I have a question that could pose as silly :P

I have the 8900 on Rogers, and I do use UMA. So my question is, if I go to another country and I use UMA on wifi rather than a different operator, is that considered roaming? Because I will be on Rogers' network ...
    05-18-09 06:57 PM
    you will be using your home minute while on UMA
    05-18-09 07:10 PM
    you will be using your home minute while on UMA
    So it will be as if I am at home, it just goes out of my regular minutes/data?
    I am not as concerned about voice as much as I am about data. I can use skype
    05-18-09 07:13 PM
    Unfortunalty, It is not quite that simple with Rogers.

22. Can I use my Talkspot phone outside of Canada?

The TALKSPOT options will not work out side of Canada. You will be unable to take advantage of unlimited calling within your TALKSPOT when outside of Canada.
    T-Mobile and Orange UK both permit UMA access internationaly, Rogers is just mean that way.
    05-19-09 10:16 AM
    I was just reading this on Crackberry.com and I am assuming that I have my answer, but I am still unsure.

" The carrier has no way of knowing where in the world you are when you connect to them over WiFi. This means that they continue to simply deduct minutes off your regular monthly plan. If you are travelling internationally and connect to hotel WiFi, or a client’s WiFi, or airport lounge WiF, and make calls, your carrier doesn’t charge you outrages roaming fees in addition to deducting minutes."

Is it really true? I don't have a talkspot plan, I just use UMA and it takes from my regular airtime (I have enough to sell )
    05-19-09 04:59 PM
    That is a good point, the information is specific to TalkSpot, but it may not be applicipable to UMA in general.

05-19-09 06:24 PM
    UMA itself doesn't know (or care) where you're connecting from if you have wifi access. It is, however, entirely Rogers-like to specifically disable it in foreign countries just so they can screw you for roaming charges. My phone doesn't do UMA, so I don't know about the reality of the situation.
    05-19-09 07:35 PM
    UMA itself doesn't know (or care) where you're connecting from if you have wifi access. It is, however, entirely Rogers-like to specifically disable it in foreign countries just so they can screw you for roaming charges. My phone doesn't do UMA, so I don't know about the reality of the situation.
    that is exactly what im worried about. how would they know where i am? I mean, the internet in canada is the same as the internet in germany, when my blackberry connects to wifi/uma it shouldn't roam because i will have turned off the regular GSM network in favor of wifi. Wouldn't them finding out where I am through wifi be a breach of my privacy or some fun thing like that?
    05-19-09 10:07 PM
    The carrier can tell what country the source IP is registered in and determine what country you are connecting from.

UMA created an IPSec tunnel back to the carrier's servers. The servers can take the source address and compare it to a database to determine where you are connecting from. If you are connecting from outside Canada they can keep the tunnel from establishing or, possibly, allow the connection but charge international rates.
    Last edited by dervari; 05-19-09 at 10:43 PM.
    05-19-09 10:41 PM
    Wouldn't them finding out where I am through wifi be a breach of my privacy or some fun thing like that?
    Tell it to Hulu and .... to name a few. Check out those links, fellow Canadian.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 05-20-09 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Content moderation
    05-19-09 11:17 PM
    from personal experience i've travelled across canada and it works
    05-12-11 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD