Lets say I'm roaming, and I turn data services to OFF WHEN ROAMING, then I enable WIFI to check my emails, BBM ect... I know my blackberry is still using the BIS server via WIFI, will I be charged data roaming, is there any possibility?
    06-13-10 08:25 AM
    mmm . . If data service is off, I'm not sure that you can check your Emails, BBM, .. etc. even if you are using wifi.

I could be wrong though
    06-13-10 08:33 AM
    You can, I've tried it. Just disable all your radio Manage Network > Mobile Network, Uncheck that. And use wifi, and you can use it. I want to know if I do this while roaming like i stated in the first post, can I possibly get roaming charges!
    06-13-10 08:56 AM
    I would like to know the answer to this too! I'm heading to Vegas tonight from Canada and want to use wifi for data.

I thought you go to manage connections turn off your Mobile Connections and then enable wifi and your good to go. But I'm not sure if that's correct

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-13-10 09:02 AM
    You are correct. Wifi will work.

06-13-10 09:56 AM
    If you are working only on WiFi, you will not be charged for data use.

I have found it neccessary to turn data off completely rather than Off When Roaming. I found that this did not stop my data flow. Naughty, naughty carrier.
    06-13-10 12:19 PM
    What they said!
    06-13-10 12:23 PM
    If you are working only on WiFi, you will not be charged for data use.

I have found it neccessary to turn data off completely rather than Off When Roaming. I found that this did not stop my data flow. Naughty, naughty carrier.
    This is interesting, I thought I was safe when I choose 'off while roaming'.

My experience was (which I might be wrong) I needed to set it to 'off while roaming' in order to get the data services to work over wifi.
    06-13-10 01:42 PM
    This is interesting, I thought I was safe when I choose 'off while roaming'.

My experience was (which I might be wrong) I needed to set it to 'off while roaming' in order to get the data services to work over wifi.
    I did too until I was on vacation in the US. I was in a mall and saw the data activity arrows working. I had Data Off When Roaming. I opened the native browser and immediately got on to the internet at vast expense.

I turned the data Off and it all stopped.

I have no explanation but I know how to fix it.
    06-13-10 02:24 PM
    I did too until I was on vacation in the US. I was in a mall and saw the data activity arrows working. I had Data Off When Roaming. I opened the native browser and immediately got on to the internet at vast expense.

I turned the data Off and it all stopped.

I have no explanation but I know how to fix it.

I've heard of this as well, that is why I have some doubt on its efficiency.
    06-13-10 02:31 PM
    I've noticed that the data will turn on any chance it gets as well - if you toggle the networks, data will come back, if you reboot the phone, the BB will do everything it can to sneak data where it can. I've got a North America package now - so it's no big worry for me.

I've flown international though, before leaving I disabled data while roaming - turned off my wireless radio - enabled WiFi on the flight there - and had data as normal. Sort of a different situation - but same logistics.

Random note - just thought about UMA and using it on WiFi while travelling or even while on a flight. Suddenly I see a personal use for UMA.
    06-14-10 01:43 AM
    You can, I've tried it. Just disable all your radio Manage Network > Mobile Network, Uncheck that. And use wifi, and you can use it. I want to know if I do this while roaming like i stated in the first post, can I possibly get roaming charges!
    Wifi will work but only for browser and apps which can use wifi only.
    Your push email will NOT work

06-14-10 09:38 AM
    When i went to Colombia 3 weeks ago from NY i took my bb9700 with me and turned off all the connections except for wifi. i was connected thru UMA and was able to make calls and browse the web and even use bbm all for free, well when i say free i mean its charged as if u were in the USA. very useful if you travel alot, its the reason why i stuck with blackberry since i travel out of the states regularly. UMA for the win!
    06-15-10 02:44 AM
    Push email worked fine for me over WIFI whilst I was on holiday in the Canaries earlier this year.

I just set data to be "off" before I left the UK, and found a couple of bars with free WIFI when I got to my destination. Searched for the WIFI signal - input password if needed - and saved them.

Every time I went past them, my pocket started going "ber-bling" with new emails. I was able to answer them whilst within range too.
    06-15-10 07:29 AM
    Wifi will work but only for browser and apps which can use wifi only.
    Your push email will NOT work
    That is NOT my experience. WiFi alone can provide support for full BlackBerry data service - Email, BBM, browser, all the regular features.

I have been offshore 60 miles from the nearest cellular tower, and operated BB data over wifi and a satellite comms link. Even the service onshore in that part of the world doesn't support data, GSM (basic voice/sms) only. Once again, WiFi provided a BB service.
    06-15-10 09:07 AM
    "Using UMA/Wifi simply creates a VPN through to your carrier...Your account will still be seen as active and billable!"
    06-15-10 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD