I do a lot of road biking (cycling) and think that the 8900 (with GPS) would make for an excellent bike computer. Can anyone direct me towards a mount for my road bike bars? (I'd also be interested in any cycle computer recommendations.)

Thanks,
    RB
    02-11-09 01:02 PM
    That is something you're probably going to have to google. Or make youself lol. Good luck
    02-11-09 02:29 PM
    To be honest, I'd get a dedicated bike GPS. I'm a fellow roadie and I use a Garmin Edge 305 (I'd love the 705, though) and am quite happy with it. My BB is in my Camelbak. Cycling is my escape from the world where I don't have to be beholden to a phone and I can just concentrate on pedaling and what's in front of me.
    02-11-09 04:40 PM
    I do a lot of road biking (cycling) and think that the 8900 (with GPS) would make for an excellent bike computer. Can anyone direct me towards a mount for my road bike bars? (I'd also be interested in any cycle computer recommendations.)

Thanks,
    RB
    Like what in post #2 says, make one by yourself.. please let us know hows it turn out and selling it on market for bicycle riders by your business success in future spotlight..

Good luck!
    02-11-09 05:26 PM
    The GPS software from GPSed.com lets you map your tracks and it'll display your speed/distance/direction, etc. Maybe that'll satisfy some of your bike-computer needs?
    02-12-09 08:14 PM
    one better with with a slew of maps, elevations change, tracking on-line and more than I could even metion here is AllSportGPS. AllSport GPS phone- and web-based application for fitness performance tracking

Check it out. It's well worth a look
    03-03-09 10:12 AM
    Let us know what you find... I have used my BlackBerry 8120 in the past for tracking bike rides, but the accuracy was poor due to my GPS puck being in my pocket.
    03-03-09 10:34 AM
    I use a Garmin 705 for my road bike. I agree with thehawkins. I'd recommend the separate unit. Garmin's Edge 305 or 705 are excellent units and, with the 705, you can upload your workouts to their website for stats.

I keep my BB in my jersey with a silicone case so it doesn't get sweaty
    03-03-09 10:55 AM
    When I go riding, I won't leave without my phone. I have instamapper.com track my device and it shows me where I was and how fast I was going on the PC, and they have a mobile version as well.

While I'm riding I use BB maps to show me my location and speed.

I have a headset attached and listen to music.

I make phone calls.

To attach my phone I used a mix of a case with strong tape to attach to the handlebars. Not secure enough for mountain biking, but I rode 25mi on streets and it worked.
    03-03-09 11:41 AM

Thanks,
    RB
    i don't have enough posts to post a link but google "amzer smartphone bicycle mount for blackberry" and click on the first result... it says it's for the storm but it's also compatible with the bold and curve
    06-18-09 11:33 PM
    Invest in a Polar cycle GPS.
    Best 4 thousand dimes you'll ever spend.
    06-19-09 12:08 AM
    Having been an avid road biker for many years as in, since way before GPS until an accident left me with 2 crushed vertebrae, I would not want my BB on the handlebars of my bike. Way too many times Ive hit a hole and had bike computers, with their factory designed mounts, bounce out and hang by the cable until I was able to stop and reconnect it. Not to mention the road rash I collected numerous times from cars cutting me off or pulling out in front of me, etc. Id much rather use an inexpensive thrift store GPS for the bike and keep the BB safely packed away.
    06-19-09 12:09 AM
    I am going on a bike trip through Germany in September and would like to bring a GPS device that has the extensive bike route maps that are available through the German biking federation. they have maps and a set of DVDs.

Does anyone know if the these routes can be downloaded onto a GPS device from a dvd?

Or if there is a German site that i can go to that will allow me to download that information onto a GPS device. the idea is to have the device - handlebar mounted - talk me through the confusing German road system.

RWP
    04-01-10 08:06 PM
    I've developed a speedometer app that integrates bbmaps. not sure if the maps part would work for what your looking for but it does log all your rides and all of that. i did come accross an app before called TrekBuddy that allows you to create your own maps. you basically just upload images of the map and geotag the corners of the picture. that app didnt do navigation tho it just showed your current position on the map, but it was good as you didnt need a network for it to work

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    07-23-10 07:54 AM

Thanks,
    RB
    for mounting on the handle bars i just got an old case, cut a window for the screen out on it and put electrical tape around the bottom. secured it to the handlebar stem using a cable tie (hard piece of plastic betweeh the cable tie and the case to stop it from ripping) and it works great, very secure wouldnt worry about it falling off at all. also did something similar with another case, just cut out a smaller window that fits just the screen and the menu buttons and then just attached an elastic (like the one you get for making clothes that are fabric and about an inch wide) to the end of it to stop it from slipping out. heres a picture of the electrical tape one on the link below (running BBSpeedOMeter, which has a backlight always on feature so works great on the handle bars)

Mounted on the handle bars, modified case and cable tie. on Twitpic
    07-23-10 10:16 AM
    I use this holder from Ram Mounts on my motorcycle. Just got back from a 2000 mile ride and never even came close to coming loose.
    07-23-10 10:48 AM
    I've spent a while experimenting with the right bits of software and bike mount so I can use my Blackberry as a mounted GPS on my bike. The total cost was under 20/$30.

1. Install Google Maps

2. Buy Leave it On for $4 from the Blackberry App store. This allows you to override the default screen time out - really annoying if you're using mapping. Theres probably a free option, but for the sake of $4 Id rather get something that works. Adds a handy little menu item to all your apps to leave the backlight on, or use the default timeout. Very simple to use and install.
    appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/4893

3. If you want a free GPS tracker (burns the battery down a tad Ive found, remember to switch it off). Pretty cool app that records your position every X seconds and shows your route. Can upload your route to Google Maps etc.
    emacberry.com/gpsl/gpslogger_03download.html
    GPSLogger Download & Installation

4. Buy a mount for the Blackberry (this is just a big waterproof case that will fit any phone, but actually quite handy as it protects the phone if it falls off).
    amazon.co.uk/Duragadget-Waterproof-holder-Blackberry-storm2/dp/B003UAJ3I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282341323&sr =8-2
    (Duragadget Waterproof holder / case and bike mount)

You can buy a proper Blackberry mount, but its not waterproof and the phone could easily flip out and under a car wheel..

Then use bikeroutetoaster.com (Bike Route Toaster) to create your routes. Save them as a .KML, and load them into Google Maps. You can then add your maps as a layer within Google Maps on the Blackberry (you need a Google account for this).

Takes a little while to get it all set-up, but works fine when you do. Not as good as a dedicated GPS, but perfectly usable, and a tiny fraction of the price. You can use it without the bike mount and backlight software if you want a completely free set-up to check you're on the right route now and then.
    08-20-10 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD