I don't understand iphone is the most advanced phone on the market with up to date technology . Can anyone tell me why iphone wasn't included? I am sure the BRAND NEW up to date iphone5 will be able to make credit card payments using it's phone. RIM had phones from a year or two ago. How can this be?

Rogers and CIBC bring first mobile credit card payments to Canada using BlackBerry smartphones | CrackBerry.com
    11-02-12 11:50 AM
    I guess it just shows that Iphones cannot always be First.
    11-02-12 11:59 AM
    3 letters.

NFC
    11-02-12 11:59 AM
    The iPhone does not have NFC. ... not as advanced as you are led to believe
    axeman1000 and CerveloJohn like this.
    11-02-12 12:01 PM
    Because iPhone's do not have NFC capability. Not even the new iPhone5.

Why they didn't include it is a mystery. But I'm sure someone will soon say something negative towards NFC and/or Blakcberry to validate Apple's decision in 3.....2....1......
    axeman1000 likes this.
    11-02-12 12:02 PM
    I think it's a major accomplishment for Blackberry. It's too bad some people can't post positive stories around here without somehow trying to bash another platform. It's like he just can't get Apple out of his head, no matter how hard he tries.
    notfanboy likes this.
    11-02-12 12:03 PM
    First of all, this is a BlackBerry Site. So you should be posting this on a different sites. Second, the iPhone, while advanced, does NOT have NFC built in. BlackBerry was chosen because of their security which is second to none. And they have NFC built in. TOOLS - NOT TOYS.
    I don't understand iphone is the most advanced phone on the market with up to date technology . Can anyone tell me why iphone wasn't included? I am sure the BRAND NEW up to date iphone5 will be able to make credit card payments using it's phone. RIM had phones from a year or two ago. How can this be?

Rogers and CIBC bring first mobile credit card payments to Canada using BlackBerry smartphones | CrackBerry.com
    axeman1000 and bb624 like this.
    11-02-12 12:21 PM
    Reasoning for lack of iPhone 5 NFC is the aluminum backing, which disrupts the NFC signals.
    11-02-12 01:06 PM
    Additionally, NFC could have added a whole 3mm to the thickness of the iPhone 5, rendering it unfashionably thick...
    11-02-12 02:50 PM
    3 letters.

NFC
    I believe Apple said . . . NFW.
    11-02-12 04:27 PM
    I think it's a major accomplishment for Blackberry. It's too bad some people can't post positive stories around here without somehow trying to bash another platform. It's like he just can't get Apple out of his head, no matter how hard he tries.
    Because it always ends up that way. OP is just saving everyone a little time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-02-12 05:08 PM
    Because it always ends up that way. OP is just saving everyone a little time.
    Just think of how much time he could have saved by not making this thread in the first place. :P
    11-02-12 05:45 PM
    Just think of how much time he could have saved by not making this thread in the first place. :P
    It is a very newsworthy story. So why not make it?
    11-02-12 06:25 PM
    My point was even if it starts purely positive it never ends that way. Almost never.

I actually found the linked article interesting. So there's a reason to start it.
    11-02-12 09:24 PM
    Based on the OP's use of capitals, I think they are being facetious and trying to make a point. That said, if BB10 catches on and/or Blackberry's NFC backend payment solution spreads from Canadian carriers globally, iphone owners are going to start feeling pretty stupid when they finally get to the front of line at Tim Hortons after watching blackberry/android/windows phone users Tap to pay and it dawn's on them that they are the only major smartphone platform that can't do NFC. Nothing against iphone, but when people start asking the question that the OP has asked, people will realized that Apple finally dropped the ball.
    GTiLeo and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-02-12 09:34 PM
    For whoever finally gets it done right, NFC mobile payments could be the first truly global killer app.
    11-02-12 09:37 PM
    My point was even if it starts purely positive it never ends that way. Almost never.

I actually found the linked article interesting. So there's a reason to start it.
    My point was that the OP is obsessed with Apple. If anyone else had posted the news, he'd be all over it. But we both agree, he was just saving time.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 11-02-12 at 10:28 PM.
    11-02-12 09:46 PM
    I'm sure Apple left NFC out on purpose. They are saving it for the next version so everyone has to upgrade yet again. Just like they now have all upgraded just to get LTE. Why have NFC on there this round, then no one will buy the next round of the same thing over and over. NFC will be on the next iPhone and everyone will be amazed and blown away at what Apple yet again invented.
    11-02-12 10:25 PM
    For whoever finally gets it done right, NFC mobile payments could be the first truly global killer app.
    I agree...it could be. But are people ready to embrace it? NFC has been around for some time. BlackBerry wasn't the first platform to offer it, but I think given their security record it would be the platform I would trust it with more than the few Android devices I've had with that capability. Still, I'm not willing to put my faith in it quite yet. If it takes off and millions of transactions go without a hitch I might reconsider. But as of now my wallet and my smartphone will remain separate.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    11-02-12 10:33 PM
    A payment solution that supports one bank and relies on a phone with increasingly marginal marketshare isn't going to take off globally. It's of little use to a business if only 1 out of 10 customers can take advantage of your fancy new payment system.

You would need a solution that supports all the major credit and debit cards and runs on phones with 75% marketshare.
    11-02-12 10:47 PM
    How about a solution that supports every financial institution and runs on 100% of NFC enabled phones?

"RIM's SEM solution will help deliver mobile payments and other NFC services to all carriers across all handset platforms that support NFC technology in Canada. Using the security provided by the RIM network and infrastructure will make it easy on financial institutions as they will now only have to take care of one gateway to handle all transactions across carriers and mobile platforms."

The only question that you have to ask yourself is who will people likely trust more with their most sensitive financial data, the OS rated the least secure, Android or Blackberry which everybody knows is the most secure.
    11-02-12 11:18 PM
    How about a solution that supports every financial institution and runs on 100% of NFC enabled phones?

"RIM's SEM solution will help deliver mobile payments and other NFC services to all carriers across all handset platforms that support NFC technology in Canada. Using the security provided by the RIM network and infrastructure will make it easy on financial institutions as they will now only have to take care of one gateway to handle all transactions across carriers and mobile platforms."

The only question that you have to ask yourself is who will people likely trust more with their most sensitive financial data, the OS rated the least secure, Android or Blackberry which everybody knows is the most secure.
    Actually the question is, are people ready to trust NFC with their financial data at all, regardless of the platform? I really don't think so, but if some are ready I'm glad they have the option.
    11-02-12 11:37 PM
    I can see some reasons to choose BlackBerry to start.

1. A history of putting security first.
    2. Canadian company.
    3. Though some other phones have NFC, RIM offers it on all the newer bolds and it works the same on all.
    4. I'd be willing to bet the Canadian banks and card issuers trust RIM to handle this carefully from day one.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    11-02-12 11:43 PM
    Apple prefers fashion over function, so they decided not to include NFC.
    Seeing that Android devices are very insecure, BlackBerry is the only smart choice.
    bb624 likes this.
    11-03-12 04:08 PM
    This is great news for RIM - getting in on the backend to support all phones with NFC, not just their own. Im just waiting for the day I can unlock my car and get into my building with my phone. Mobile payments are great and all, but there's so much more that can be done with it.
    11-03-12 04:25 PM
31 12