RIM – BB10 True End-Game is QNX & NOC! � Serious Mobile � BB10 True End-Game is QNX &*NOC!

January 6, 2013DonoLeave a commentGo to comments
    Thank you one & all for stopping by.

We�ve all heard the haters, analysts, and fanboys of other platforms all shoot down RIM and the BlackBerry platform every chance they get! Is it to short the stock (buy low and sell high), or just because they believe a Canadian company no longer deserves a second chance at success or opportunity?!

Analysts ALL have conclusively � on a global scale � deduced RIM has no real future; even Gartner themselves believe RIM will not exists in less than 20 months (I�ve personally spoke to a Gartner mobile analyst in July 2012 at a corporate event).

These naysayers to RIM & BB10′s success all agree that RIM�s end game is the make a break launch of BB10. Think about that for a second � a one day event for a launch of a product is the make a break, not a full quarter of sales, partnerships, application debuts, nor collaborations like all other platforms have had to earn in several months, even several quarters after launch. Last time I checked � RIM is a global company not a one nation sales company. The end game is NOT BB10′s success alone.

Over the next 23 days you�ll see RIM�s marketing machine kick into high gear! You�re already seeing BBJam events, hackathons, web featurettes (Inside/Developer/Business BlackBerry Blogs), etc show off what exactly BB10 can do, and how it can make your mobile experience that much easier and so much more sweeter than the competition.

Let�s look at QNX for some background information, before we understand where RIM is REALLY going.

Some still are not sure why RIM chose to purchase QNX just over a 1.5yrs ago. To them I say do a little research. QNX is a true, real-time OS! But real-life benefits does QNX offer us? Most people do not see QNX let alone know it exists until RIM started using it in press releases about BB10.

QNX software is used in embedded systems all around us � yet its not limited to embedded systems. Automobile (cars & trucks) CPU�s and infotainment applications,medical devices, nuclear reactors/management systems, parking meters, credit card machines, ticket booths and much more which I�ll get to shortly.

QNX Customers: include �*Acura,*AdTran,*AECL,*Audi,*BMW,*BTI Photonics,*Caterpillar,*Chrysler,*Ciena,*Cisco Systems,*Daewoo,*DragonWave,*Emerson Process Management,*Fortna,*General Electric,*GM (On-Star is based on QNX so you know how QNX works with internet/intranet connecitivty in the mobile space!)*Hyundai,*Infinera,*Intalysis,*JDSU WaveReady,*Kieback & Peter,*Land Rover,*Novar/Honeywell,*Porsche,*Precitech,*Renault, Samsung,*Saab (their still a company??),*Tridium, and the*US Postal Service.

QNX-in-Education Program: For academic faculty (RIM can easily jump into the education space for K12 Education. Recall Unisys ICON; yup Ontario Education system�s own computer design.)

QNX automotive software stack:

QNX Ecosystem within the cars and what it works with:

What is more interesting is somewhere else that we see QNX being utilized � where its not just the kernel with various UI overlays but seeing its networking stack being used in such a secure manner.*Mission Critical Defense Market*- yes the military uses QNX �

Organizations such as the US Army, NASA, BAE Systems, Harris, Lockheed Martin, Naval Undersea Warfare Center, and Boeing have engaged with QNX Software Systems on a wide range of projects that share the same demanding requirements. Examples these mission critical systems include:

Unmanned aircraft control systems
    Acoustic sensors for tracking tank movements
    JTRS wireless military radios
    High-capacity data radios
    Autonomous underwater vehicles
    Guidance systems for anti-tank weapons
    Embedded controller for aerospace applications
    Wearable GPS/communication systems for ground troops
    Transponder landing systems
    Military weather satellite test beds

I�ll bet you thought this stuff was only available in PS3/XBox games like Modern Warfare and the like � we�ll its been there in testing or in the real military warfare for years! It is in this type of environment, engaged use that you understand just how robust, reliable, how easily it is to augment and build upon while remaining robust, and the networking stack of how QNX really works where the worth is!!

BB10 is just the first plan in RIM�s end-game in this mobile chess board. RIM�s NOC (Network Operations Centre) has been secretly overhauled running QNX within their infrastructure (not just using Cisco ASA�s and other switching equipment). BB10 runs on QNX Micro-Kernel OS, yet QNX is not just for their BB10 OS and devices, but mostly for their M2M (Machine to Machine) strategy.

Thorsten Heins has already stated that RIM �

�We believe in mobile computing, not just mobile phones.*QNX taught us a lot about cars, but we also asked, what does it mean for other domains? For example, it can be the mobile computing system to manage an energy grid. It is for more than just BlackBerry 10.

I want us to be the company that manages all mobile computing end points, whether in a phone or car, across the data network globally. Today we are connecting 654 carriers, and our system is being used to carry data, reliably, across these networks.

That�s the vision for the company. I want to take it into the mobile computing space and be clear leader in that space.�

source: Thorsten Heins interview Pt 2: Secrets of BlackBerry 10 : Marklives!com

RIM is interested in the Machine to Machine business � THIS my friends is the end-game for RIM!

This is the secure, reliable connectivity layer for mobile computing that sits on top of carrier networks. They can run their own services across it, but the* secure layer on top of this, globally, will come from us.

Think of a car manufacturer that sells cars globally, and needs to address all in-car computers from a certain series, and get a message out, like �Put the car in the garage for the next 24 hours because we are giving it a big software update�. How many vehicle recalls do you see these days? Imagine the time and cost that can be saved if we can provide telemetry data from all these cars, on a* globally connected system, and with the endpoints managed for reliability and security.

There is so much to do right now � it is overwhelming in terms of priorities. RIM needs to figure out where to be the enabler, and where to utilise our own servers. But the opportunity is huge: mobile computing, end-point management, API�s created to add sensors to devices, using the mobile data network for distribution � basically any vertical application where we think we have a play, and where we can use our push and compression services.

Smartphones and tablets part of it, but they are not the only purpose of the company.

Other blogs have already pointed out to RIM�s potential future showing off �Enterprising Minds� look at using QNX � I�ve already done this on December 30, 2012 in my post �QNX � Imagined: Your car in the not-so-distant future�. Now you understand what RIM�s real goal is � if you think Google is the end all and be all of internet search, think of RIM�s NOC+QNX as the end all and be all of Machine to Machine business! Oracle, VMWare and many others are scrambling to match this.

Goodnight all and have a pleasant, productive and interesting work week while watching the news and tweets of CES2013.

About these ads
    01-07-13 06:19 PM
    People think of "infrastructure" in terms of the app store, but this provides some evidence that RIM has more going for it than that.

It is, indeed, a "connected computing" paradigm and RIM might just be in the best position to take advantage of it. They already have a network, and a seemingly-bulletproof OS. Hard to say how well RIM will be able to leverage this, but we'll start to see soon
    01-07-13 06:25 PM
    A simple click to say "thanks" and "I like this" didn't seem to quite be enough here. So a written THANK YOU for this seemed in order.
    01-07-13 06:56 PM
    People think of "infrastructure" in terms of the app store, but this provides some evidence that RIM has more going for it than that.

It is, indeed, a "connected computing" paradigm and RIM might just be in the best position to take advantage of it. They already have a network, and a seemingly-bulletproof OS. Hard to say how well RIM will be able to leverage this, but we'll start to see soon
    Ah yes, the missing element, theres no pudding yet to find the proof. Thing is that all the hard work is not only on RIM's sholders to produce. They have to light the fire under the arses of all their exsisting customer's (QNX Customers) to provide solutions with QNX and the NOC in mind. I believe Jan 30th we will start to see that all this is well underway!! RIM, QNX and all their current customers are way ahead of the competition! Thing is they have been unable, up to this point to discuss anything.
    01-07-13 06:58 PM
    A simple click to say "thanks" and "I like this" didn't seem to quite be enough here. So a written THANK YOU for this seemed in order.
    Thanks! its aways my pleasure!!
    BB10 Believe it!
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-07-13 07:02 PM
    Mobile computing
    01-07-13 07:17 PM
    This is what I am wondering; If RIM "bought" QNX, then does everyone on the laundry list of users license the kernel from RIM (another revenue stream)? Does it preclude other mobile Operating Systems from pursuing the same type (real time) of operating system?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 07:18 PM
    QNX is fully patent protected, I can assure you that! Also its been refined for over 30 years and adopted by industries at the same time!
    Not easy to replicate!
    Some have made mention of QNX revenue not being very high. True but as the OS evolves new services are introduced. Think about the RIM NOC that all changes. The land grab of customers happened years ago.
    Remember the land grab that is Android! is not the only one!
    Last edited by FanBlackBerrytastic; 01-08-13 at 01:05 AM.
    01-07-13 07:49 PM
    This is what I am wondering; If RIM "bought" QNX, then does everyone on the laundry list of users license the kernel from RIM (another revenue stream)? Does it preclude other mobile Operating Systems from pursuing the same type (real time) of operating system?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I think QNX before RIM was actually free. It was owned, developed and maintained by a non profit foundation. I'm sure they'll find ways to monetise it as it morphs.
    01-07-13 08:31 PM
    I am a bit disapointed in CB's coverage of CES. I have been watching the live keynotes and there has been some amazing progress in this very idea of Mobile Computing. Intel and Sammy have some good ideas. I do believe that QNX gives RIM a leg up but everthing has to be cross platform
    01-07-13 08:31 PM
    I think QNX before RIM was actually free. It was owned, developed and maintained by a non profit foundation. I'm sure they'll find ways to monetise it as it morphs.
    Can you elaborate, provide anything to back up what you have stated?
    I believe Harman might beg to differ with your thoughts on their Business plan!

About Harman International
    Harman International (www.harman.com) designs, manufactures and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment products for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. The Company maintains a strong presence in the Americas, Europe and Asia and employs about 11,000 people worldwide. The Harman International family of brands spans some 15 leading names including AKG�, Harman Kardon�, Infinity�, JBL�, Lexicon� and Mark Levinson�. The company's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol HAR.
    01-07-13 08:34 PM
    I am a bit disapointed in CB's coverage of CES. I have been watching the live keynotes and there has been some amazing progress in this very idea of Mobile Computing. Intel and Sammy have some good ideas. I do believe that QNX gives RIM a leg up but everthing has to be cross platform
    Agree! but perhaps all's quiet on the home front until Jan 30th? CB or MN should have something though!
    01-07-13 08:37 PM
    Can you elaborate, provide anything to back up what you have stated?
    QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In September 2007 QNX Software Systems announced the availability of some of its source code.[5]

On April 9, 2010, Research In Motion announced they would acquire QNX Software Systems from Harman International Industries.[6] On the same day, QNX source code access was restricted."
    01-07-13 08:37 PM
    "I think QNX before RIM was actually free. It was owned, developed and maintained by a non profit foundation"

"the availability of some of its source code.[5]"

Ok, if thats the story you want to tell! Do you by chance work in the media?
    Last edited by FanBlackBerrytastic; 01-08-13 at 04:46 AM.
    01-07-13 08:44 PM
    "I think QNX before RIM was actually free. It was owned, developed and maintained by a non profit foundation"

"the availability of some of its source code.[5]"

Ok, if that the story you want to tell! Do you by chance work in the media?
    Not at all. It's not a story, but sometimes the truth hurts too. I was in no way belittling the potential that QNX holds for RIM. Personally, I think it's the smartest single thing they ever did. It was a very cheap way to buy into the future - it's virtually future proofing their devices. I think. But, hey, what do I know?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-07-13 08:48 PM
    Make a break?
    01-07-13 09:18 PM
    I educated myself a little bit on QNX when the release of the PlayBook. With some research and keeping in-tuned with CrackBerry and RIM, I was intrigued enough with QNX that I purchased the PlayBook. I was amazed how (silently) powerful QNX was in the computing and communication industry.

I believe the OP is spot on with the future of RIM and QNX. Mobile computing hasn't even scratched the surface and I hope to see RIM peel back the top layer on Jan 30th. With RIM keeping a lot EXTREMELY close to them and internal, I hope they have squeeze every possibility out of QNX and it's mobile capabilities.
    01-07-13 09:45 PM
    Gus Papageorgiou discusses the future of M2M and the opportunities for RIM:

BNN Video Player
    cjcampbell and narci like this.
    01-07-13 10:08 PM
    I weep for the English language. This thread is a disaster.

Also qnx is really cool, let's hope they utilize it properly.
    GenTsoChicken likes this.
    01-08-13 12:01 AM
    RIM = Skynet
    GenTsoChicken and Barljo like this.
    01-08-13 12:33 AM
    I educated myself a little bit on QNX when the release of the PlayBook. With some research and keeping in-tuned with CrackBerry and RIM, I was intrigued enough with QNX that I purchased the PlayBook. I was amazed how (silently) powerful QNX was in the computing and communication industry.

I believe the OP is spot on with the future of RIM and QNX. Mobile computing hasn't even scratched the surface and I hope to see RIM peel back the top layer on Jan 30th. With RIM keeping a lot EXTREMELY close to them and internal, I hope they have squeeze every possibility out of QNX and it's mobile capabilities.
    With the way competitors steal one another's ip these days, it's hard to blame RIM for keeping it so quiet. Jan 30th we shall see.
    01-08-13 04:51 AM
    If my understanding of M2M is correct, is Amazon demonstrating this with their Kindle Paperweight 3G? Free 3G connection without a Carrier data plan?

Free 3G Wireless Connects Anywhere

Free, always-connected 3G wireless lets you shop and download books virtually anywhere - no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. There are no plans, annual contracts, or monthly fees for this service, which works globally. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is connected and ready to go the moment you take it out of the box. No setup required.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G - Ereader with Free 3G & Built-In Light
    01-08-13 12:00 PM