A lot of blackberry users are dropping their berries for iphones and androids. But in order to keep their well priced legacy plans, they are just popping their SIM cards from their berries into their new phones.

RIM is wise to this and is now clamping down on non berries on their network. If they detect a non BB on their network, they will turn off the data that goes through their NOC.

Rogers users are getting this message on their bills:

You have subscribed to a BlackBerry data plan for use with your BlackBerry
    device. We've noticed that you are now using a device that is not a BlackBerry, which is not compatible with your BlackBerry data plan. Effective July 16, 2012, you will no longer have data access on any device other than a BlackBerry. Please ensure that you use a BlackBerry device in order to continue to have data access. If you prefer to use a non-BlackBerry device, then please call us at 1 888 764-3771 and we'll be happy to switch you to another data plan that is compatible with that device. Thank you.

I called Rogers and asked them who is behind this. They told me RIM.

If RIM were to cut off non BB users on their network, this would be asinine because users would just get a normal Data Plan. RIM gets $5 per month from the network for each BB plan so they should just shut their mouth, collect the $5 a month and let the iphone/android users run data through the RIM network.

So now RIM is kicking out subscribers. How stupid are these guys?
    ontagenius likes this.
    07-25-12 09:01 PM
    So let me get this straight. People who regularly pop their SIM card in and out of multiple phones will no longer be able to do so? That'll be rough for RIM.

If that's what it means then I see some outrage in the near future.
    remmy00 likes this.
    07-25-12 09:09 PM
    Why should they provide the data if your not using their product? This isn't wrong. It's business. Would mc donalds let people eat burger King if the burgers were in big mac wrappers? You want blackberry data? Get a blackberry. The hardware and software are a package deal.
    07-25-12 09:09 PM
    I'm not seeing a problem. RIM never intended for their data plan to be used
    on anything other than their devices.

The onus here is on the user to use the correct equipment with the proper
    service and failure to do so leaves them no basis to complain.
    07-25-12 09:10 PM
    You believe what Robbers tells you?
    07-25-12 09:11 PM
    I think is doing the right thing no berry no service that's pretty much straight forward.
    07-25-12 09:11 PM
    So let me get this straight. People who regularly pop their SIM card in and out of multiple phones will no longer be able to do so? That'll be rough for RIM.

... and that outrage, like most consumer outrage, will be false and manufactured.
    RIM is in the right here. End of story.
    07-25-12 09:13 PM
    I agree. Would Itoy let you use any of their stuff. NO

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 09:16 PM

The OP didn't say "popping" he said "dropping".

Isn't that outrageous?
    07-25-12 09:16 PM
    First, RIM doesn't have a "network".

Second, you honestly believe Rogers? In your described scenario, Rogers pay $5 per month for your BIS plan to RIM. In turn, RIM has to provide you with nothing since you are not using BIS.

So RIM gets $5 for nothing, and Rogers pays $5 for nothing, yet you believe them when they tell you that RIM is behind all this? Wow...just wow
    07-25-12 09:17 PM
    You got BB plan for a reason. Why would they let a non BB phone on their server. They pay for it, not apple or android. One of the key reasons people pick BB is for security, so why would they provide it on another phone for even 5$. They would make more from selling their phones, not making 5$ from each subscriber.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 09:19 PM
    ... and that outrage, like most consumer outrage, will be false and manufactured.
    RIM is in the right here. End of story.
    I'd have to disagree. When RIM is in a position like it is now, pushing away customers most definitely puts them in the wrong.

There are plenty of people who use BlackBerrys alongside other smartphones. When people can freely swap between Windows Phones, iPhones and Androids while BlackBerry users are stuck to one device it makes them even more alienated from their competitors.

Sure RIM wants to keep it's monthly plan for BlackBerry users only, but starting it in a down time for the company isn't the best idea. I don't see why there has to be a BlackBerry plan for BlackBerrys and not just a standard data plan like every other smartphone has.
    E92Vancouver and Fr3lncr like this.
    07-25-12 09:22 PM
    I always assumed if you had a BB with a BB plan you can access BIS but if you put your SIM in a non-BB you will not be able to access the BIS servers because your non-BB lacks the software to access BIS.

As already mentioned it would be Rogers sending the email not RIM because they are paying for a service you are not accessing because the non-BB cannot access BIS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 09:26 PM
    I always assumed if you had a BB with a BB plan you can access BIS but if you put your SIM in a non-BB you will not be able to access the BIS servers because your non-BB lacks the software to access BIS.

As already mentioned it would be Rogers sending the email not RIM because they are paying for a service you are not accessing because the non-BB cannot access BIS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Which is my point. RIM isn't losing anything from this. If the same thing doesn't happen with other carriers I'd assume that it's Rogers' doing and not RIM.
    fanatical likes this.
    07-25-12 09:32 PM
    Sad that you believe RIM is behind this. The reasons have already been laid out for you but just in case you didn't know, U.S. carriers have been doing this for years.
    07-25-12 09:36 PM
    I'd have to disagree. When RIM is in a position like it is now, pushing away customers most definitely puts them in the wrong.
    You folks and your slippery slopes are killing me. RIM has not as of yet
    pushed anyone away and it is completely impossible to tell whether this
    action will.

Nothing about this, not RIMs present financial condition, delays to market,
    beating in the press, etc... puts them in the wrong.

There are plenty of people who use BlackBerrys alongside other smartphones. When people can freely swap between Windows Phones, iPhones and Androids while BlackBerry users are stuck to one device it makes them even more alienated from their competitors.
    I'm one of those people. If AT&T sent me the email above, you know what
    I'd do? I'd leave my SIM in the BB and not b!tch about it.
    bungaboy and shaleem like this.
    07-25-12 09:36 PM
    Which is my point. RIM isn't losing anything from this. If the same thing doesn't happen with other carriers I'd assume that it's Rogers' doing and not RIM.
    Happens everyday in the U.S. again, not even a RIM issue. It's strictly a carrier preference issue. In this case, I suspect it is because Rogers has A LOT of users on a 6GB BB data plans and now that they are offering a new 6GB which requires a data contract, they're kicking folks off to force them onto the new 6GB non-BB data which in turn, would renew their data contract with Rogers unless customers put up a stink. I know because I have two lines and wanted to swap one of my 6GB BB plans to a normal 6GB data plan and they wouldn't allow me without another data contract and I wasn't in the mood to argue it with retentions so I kept the 6GB BB data plan.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 09:39 PM

This is what my network has told me. People have been getting this warning on their bills for months. I haven't yet.

I use my Blackberry a few times a week for biking, hiking, boating, etc.

Hopefully, the RIM system only flags inactivity after say 30 days.
    07-25-12 09:40 PM
    RIM is not pushing away clients because of this. When you setup a plan with Telus or rogers, you are getting a blackberry plan. Plain and simple. That is how the system is setup. If you leave blackberry, then you have to update your plan. No brainer.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 09:43 PM
    Why should they provide the data if your not using their product? This isn't wrong. It's business. Would mc donalds let people eat burger King if the burgers were in big mac wrappers? You want blackberry data? Get a blackberry. The hardware and software are a package deal.
    A better analogy is that you have this nice restaurant (RIM's network) but you make lousy food compared to your competitors (RIM's handsets). People buy food from other restaurants and eat it in your restaurant (RIM restaurant) that is losing money and market share. These people are paying you $5 to sit in your RIM restaurant. But even though you are losing money and market share, you kick out these customers who are willing to pay to sit in your restaurant.

The only thing saving RIM right now is subscriber fees.
    07-25-12 09:44 PM
    I'm not seeing a problem. RIM never intended for their data plan to be used
    on anything other than their devices.

The onus here is on the user to use the correct equipment with the proper
    service and failure to do so leaves them no basis to complain.
    What about people that want to use a Blackberry and iphone or Android on the same SIM like me? I am using a Galaxy Nexus while waiting for BB10.
    07-25-12 09:46 PM
    I'm one of those people. If AT&T sent me the email above, you know what
    I'd do? I'd leave my SIM in the BB and not b!tch about it.
    Or there's the other type of person who opts into switching to a standard data plan and tossing the BB into the drawer to collect dust.

If an average person just bought a brand new Galaxy S III which they use alongside their old BB Bold, which one do you think would get the boot if they were forced to make the choice?
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    07-25-12 09:47 PM
    First, RIM doesn't have a "network".

Second, you honestly believe Rogers? In your described scenario, Rogers pay $5 per month for your BIS plan to RIM. In turn, RIM has to provide you with nothing since you are not using BIS.

So RIM gets $5 for nothing, and Rogers pays $5 for nothing, yet you believe them when they tell you that RIM is behind all this? Wow...just wow
    This all started when I inquired about changing my SIM card to a microSIM so I can get a Samsung Galaxy SIII. At that point Rogers said I have to pay $30 more per month for the same plan.

When I said I want to keep my old plan like I am currently doing, that works with my Galaxy Nexus, Rogers said RIM is going to shut down that loop hole on August 20th.

If Rogers is behind this, I will switch to Telus or Bell out of protest.
    07-25-12 09:50 PM
    Sad that you believe RIM is behind this. The reasons have already been laid out for you but just in case you didn't know, U.S. carriers have been doing this for years.
    Well I just got off the phone with Rogers and they emphatically said RIM is behind this 100%!
    07-25-12 09:53 PM
    Happens everyday in the U.S. again, not even a RIM issue. It's strictly a carrier preference issue. In this case, I suspect it is because Rogers has A LOT of users on a 6GB BB data plans and now that they are offering a new 6GB which requires a data contract, they're kicking folks off to force them onto the new 6GB non-BB data which in turn, would renew their data contract with Rogers unless customers put up a stink. I know because I have two lines and wanted to swap one of my 6GB BB plans to a normal 6GB data plan and they wouldn't allow me without another data contract and I wasn't in the mood to argue it with retentions so I kept the 6GB BB data plan.
    You are right. Rogers says if RIM cuts me off, I have to pay an extra $30 per month for the same plan. They told me RIM is behind this but I can believe Rogers is.
    07-25-12 09:57 PM
141 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD