I posted this in my newly re-minted blog, but thought crackberry users might want to know some of this stuff as well.

So you�re going to Beijing for the Olympics this year? Taking your mobile? Hoping to be able to call phone as needed or otherwise stay in touch? Well, you�re in luck - if your phone is GSM-based.

China Unicom has carrier agreements with most western carriers, so chances are that if you use a major carrier like T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone, O2 or Orange, you�re in luck. I have heard, however, that the roaming rates are exceptionally high, though the international rates for a Chinese SIM (if I understand correctly) aren�t much better. If you�ve already got a 3G phone - don�t worry, chances are you�re covered there, as well.

So how can you find out if you�ll be able to make calls - for GSM, feel free to check GSMWorld�s China Unicom roaming partnerships - chances are that�ll be your network while in the country.

So you have a carrier that is still using CDMA like Sprint or Verizon? No worries, China has CDMA roaming as well - Verizon specifically states that their roaming charge for China is $1.29 USD/min and offers a city coverage list. Sprint offers a coverage list as well, and states that the rate is $2.29 USD/min for voice.

So there you go, a quick breakdown on the Olympics and international roaming.
    04-15-08 10:21 AM
    I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to protest this thread... haha
    04-15-08 10:36 AM
    I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to protest this thread... haha
    I'm surprised someone hasn't already. Or at least PM'd me about it.
    04-15-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD