So I bought the Torch 9810 yesterday and I'm happy with the phone but not the speeds I'm getting when tethering. Been doing speed tests constantly hoping the speed improves but would not go past 1.20mb down and .40 up which is the same speeds I was getting with my previous 9800. Tried calling into Rogers tech support also addressing my issue and the rep had no clue what to do and all he could tell me was "Those advertised speeds are not garrunteed, sorry about that sir" even though I told him its not even close to half what its supposed to be. One of the reason I purchased this phone was the increased data speed but unfortunately that's not happening for me. Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 09-04-11 at 11:02 AM.
    09-04-11 10:58 AM
    doesnt surprise me. i was only seeing like 1-5 on at&t's HSPA+ on my droid while my buddy on Sprints WiMax was seeing like 14-17 down.
    09-04-11 11:16 AM
    It very much depends on your location,

I found my speeds in Downtown Toronto are much slower than my speeds in Markham, NewMarket is slower than Barrie.

I think it has to do with network congestion, though I can't be sure since I'm not privy to how it works
    09-04-11 11:19 AM
    It very much depends on your location,

I found my speeds in Downtown Toronto are much slower than my speeds in Markham, NewMarket is slower than Barrie.

I think it has to do with network congestion, though I can't be sure since I'm not privy to how it works
    I live in Winnipeg, and according to rogers website, manitoba is one of the larger provinces with HSPA+ coverage. It really sucks and I've spoken with 3 different reps today and they all didn't know what to do...

09-04-11 12:25 PM
    I live in Winnipeg, and according to rogers website, manitoba is one of the larger provinces with HSPA+ coverage. It really sucks and I've spoken with 3 different reps today and they all didn't know what to do...

Have you tried different area's of the city? Winnipeg has excellent coverage I never noticed myself drop out into EDGE last week when I was there, something I do often in Ontario.

I will admit I never did speed tests whilst in Winnipeg as I connected to Hotel Wifi, or was just BBMing through out the day. but I encourage you to go to tests on the east side vs the west side of town, and test in residential vs industrial areas I would suspect you find the speeds change on population density and proximity to the towers

EDIT:
    On the flip side, talking to reps about speed and coverage issues is pointless

I was far more aware of Rogers Network expansions into North Western Ontario and Manitoba than any of my Rogers Rep friends. Most Reps barely leave their own city, they don't get training on coverage zones, and what can effect coverage in a particular area. They are Sales staff. not technical support.
    Last edited by deRusett; 09-04-11 at 12:31 PM.
    09-04-11 12:29 PM
    Not to go off-topic, but Roger's latest commercial on the students wireless plan, or back to school thing, is featuring bullying!

Just thought I should point that out. The boy gets bullied by the woman. I know some aren't going to like it if they take a second to notice it.

09-04-11 05:04 PM
    I read somewhere that, and im not sure where or what carrier its in regards to, one of the Canadian carriers have a speed cap on their HSPA+ network. So your not getting full speeds as other carriers give out. However I dont know if this is true, just something I heard from the grapevine!
    09-04-11 05:34 PM
    Ok really, I have checked my speed a hundred times on my 9800, and always always always it is around 500 kbps on wifi and 400 kbps on 3g. No matter what area I'm in. WTF is going on with Rogers? I use GIST to measure my speed.

Edit:

Ok, I went to i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and ran a few tests, in Opera Mini 6.1 I got about 2200 kbps, and in the Native BB browser I got about 6800 kbps.
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 09-04-11 at 07:22 PM.
    09-04-11 07:04 PM
    Ok really, I have checked my speed a hundred times on my 9800, and always always always it is around 500 kbps on wifi and 400 kbps on 3g. No matter what area I'm in. WTF is going on with Rogers? I use GIST to measure my speed.

Edit:

Ok, I went to i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and ran a few tests, in Opera Mini 6.1 I got about 2200 kbps, and in the Native BB browser I got about 6800 kbps.
    That's what I was getting too before I got the torch 2, so frusterating. I'm fine with the speed I'm getting on my phone but it makes a big difference when you're tethering.

09-04-11 07:38 PM
    Wow.. a carrier not giving you what they advertise?! I'm shocked. Lol

Carrier speeds are always relative to network coverage, area and network use at the time. Hence all the ****** disclaimers on their lame commercials.
    09-04-11 09:02 PM
    My streaming tests show a 25% increase from the Curve 3G to the Torch 9860. My tests were done from the same location and that what the difference is between the 2 devices.
    Last edited by NFLPLAYBOOK; 09-04-11 at 09:34 PM.
    09-04-11 09:06 PM
    I just ran that tinyspeedtest and I'm getting 1300 at best... The same as my gf's 9800. My 9810 doesn't say H+ like I see in the pictures and dummy phones in stores... Should this make a difference? I'm with MTS in Manitoba which uses Roger's Towers.

EDIT: I used tether to download a file from Microsoft's website at speeds peaking at 200kb/s. My 9800 would get about 140kb/s but in a completely different area with less/spotty coverage.

Last edited by sofakingcdn; 09-04-11 at 10:28 PM.
    09-04-11 10:17 PM
    It really depends on if your carrier has rolled out HSPA+ in your area.
    09-04-11 11:21 PM
    Rogers brand 9810's say h+ MTS is on Roger's towers.

09-05-11 09:11 AM
    Doesn't trying to run a speed test through the BB browser not work accurately because of RIMs data compression?

My friends BB on AT&T gets lower down/upload speeds than my VZW iPhone and I know that is bogus. AT&T has a faster network that VZW (unless you are on LTE), and my iPhone on AT&T would always get around 3Mbps. My BBs would always stay in the 1Mbps range.
    09-05-11 09:27 AM
    Rogers brand 9810's say h+ MTS is on Roger's towers.

Yeah....and i am on MTS service and all there symbol is 3G.....wish i had the H+ symbol!!
    09-06-11 03:51 PM
    Is your Bridge browser speeds being capped by Bluetooth speed limitations and not your Carrier speeds?
    09-06-11 04:38 PM
    Yeah....and i am on MTS service and all there symbol is 3G.....wish i had the H+ symbol!!
    Yeah. An MTS rep said that 3G is HSPA... Whatever.

09-06-11 09:45 PM
    Is your Bridge browser speeds being capped by Bluetooth speed limitations and not your Carrier speeds?
    No I tether not bridge, mainly because its slower than the tethering speeds. Anyways, when I tether (not bridge) I'm not getting the speeds that I was expecting, not even half way atleast and that's what my frustration is all about. Oh well, it aint the first time Roger's advertising mislead. I hope someone sues them for all these misleading ads just like what happened to Bell in Quebec...

09-06-11 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD