The 9700 supports UMA, Rogers supports UMA (TalkSpot), but Rogers is not currently supporting UMA on the 9700 - does anyone know the reasons why, and/or if Rogers will be enabling support in the near future, and/or know how to manually enable UMA on the 9700?
    11-22-09 08:52 AM
    This is what I found from another form.

TedZone posted the relevant parts of the memo (originally in French), translated into English:

For privacy reasons, I copied and pasted only the relevant part of the email and unfortunately-- it was in french only (i'm in Mtl)

If u don't read French and no one can expl it to you... I will. Just don't feel like it right now :-)
    The main issue seems to be that the "GAN (Global Access Node)" at Rogers isn't ready for 9700 UMA. It also insists that the 97 will work uma soon.
    Hope that helps.

- Le SKU a t ouvert vendredi dernier
    - Le 9700 aura quelques petits problmes mineures avec son OS au lancement
    - RIM et Rogers vont sortir la patch de mise jour d'ici qq semaines
    - La 2me commande des 9700 aura dj la nouvelle mise jour
    - Je ne sais pas si les problmes sont unique Rogers ou si Bell vont avoir la mme situation
    - Le 9700 est compatible UMA, par contre
    - Le serveur GAN (Global Access Node) de Rogers n'est pas prt pour UMA pour le 9700
    - ventuellement le 9700 sera UMA mais pas de date ce jour

English translation courtesy of Google:

- The SKU was opened last Friday
    - The 9700 has some minor problems with its OS to launch
    - RIM and Rogers will leave the patch update by qq weeks
    - The 2nd order of 9700 will have the new update
    - I do not know if the problems are unique to Rogers or Bell will have the same situation
    - The 9700 is compatible UMA by cons ...
    - The server GAN (Global Access Node) Rogers is not ready for the 9700 UMA
    - Possibly the 9700 UMA but will not date to date
    11-30-09 02:21 AM
    Ok yall , UMA issue fixed download the 5.0.0.862 o.s ,I have a Rogers 9700 and now it works !!!!! made my first UMA call using wifi only , u will have to subscribe to local talkspot $10 or $15 Canada wide .Msg me with any questions .
    08-02-10 10:20 AM
    Ok yall , UMA issue fixed download the 5.0.0.862 o.s ,I have a Rogers 9700 and now it works !!!!! made my first UMA call using wifi only , u will have to subscribe to local talkspot $10 or $15 Canada wide .Msg me with any questions .
    This is a great news! (BTW, you don't actually need to subscribed to TalkSpot to use UMA, you only need to subscribe to it if you don't want your UMA calls to come out of your regular cell minutes bucket. I have an 8220 right now using UMA without TalkSpot.)
    08-02-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD