That is one of the things that make Blackberry devices the chosen device for companies needing to feel secure about what their employees use.
    03-09-11 02:04 PM
    With people being abke to root ios and andriod os, I was wondering if anyone has tried to do this with bb. Would there be any benefit in doing this? I had an ipod touch in which I jail broke in order to customize the interface and gain other apps, could the same type of function be created if we did this for bb?
    It was the reasons the OP gave for JBing his iPod Touch. @joeldf said those things can be done without needing to jailbreak a BB. How is that misinformation?
    03-09-11 02:09 PM
    When I installed os6 on my 9700 did I not install another kernal? Just how much overclocking are you doing? Hardware has to support it.
    Why would anybody go to the android section to talk about rooting a blackberry? The problem here is posters come in and ask to general of a question. They should ask how to do what they want to do.

You can't root a bb therefore there is nothing to talk about on that subject. I was refering to what you gain by rooting an android device

Any no you loading OS 6 is not the same as a kernel. I can overclock a xoom to 1.5ghz. My inc is 1.2 ghz sometimes

joeldf already mentioned what the op can do for the most part so i feel no need to repeat what is stated.
    03-09-11 03:05 PM
    BlackBerrys do have themes which are somewhat like ROMs, and you can also access the engineering screens (advanced help screen) on your BlackBerry and change some of the internal settings WITHOUT requiring any special rooting. HOWEVER, without technical knowledge you can also mess up your BB rooting around too deeply in there. Also it's NOT discussed on CB (we don't allow it) but it's also possible to access the firmware of the device with illegal software and do what's called debranding and removing the carrier logo and other dangerous stuff to your device. Consult google for this, BUT really don't because if you don't know what you are doing you can really ruin your BB.

So there is no need to root, or jailbreak, and a BB is just as functional and accessible as iOS and Android. Except for the browser of course.
    03-09-11 03:23 PM
    No you didnt install a kernel. BBOS isnt a *unix based system.

Overclocking and underclocking. I can controll my CPU from 1516MHz all the way down to 258MHz. with various profiles, controlling the CPU.

And yes the hardwear supports its.

03-09-11 04:43 PM
    Rooting allows for multiple things to happen. It give you the ability to take snap shots of your entire OS, or parts of it. It gives you the ability to flash ROMS that were not even made for your device. Allows one to remove bloatware, or remove read only applications. It gives one the ability to Overclock, underclock or anywhere in between. It allows you to gain complete control over your phone. You can add fonts, add images edit and change the OS at your will. Most importantly it give me all the security control i could ask for. Nothing gets done w/o my permission. I can get in and manage my memory setting for application settings. I can get in and do what ever i deem needed to suit my phone @ my time....

Rooting gives you access to the very core of your phone and everything around it.

Like on my Nook Color. I am running Cyanogen(mod) Gingerbread on my nook color. A flipping e-reader is a very capable tablet for less that 1/3 the cost of a Playbook, iPad, or Xoom. Not to mention my Nook is overclocked to 925MHz, and runs super smooth.

I have a team of developers to fall back on when i am messing with ROMS, instant feedback = instant results. Instead of waiting for a corporation to see fit to shove me a update that did nothing but change the number. And it allows me to keep my phone up todate, when my carrier and/or the phone manufacture stop caring about it. How many people with 81xx and 83xx blackberries would LOVE to see OS6, OS7, nay i say QNX on your device. With a blackberry once RIM and my carrier stop caring about a device, I'm SOL. With a rooted android. I can have the latest and greatest even before my carrier is aware of it.

Flashing Hybrids and Beta on blackberries might be considered "cool", "trendy" and "techie" but it's nothing compared to the tech side of android.... all possible by Rooting. IF you understood *unix designed computers you would understand what rooting is and what it does.

SevereDeceit and howarmat like this.
    03-09-11 04:55 PM
    Rooting allows for multiple things to happen. It give you the ability to take snap shots of your entire OS, or parts of it. It gives you the ability to flash ROMS that were not even made for your device. Allows one to remove bloatware, or remove read only applications. It gives one the ability to Overclock, underclock or anywhere in between. It allows you to gain complete control over your phone. You can add fonts, add images edit and change the OS at your will. Most importantly it give me all the security control i could ask for. Nothing gets done w/o my permission. I can get in and manage my memory setting for application settings. I can get in and do what ever i deem needed to suit my phone @ my time....

Rooting gives you access to the very core of your phone and everything around it.

Like on my Nook Color. I am running Cyanogen(mod) Gingerbread on my nook color. A flipping e-reader is a very capable tablet for less that 1/3 the cost of a Playbook, iPad, or Xoom. Not to mention my Nook is overclocked to 925MHz, and runs super smooth.

I have a team of developers to fall back on when i am messing with ROMS, instant feedback = instant results. Instead of waiting for a corporation to see fit to shove me a update that did nothing but change the number. And it allows me to keep my phone up todate, when my carrier and/or the phone manufacture stop caring about it. How many people with 81xx and 83xx blackberries would LOVE to see OS6, OS7, nay i say QNX on your device. With a blackberry once RIM and my carrier stop caring about a device, I'm SOL. With a rooted android. I can have the latest and greatest even before my carrier is aware of it.

Flashing Hybrids and Beta on blackberries might be considered "cool", "trendy" and "techie" but it's nothing compared to the tech side of android.... all possible by Rooting. IF you understood *unix designed computers you would understand what rooting is and what it does.

Ok ok we get it you're smarter than the rest of us.

03-09-11 08:53 PM
    With people being abke to root ios and andriod os, I was wondering if anyone has tried to do this with bb.
    Doubtless yes and IMO large countries' spy organizations have likely already done this successfully.

Would there be any benefit in doing this?
    For whom?

For regular users, yes of course - we could turn a BB into a cellular-to-WiFi bridge for starters.

But it would likely require a large amount of effort to write all the drivers required.

I had an ipod touch in which I jail broke in order to customize the interface and gain other apps, could the same type of function be created if we did this for bb?
    Well, once rooted you have complete control over everything if you install an open-source OS.

As for rooting them modifying the existing OS I tend to doubt the feasibility of that. I'd expect all the core code modules to be digitally signed etc so no easy, wholesale OS interface changes.

So the the general gist of your question: no. There is presently no known ability to root a BB, let alone are there any replacement OS's/ROM's available to install.

You and others might find this interesting, a security-type researcher and blogger last year announced he had reverse-engineered all the code that comprises a BB OS installation, meaning he has the source code to a RIM device's OS. If he was able to identify a bug in the Java sandbox or its implementation then he could conceivably get root access on the BB. From there it should be quick work to replace a BB boot ROM with one of his own making and thereby making his BB a NON-Java device any more. After that it's just a bunch of hardware drivers and software tying all the stuff together.

Chirashi Security | Everything can be reversed. Everything.
    ht tp://chirashi.zensay.com/2010/07/everything-can-be-reversed-everything/

Oh, I can dream...

Closest I've been able to get (har har) is to specially configure the data layout on my SD card so that a) I have multiple partitions on it, one of which is bootable to a PC yet invisible to the BB and the other which I used for actual data storage for the BB. With this method and a USB-compatible Windows setup (yes, I have one) I can use by BB (as a storage device) to boot a PC into Windows, linux (partedmagic, etc), DOS, whetever just like one can with a regular USB fob. Obviously not rooting the BB but makes my BB more of a Swiss-army knife for a tech like me not to mention that I use the visible partition (and the BB's 'mass storage mode') to store software utils that I like to have on PC's when I'm working on them.
    03-09-11 10:11 PM
    Ok ok we get it you're smarter than the rest of us.

whoa whoa slow your horses there. I didn't say anything about be smarter than anyone else. I was asked to explain exactly what rooting is. and I did.

and everyone has their respective area of knowledge. keep that in mind.

03-10-11 07:21 AM
    whoa whoa slow your horses there. I didn't say anything about be smarter than anyone else. I was asked to explain exactly what rooting is. and I did.

and everyone has their respective area of knowledge. keep that in mind.

Just yanking yer chain. Your reply was actually very informative.

03-10-11 02:12 PM
    Post, lol! Syborg...really. I mean wow dude....

03-10-11 03:10 PM
    You can't root a bb therefore there is nothing to talk about on that subject. I was refering to what you gain by rooting an android device

Any no you loading OS 6 is not the same as a kernel. I can overclock a xoom to 1.5ghz. My inc is 1.2 ghz sometimes

joeldf already mentioned what the op can do for the most part so i feel no need to repeat what is stated.
    I say your wrong on both answers. To "root" a bb is just a general term. So yea we can talk a lot about doing things that one might associate with rooting. When I installed os 6 on my 9700 it did change the kernal. Even if os5 and os6 use the same kernal which I don't think it does, I wiped the os5 completely off my device then instslled "another" os "kernal". The base of android is linux. You can write your kernal for linux. The term "rooting" comesnfrom linux hacking. From gaining the "root" of the machine to achive control. Its called "root" cause "root" on linux is where control and system files is at. Windows and system 32 would be "root" on a win box. Unless your a linux and windows cross user you would call it root.
    If somebody would tell what they won't to achive. What their goal we would be able to tell them how to go about it. But instead of that they use a general term that describes a whole list of things.
    What do you gain my overclocking your cpu? Your not going to process any more data than memory can move between cach and storage. I guess your phones has expandable memory or has a load of it. The thing is a blackberry on "most" devices runs very well with it's hardware. Most blackberrys is already fine tunes at production to work well hardware wise with its os. So you can say you overclocked your phone to 1.5 ghz. Can ya show those cyclics?
    The whole point in my reply is we don't need to go to an android forum to learn what we can and can't do with our blackberrys. We are more than capable right where we are at. People don't ask the questions they want answered.

03-10-11 08:44 PM
    I say your wrong on both answers. To "root" a bb is just a general term. So yea we can talk a lot about doing things that one might associate with rooting. When I installed os 6 on my 9700 it did change the kernal. Even if os5 and os6 use the same kernal which I don't think it does, I wiped the os5 completely off my device then instslled "another" os "kernal". The base of android is linux. You can write your kernal for linux. The term "rooting" comesnfrom linux hacking. From gaining the "root" of the machine to achive control. Its called "root" cause "root" on linux is where control and system files is at. Windows and system 32 would be "root" on a win box. Unless your a linux and windows cross user you would call it root.
    If somebody would tell what they won't to achive. What their goal we would be able to tell them how to go about it. But instead of that they use a general term that describes a whole list of things.
    What do you gain my overclocking your cpu? Your not going to process any more data than memory can move between cach and storage. I guess your phones has expandable memory or has a load of it. The thing is a blackberry on "most" devices runs very well with it's hardware. Most blackberrys is already fine tunes at production to work well hardware wise with its os. So you can say you overclocked your phone to 1.5 ghz. Can ya show those cyclics?
    The whole point in my reply is we don't need to go to an android forum to learn what we can and can't do with our blackberrys. We are more than capable right where we are at. People don't ask the questions they want answered.

Why do you insist in calling Blackberries *unix based devices. They are not unix based devices so no you did not install a new Kernel. They are java based devices which do not have Kernels. And with most Androids having 4Gb plus hard drives and at least 768Mb of RAM overclocking does have it's benefits. Can we prove it? Sure I've attached two pictures of a Quadrant score that i did at the stock 1Ghz speed and one at the overclocked 1.5Ghz, and if you would like i can get you MFlops scores as well.

and for your record a Kernel is the level of firmware that interacts between the file system and the drivers, software and hardware. IF Blackberries are *unix based PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to replace just the Kernel. Because you can on any other device that has a kernel. So please tell me.

And we understand that people who don't one Androids or Apple products do not care about gaining SU access. But the idea of proclaim it does this an does that coming from a uneducated point of view is unacceptable.
    Last edited by syb0rg; 03-10-11 at 09:28 PM.
    03-10-11 09:20 PM
    Why do you insist in calling Blackberries *unix based devices. They are not unix based devices so no you did not install a new Kernel. They are java based devices which do not have Kernels. And with most Androids having 4Gb plus hard drives and at least 768Mb of RAM overclocking does have it's benefits. Can we prove it? Sure I've attached two pictures of a Quadrant score that i did at the stock 1Ghz speed and one at the overclocked 1.5Ghz, and if you would like i can get you MFlops scores as well.

and for your record a Kernel is the level of firmware that interacts between the file system and the drivers, software and hardware. IF Blackberries are *unix based PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to replace just the Kernel. Because you can on any other device that has a kernel. So please tell me.

And we understand that people who don't one Androids or Apple products do not care about gaining SU access. But the idea of proclaim it does this an does that coming from a uneducated point of view is unacceptable.
    I'm not saying that rim is unix based. What im saying is you can change the base of the os which is the kernal. Unix isn't the only thing with a kernal. Window and just about everything has some type of kernal. Which is the base script.
    Your taking about over clocking devices that have better than a igz cpu and at or better than 750 Mbs of ram. Just how many devices running android have those stats? And what kind of processes are you running to get useful gain out of it? Blackberries don't have those stats.
    Just as I said with out the hardware to support it overclocking is null.
    Once again you have missed my meaning. What I'm trying to say is if they would how can they install a tweaked os they would be linked to the blackberry 101 tuturial and the hybred oses. Don't think blackberrys can't be tweaked.
    I don't know what you where saying in that last part so I'll hope for the best and just say thism I'm not uneducated. Nor am I bashing either platform. I'm just making a simple comment. Ask what it is your trying to do...

03-11-11 02:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD