I am about to buy a blackberry that is locked to rogers wireless in canada and am looking to unlock it inorder to use it on a virgin mobile server? WILL IT WORK BEFORE I BUY?
    03-01-11 07:04 PM
    isnt Rogers a GSM carrier? And virgin cdma?

If that is true, no it wont work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-11 07:11 PM
    Yes it will work properly. They run on the same 3G bands as well so you should get 3G also. Only downfall is since Bell and Telus never set up an 2G network only 3G phones will work on their network. Therefore Blackberry devices only 9xxx and up models will work.

@syb0rg - In Canada, Virgin was purchased by Bell Canada a few years back and has integrated everything Bell has into virgin as well. So Virgin in Canada has 3G HSPA+ network up and running for their devices as well
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 03-01-11 at 07:25 PM.
    03-01-11 07:19 PM
    isnt Rogers a GSM carrier? And virgin cdma?

If that is true, no it wont work.

Virgin is now both GSM and CDMA. When Bell bought vigin mobile they start to use the bellus (Bell and Telus) HSPA network which is why they currently have the Torch and the 9780 in their linup. So yes it will work just fine

03-01-11 10:34 PM
    locked to rogers ...
    Only the latest models are able to work on both networks. If the OP is shopping for a Pearl or a Curve, they are not compatible.
    03-01-11 10:47 PM
    Oh yeah that's true Reed, their network is 3G only and no EDGE. Just a heads up.

03-01-11 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD